Dish Network

9,217 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jayelbee
beachfront71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

As far as I am aware .. Dish is still the only provider who has dual tuner boxes ..

That is enough for me to stay..
62strat
AG
Dual tuner? My box has three tuners. Another has two, so all together I have 5 simultaneous tuners. And the 4 major networks only count as 1 tuner.
beachfront71
AG
"And the 4 major networks only count as 1 tuner."

What do you mean by above statement?
Broncos
I'm about to drop DirecTV.

What do all of you non-Dish/cable people use?

I've got Netflix and Prime. Looking for other options.
histag10
AG
HBO now? It's something we would likely get if we cut the cable.

Probably get sling tv or something similar
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
quote:

Playstation Vue
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:

As far as I am aware .. Dish is still the only provider who has dual tuner boxes ..

That is enough for me to stay..

I think the genie I Had with Direct had 5 tuners on it.

But my Hopper 3 with Dish has 16 tuners.
62strat
AG
quote:
"And the 4 major networks only count as 1 tuner."

What do you mean by above statement?
So a 'tuner' is a basically a placeholder for a channel. Watching a channel takes up a tuner, or recording a channel takes up a tuner. So with 5 tuners, you can watch/record up to 5 separate channels; however, the 4 networks all together only take up 1 tuner. So in essence, you can watch/record 4 non-network things simultaneously, and then also be recording all 4 networks, so 8 different things at once.

Along with that capability, Dish has what they call 'prime time live', where every M-F from 6-9 or whatever prime time is, it records all 4 networks, and it doesn't take up DVR space, and again it only takes one tuner slot. So you get 12-15 hours worth of recorded material every night without sacrificing all your tuner slots, and you don't fill up your dvr. (which is huge, I think ours is 2TB)

But as someone below me mentioned, hopper has been upgraded recently, and now you get way more tuners.. We have 5, and it's never been close to a problem as far as conflicts go. With only 2 however, which we had previously, we had conflicts now and again.

histag10
AG
I can record a whopping 3 shows (regardless of channel or network) at once with Dish (compared to 5 with DirecTv), and PrimeTime Live isn't available in my area. I have a Hopper with Sling. I was told this was the best/newest equipment they had.
AgEng06
AG
It is... for Montana/Wyoming/wherever the hell you are.
True Anomaly
AG
lol cable/satellite
Roxaggie06
AG
Some time ago. I believe our early termination fee was $20 per month for the remaining term commitment. I moved over to Dish- the savings was worth the move at the time.

Good Luck!
Dad
AG
I have a Hopper 3 and can record up to 16 channels at one time.

beachfront71
AG
quote:
So a 'tuner' is a basically a placeholder for a channel. Watching a channel takes up a tuner, or recording a channel takes up a tuner. So with 5 tuners, you can watch/record up to 5 separate channels; however, the 4 networks all together only take up 1 tuner. So in essence, you can watch/record 4 non-network things simultaneously, and then also be recording all 4 networks, so 8 different things at once.

Along with that capability, Dish has what they call 'prime time live', where every M-F from 6-9 or whatever prime time is, it records all 4 networks, and it doesn't take up DVR space, and again it only takes one tuner slot. So you get 12-15 hours worth of recorded material every night without sacrificing all your tuner slots, and you don't fill up your dvr. (which is huge, I think ours is 2TB)

But as someone below me mentioned, hopper has been upgraded recently, and now you get way more tuners.. We have 5, and it's never been close to a problem as far as conflicts go. With only 2 however, which we had previously, we had conflicts now and again.

We are talking different lingo then...

When I said dual tuner box, I am talking about the fact that 1 box can run 2 TV's.

So .. my TV in the bedroom is controlled by a box in the living room which to me is a huge benefit in terms of hiding crap and keeping walls clean w/ TV only.
histag10
AG
Mine doesn't do that either.

now I really feel like I'm getting screwed
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:

We are talking different lingo then...

When I said dual tuner box, I am talking about the fact that 1 box can run 2 TV's.

So .. my TV in the bedroom is controlled by a box in the living room which to me is a huge benefit in terms of hiding crap and keeping walls clean w/ TV only.
Oh yeh that's old school equipment. I had a dual tuner from like 2005 to a few years ago when I upgraded.

Now it's hopper and joeys. The joeys are small, about the size of an apple tv, and they read off the main hopper. This way, there is only one DVR bank and any tv on the system can watch or record to that dvr bank. You can also control tvs remotely (like turn them off) from anywhere, and see what any tv is watching from anywhere. The old dual tuner was similar to this allowing 2 tvs to be 'connected' with a single dvr bank, but is limited at 2. if you had a third TV, it was a completely separate DVR bank. Hopper was a major upgrade.

quote:

I can record a whopping 3 shows (regardless of channel or network) at once with Dish (compared to 5 with DirecTv), and PrimeTime Live isn't available in my area. I have a Hopper with Sling. I was told this was the best/newest equipment they had.

The hopper has 3 tuners, that's correct (well, apparently the new one has 16, as we've heard several times on here).
But they have super joeys which add 2 more. You can have multiple super joeys. I just have 1, so total of 5 tuners. I wasn't offered this either, I happen to watch some crap on the dish channel that shows you how to use the equipment and such, and they mentioned super joey.. This was like a week after I upgraded to hopper, so I called and said I want that, and it wasn't offered to me, so I'm not paying any thing. They showed up and swapped out no charge.

beachfront71
AG

I was the first house in the OC to get the hopper xx years ago .. after two 7 hour days of not being able to make it work I asked them to take it all out and put the boxes back in ..

Currently have 3 boxes running 9 TV's . (3 of them in the bathrooms and kitchen are mirrored to the Living room and bedrooms)..

I have not kept up with the hopper since then .. most of my TVs are the only thing on the wall and my concern was trying to hide a joey behind the tv..

The biggest issue w/ the hopper is I can not mirror tv's ... so thats an extra $ 85 bucks a year for 3 tv's and soon to be 4 that get minimal usage...
Broncos
quote:
quote:

Playstation Vue

Testing out the free trial. Called DirecTV and scaled back to the cheapest package for now. Those idiots are about as unhelpful as they come.
petey88

Fired DirecTV last Friday after almost 7 years. Have had problems lately with no picture, after 58 minutes on the phone with the AT&T mentals, made an appointment to send out a tech 8 days later. I was sleeping when this person arrived, didn't hear the door bell, phone or my dog raising hell as I had been out in the heat working that day.

Last Friday, same thing started up, another 50 minutes or so on the phone, I just said cancel it, I can have Dish out in the morning. Well, the AT&T mentals just kept talking through me, not listening to anything I said. Again, another 8 days to get it fixed. Finally, I said END OF STORY, TURN IT OFF NOW

Called Dish, they offered to be here the next morning. I passed for now, have just been using OTA, the net, DVD's, etc.,...don't miss DirecTV and especially the AT&T mentals that are the most horrible in just about any industry I have ever witnessed.

What is even better, discovered a sports bar maybe 4 minutes away, has all I need there for sports. Can even take the dog, sit outside, enjoy games on two sets downstairs, five on the upstairs patio.

Win, win
62strat
AG
quote:

I have not kept up with the hopper since then .. most of my TVs are the only thing on the wall and my concern was trying to hide a joey behind the tv..

The biggest issue w/ the hopper is I can not mirror tv's ... so thats an extra $ 85 bucks a year for 3 tv's and soon to be 4 that get minimal usage...
They are so small.. slap a piece of velcro on them and attach to back of TV.

If those 4 tvs are used so little, just move the joey to that tv when you need it. It's one coax cable to deal with.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
They have the wireless Joeys as well, which is what we've got. Don't even have to plug it into coax.
62strat
AG
quote:
They have the wireless Joeys as well, which is what we've got. Don't even have to plug it into coax.
How does your tv hook up to joey?
beachfront71
AG

Regarding Joeys... If you buy them on Ebay or dish for that matter are you still charged the $7 a month?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
quote:

HDMI
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

HDMI
So still just one cable to move around. Point being, it's quick and easy if it's for a tv you truly rarely use.

Beachfront, the $7 is for rental, so no I wouldn't suppose you'd have to pay the $7 if you owned it.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

HDMI
So still just one cable to move around. Point being, it's quick and easy if it's for a tv you truly rarely use.

The reason we have the wireless ones is because we have an older house and coax isn't run to most of the rooms. With the wireless, it doesn't matter where in the house we put it.

We've even moved one outside to watch games while grilling.
The Collective
AG
quote:

Regarding Joeys... If you buy them on Ebay or dish for that matter are you still charged the $7 a month?

From my understanding, there is a service charge and a rental fee for each Joey. You do not pay the rental fee if you own the equipment. I could be wrong though.
True Anomaly
AG
If after reading this entire page you're still not convinced to cut the cord, nothing will
62strat
AG
quote:
If after reading this entire page you're still not convinced to cut the cord, nothing will
It's tough to replace what I have with dish for $70-$80. 5 TV's, central dvr bank, all networks live...

Vue is coming close.. They have the DVR and multi TV capabilities, whereas Sling tv totally fails on both of those points. Vue just doesn't have live networks in Denver market yet. I'm hoping in 9 months when my dish contract is up, the networks are added. At that point, it is close enough in functionality to switch, though I won't be saving a huge amount of money. Maybe $50 a month, which may be lessened if I need to up my internet bandwidth.

I can't believe some people actually pay $150-$200 a month just for cable. They can't possibly need all those channels.
histag10
AG
quote:
quote:
It's tough to replace what I have with dish for $70-$80. 5 TV's, central dvr bank, all networks live...

Vue is coming close.. They have the DVR and multi TV capabilities, whereas Sling tv totally fails on both of those points. Vue just doesn't have live networks in Denver market yet. I'm hoping in 9 months when my dish contract is up, the networks are added. At that point, it is close enough in functionality to switch, though I won't be saving a huge amount of money. Maybe $50 a month, which may be lessened if I need to up my internet bandwidth.

I can't believe some people actually pay $150-$200 a month just for cable. They can't possibly need all those channels.

Teach me your ways Obi Wan. I have scaled back to 1 tv, and the lowest package they offer and am paying $50/month after taxes. I do not get espn, and most of my channels are not in HD. If I want to bump up a package, it comes out closer to $80 or $90 (again for 1 tv, and only 3 tuners).

I am pretty convinced on cutting the cord. That's what we are working towards
62strat
AG
Well obviously different markets have different pricing. My cable package, dish america, is $50, then $12 for dvr add on, $7 and $7 for two joeys and $10 for a super joey, which all give me 5 simultaneous tuners (4 tvs currently, will add 5th in the future). HD for all of it is free. Add $70 internet for total of $156, but I have $15 rebate for entire contract, so $140 all in.. Figure half of rebate goes to cable portion, then that $86 is just under $80.

I have every channel we need (hgtv, a&e, hist, espn, comedy cent, a few kids channels, GSN, palladia, axstv) save for SEC. But I usually just watch those games at my neighbors house.

Vue is $30, $35 or $45 depending what I want. SEC is $35 package, but I lose palladia unless I go to $45. And none (in denver) have live networks... yet. or GSN (which is owned by Sony.. wtf?)
62strat
AG
quote:

Came across this, sounds like NO

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/200824-buy-your-own-joey/

"That $7 is for the mirroring of your programming for each additional receiver, not actually a lease fee. You pay it on an owned or leased receiver. "
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.