Question for TexAgs parents

4,780 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by histag10
MEENAGGIE09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How old is old enough to go to bed hungry for refusing to try food?
dubi
AG
We always offered a yogurt or other healthy snack if they did not like dinner. We did not put them to bed hungry.

Ages 23/25 and out of college.
sam callahan

They won't starve
Humorous Username
AG
2 or 3
histag10
AG
My kiddo is only 1, but if he refuses to eat what we have for dinner. We offer him fruit, cheese, or yogurt. If during the day, he "goes hungry" but we keep offering the same food throughout the day. He usually ends up eating it
aglaohfour
AG
Mine is almost 3. Since she started on solids, we've had the "eat what we offer, or don't eat at all" policy. That being said, if she refuses grilled chicken and green beans at 6pm, whenever she says that she's hungry, we'll offer her grilled chicken and green beans up until bedtime. If she doesn't eat it by bedtime, she goes to bed hungry and she gets it for breakfast. Some people (ahem, grandparents) think we're unnecessarily strict about it, but it's paid off because she's the least picky toddler I've ever known. The scenario described above hasn't happened in several months, and it was few and far between prior to that.
MEENAGGIE09
AG
Ours is 18 months. Historically we have been offering her what we ate and after she refused we would give her the usual stuff she likes.

Our Pedi advised us to try and just give her what we eat. Tonight she ate her tortilla but refused to even try the meat and beans before she could have more.

Tried to get her to try them multiple times before bed but still refused.

Is she old enough to understand the whole concept? Or do we put these fights off until she can understand more?
Slicer97
AG
You don't send them to bed hungry. Ever.

You beat their ass until whatever is on the plate appears more appealing than more ass beating.
I Play With Guns
S
I'm hope I'm half as good of a mom as you are!!!!! <3

Maybe you should start a blog or something.
chipotle
My kid eats everything. EVERYTHING.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
After our kids turn 2, they have to eat at least 2 bites before they can leave the table. It goes up one bite a year until they are old enough to dish out their own food. Then, if they put it on their plate, they had better eat it. They also must take at least a "no thank you" portion of every thing that is served. If they don't they'll see it at the next meal.
histag10
AG
quote:
Ours is 18 months. Historically we have been offering her what we ate and after she refused we would give her the usual stuff she likes.

Our Pedi advised us to try and just give her what we eat. Tonight she ate her tortilla but refused to even try the meat and beans before she could have more.

Tried to get her to try them multiple times before bed but still refused.

Is she old enough to understand the whole concept? Or do we put these fights off until she can understand more?

Our pediatrician said kids won't starve themselves. He also said if they go to bed hungry and wake up in the middle of the night, offer them the same thing then. He basically said when they are truly hungry, they will eat what is offered, but never withhold if they are hungry. So if they go to bed without dinner, be prepared to get them dinner at 2am
MEENAGGIE09
AG
quote:
After our kids turn 2, they have to eat at least 2 bites before they can leave the table. It goes up one bite a year until they are old enough to dish out their own food. Then, if they put it on their plate, they had better eat it. They also must take at least a "no thank you" portion of every thing that is served. If they don't they'll see it at the next meal.

So what did you do before they were 2?
malibu9in1
There are more options than beans and tortillas? We mesicans.
aglaohfour
AG
Girl, I'm just winging it! And most of the time I'm pretty convinced that I'm totally botching the whole parenting thing. But it helps that my husband has two older kids, so he's been there-done that with most stuff, so I just follow his lead a lot. A united front is the real key.
jopatura
AG
What are you trying to feed them and have they ever had it before?

At 18 months, I would mix with something you know they eat. Ex: Offer one bite of yogurt, then one bite of new food. End on the new food. If they don't take a bite of the new food, don't offer the yogurt again. Reward any bites of the new food, even if it's just a nibble or a spit out. They need to get acclimated to the taste.

Once they are more conversational and can understand that food ends once they say no, you can start withholding food. That's usually somewhere between 2-3.
OregonAggie
AG
My kids are 10 & 12 and I'll give them a snack if they say that but I can't remember the last time that was. Maybe a year ago? They seemed to have just grown out of it.

I don't think it's that big of a deal honestly.
george92
We didn't have any trouble with our 3 girls but our 5 year old boy hardly eats anything in the evening. I belittle him telling him that the other boys in his pre-school class are eating their food and are going to be kicking his asss and calling him a little poosy if he doesn't start eating and getting some meat on his bones. I also hold back his Big Red and Dr. Pepper until he finishes his pizza slice or chicken wings, whatever we are having that night.
Humorous Username
AG
quote:
I'm hope I'm half as good of a mom as you are!!!!! <3

Maybe you should start a blog or something.

AGLAg is a "Mommy Blogger"?!
Ol_Ag_02
AG
quote:
We didn't have any trouble with our 3 girls but our 5 year old boy hardly eats anything in the evening. I belittle him telling him that the other boys in his pre-school class are eating their food and are going to be kicking his asss and calling him a little poosy if he doesn't start eating and getting some meat on his bones. I also hold back his Big Red and Dr. Pepper until he finishes his pizza slice or chicken wings, whatever we are having that night.

This is a joke right? What kind of inbred drinks Big Red?
aglaohfour
AG
Hellllll no. I'm too busy watching my stories and eating bonbons.
george92
quote:
quote:

This is a joke right? What kind of inbred drinks Big Red?
He's too much of a poos to drink Mountain Dew. He gets that from his mother's side.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
quote:
quote:

So what did you do before they were 2?

It depends.

It's not worth fighting with a one year old about food. As soon as they were old enough for "table food", they were served what everyone else had. If they didn't eat it; no big deal. If they asked for food between meals, they would either get what was leftover from the last meal, or a piece of fruit, a carrot, something healthy.

If they were still nursing, they would get that as well. Some of our children nursed past 2 years old.
Danno93
If I remember around 2 or 3. They have to be conversational. Our pediatrician told us that at long as you make sure you feed them something you know they'll eat every 2 or 3 days, they'll be fine.
MEENAGGIE09
AG
Thanks for all the input.

Probably try it for a few more days. If unsuccessful, then will wait another 6 months and go from there.
Flashdiaz
AG
tell them if they don't eat their meat, they can't have any pudding.
hunterntexas
AG
quote:
You don't send them to bed hungry. Ever.

You beat their ass until whatever is on the plate appears more appealing than more ass beating.

I once told my son to go get his bath and get ready for bed.
He asked if he had another choice so I told him yes.

He could do as I said or I could whip him, then he could get his bath. Amazing how much better an idea the original became.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just feed them chicken nuggets and you'll never have a problem.
rockisagood
AG
Kids
Charpie
AG
quote:
There are more options than beans and tortillas? We mesicans.
My mexican child won't eat beans. Rice and "yummy tortillas" on the other hand, she can put them down like two ton tessie.

As for the actual thread, Crayola wasn't nearly as picky as a 2 year old as she has been since she was 10. If she doesn't like what I've made, she will make herself something. Our rules are simple, "you have to at least try it."

Food isn't worth fighting over, imho. She never went to bed hungry.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
My mexican child won't eat beans.
WTF kind of "Mexican" child are you raising? La estas cagando, vata.
Charpie
AG
She's a total coconut. She has two hispanic teachers this year, and I had to ask her twice what their names were. Why? Because she was pronouncing them like a gringa so bad I couldn't understand their names.
80s Guy
quote:
She's a total coconut. She has two hispanic teachers this year, and I had to ask her twice what their names were. Why? Because she was pronouncing them like a gringa so bad I couldn't understand their names.

What a failure!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
combat wombat™
AG
It's my personal opinion that withholding food is not an appropriate form of punishment. I try to offer a variety of foods so they can at least eat something.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.