Why do in-laws get such a bad rap?

4,422 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by End Of Message
champagnepapi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mine have shown me a great time since meeting them on our first date. I guess there is a story that lies in everyone's opinion.

Care to share why you love/hate your in-laws and why?
Picard
AG
Because they park in their son-in-law's driveway.

Humorous Username
AG
My in-laws are great! They're pretty even-keeled, and just like getting to see their family. My FIL is a retired Army Major, and my MIL is an elementary school principal. They both get along well with most people, and it doesn't hurt that they went to A&M, too.

Edit: The only time my FIL freaked me out was when I asked him if I could marry his daughter, he looked at me dead in the eye and said, "You realize you'll be taking away my first-born angel, right?"
Liquid Wrench

quote:
meeting them on our first date.
Were you both Mexican or just her?
Gnome Sockinabout
My in laws were fantastic. No complaints before or while I was married. They were top notch folks
Ragoo
AG
Love my inlaws. FIL always has a stocked beer fridge and we usually go shoot guns or hunt in his back yard. MIL was just in town last weekend for a visit.
AliasMan02
AG
They are strangers who rapidly become obligatory family. You choose your wife and your friends. You grow up with your family. In-laws are pretty unique in your social structure so there is more of a chance of incompatibility.
Positive Yardage
AG
FIL was amazing guy. We lost him 5 years ago. MIL is generally cranky but slowly losing her to Alzheimer's. Wifes dad and I were buds, he is greatly missed.

In laws get a bad rap because like everything else there are bad ones you hear more about than good ones. You don't see amazing in laws on TV or in movies or where most people get their social education from these days.... Country music.
Humorous Username
AG
My boss has a rough time with his MIL. Unfortunately for him, his in-laws just bought a house on his street, and they're moving in.
TheMasterplan
quote:
They are strangers who rapidly become obligatory family. You choose your wife and your friends. You grow up with your family. In-laws are pretty unique in your social structure so there is more of a chance of incompatibility.
Best explanation.

Single and not married here but it makes sense.
CrottyKid
AG
They do different annoying crap than the annoying crap your parents do that you have learned to look past.
aglaohfour
AG
I adore my in-laws and have always been on friendly terms with them, but it took time for us to really mesh as a family. They live half a block from us, and I see my MIL every single day and FIL a few times a week.

Really the only source of frustration is that MIL freely offers what she believes is constructive criticism of our parenting, but my husband is pretty quick to shut that down. Other than that, I'm really glad that we live so close to them. Their relationship with my daughter is very special and I personally consider them some of my closest friends. I can't imagine how difficult life would be if we didn't get along.
Aggiefan#1
AG
In laws are great.

Generally good fruit comes from good trees.
jh0400
AG
My MIL's family has land with Guadalupe River frontage. When we go visit I spend my time drinking beer on the sandbar. Because of this I get along great with them.
Post removed:
by user
Liquid Wrench
Who knew that Marie Barone posted on Texags?
aglaohfour
AG
I'd be open to suggestions if that's what she was offering. But surprisingly I don't really care to have every single thing I do, from how I wash my toddler's hands to what I feed her for lunch criticized.
Ag81Golf
Difference between in-laws and outlaws? Outlaws are wanted!
Vernada
AG
I have great in-laws. I spend more time with them than my family.
Rutedown
My in-laws rock. Usually take us on one of their vacations, they also have a fridge full different types of beer as well as their own home brew. FIL is like my college buddies just older and find it cool that he is teaching my son to fly a plane. MIL is just a great women and never gives her opinion unless asked. Guess I got lucky.
FNG
quote:
My in-laws rock. Usually take us on one of their vacations, they also have a fridge full different types of beer as well as their own home brew. FIL is like my college buddies just older and find it cool that he is teaching my son to fly a plane. MIL is just a great women and never gives her opinion unless asked. Guess I got lucky.

Your MIL must be genetically engineered.
Camo
ah nvm I could write a book

They are cool but GD they irritate me some times, mainly MIL.
PeekingDuck
AG
Never had a problem with mine. For the most part, I think I get along with them better than my own parents.
aglaohfour
AG
quote:
Your MIL must be genetically engineered.

I'm not just saying this because they're my parents, but my parents 100% mind their own business and don't offer any opinions to my husband or me unless we ask. On the other hand, they're up my sister's ass with unsolicited advice 24/7. I think the root of it is that they trust my husband's and my judgment because otherwise I have no doubt they'd be in our business too.
chjoak
AG
FIL is a nice guy. Can be a little annoying at times but tolerable.
MIL and step-FIL are self centered a-holes. My parents hate them so much that they refuse to be around them except grandkids bdays, etc...
Youngest BIL is cool.
Older BIL is MIL with a peen.
Cromagnum
AG
I get along with my inlaws great. Only problem is between my wife and my mom.
atag
AG
My in laws are great. FIL just helped save us a couple of grand by replacing all of our duct work that needed replacing and MIL is gonna watch our little one on the weekends since daycare only does weekdays. Both of our parents are very hands off in regards to our privacy too. We are lucky.
Talon2DSO
AG
Mine are pretty awesome. I'm lucky to have them
tbirdspur2010
AG
Don't have a problem with my in-laws. Cool folks.
CaddoAggie96
AG
Never had problems with mine. They mind their business.

Wish I could say the same for my wife in regards to my mom.
When she finally realized that we were not having kids her overall demeanor changed towards my wife and even a little towards me.
She would make it a point to make comments about never having grandkids.
It got bad enough I had to tell her that we would no longer visit and that i would be hunting on Thanksgiving from then on and Christmas would be ski trips with friends.
She finally quit and things are better but she was an inconsiderate b for awhile.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
Never had problems with mine. They mind their business.

Wish I could say the same for my wife in regards to my mom.
When she finally realized that we were not having kids her overall demeanor changed towards my wife and even a little towards me.
She would make it a point to make comments about never having grandkids.
It got bad enough I had to tell her that we would no longer visit and that i would be hunting on Thanksgiving from then on and Christmas would be ski trips with friends.
She finally quit and things are better but she was an inconsiderate b for awhile.
Are you an only child?
True Anomaly
AG
My wife's mom is a utter disaster who lives in a run-down cabin in rural upstate New York.

My wife's sister and her husband lives in a multi-million dollar condo in the middle of Pudong New Area in Shanghai.

Guess which one we've been to visit more recently?
atag
AG
My fiances former in laws were insanely white trash. One time at Thanksgiving the brother in law, fresh out of jail, borrows his dad's truck to get cigarettes. An hour or so later they see a high speed chase on tv. It was the bro in law running from the cops.

His new in laws are quite the upgrade.
FIDO*98*
AG
Love my inlaws. Both inlaws treat me like a son and we always enjoy spending time with them.
combat wombat™
AG
I have great in-laws, so I can't say.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.