The dangers of lightning

7,389 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by lancevance
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Moo-dy county? really?
OregonAggie
AG
quote:
quote:
Terrible day for that rancher

I read it was upwards of a $45k loss

I should've put a few F bombs in that statement. Damn that sucks.
histag10
AG
quote:
Moo-dy county? really?

The picture was put on facebook by the Moody County Sheriffs office, but it happened in McCook County
Potcake
AG
Politics goofball, aren't you?
SWCBonfire
AG
quote:
quote:
Anyone who would write a policy on a cow is an idiot, or the premium would be so high it would be half the cost of the animal per year for a commercial cow.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Good grief.

Ok,
What is the yearly premium on a 4-6 y/o Angus influenced commercial cow, and what does that relate to the current feeder cattle price of $146.48/cwt (ignoring basis)?

I don't know of any full time ranchers outside of maybe the seedstock business who insure their cows.
Goose
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Anyone who would write a policy on a cow is an idiot, or the premium would be so high it would be half the cost of the animal per year for a commercial cow.

Ok,
What is the yearly premium on a 4-6 y/o Angus influenced commercial cow, and what does that relate to the current feeder cattle price of $146.48/cwt (ignoring basis)?

I don't know of any full time ranchers outside of maybe the seedstock business who insure their cows.

It happens, but it's rare.
CaddoAggie96
AG
F these 21 cows in particular-God probably
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Which cow yelled rat farts?
funkymonkey
AG

histag10
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok,

It happens, but it's rare.

South Dakota is one of the largest beef production states. The area this happened is filled with massive cattle ranches. As their sole source of income, most of these ranches insure their livestock.

Insuring your ranch's livestock is different than Insuring a high value animal asset.

Read this link on livestock and animal mortality insurance.

https://www.thehartford.com/business-insurance/livestock-insurance
FishrCoAg
AG
quote:

LMFAO!!
SWCBonfire
AG
The link you have shown was insurancefor confined animal feeding operations. Pastured cattle were excluded. Death from cold weather of pastured cattle was not covered.

Now these animals may have been limit fed in a yard somewhere, and were eligible for insurance. But those F1 cows out on grandpappy's place in Fayetteville probably aren't worth paying the premium on.

Ask a full time cow - calf producer in Texas if they insure their cows. And Texas is by far the biggest beef cattle ranching state, period.
funkymonkey
AG
https://www.nationwide.com/livestock.jsp
histag10
AG
quote:
The link you have shown was insurancefor confined animal feeding operations. Pastured cattle were excluded. Death from cold weather of pastured cattle was not covered.

Now these animals may have been limit fed in a yard somewhere, and were eligible for insurance. But those F1 cows out on grandpappy's place in Fayetteville probably aren't worth paying the premium on.

Ask a full time cow - calf producer in Texas if they insure their cows. And Texas is by far the biggest beef cattle ranching state, period.

You obviously didn't read the overview pastured cattle insurance, which is in the link I provided. But nice try. Also, smothering caused by blizzard is included, which is typically what happens up here.

This happened in South Dakota, not Texas. I never said it was the largest, I said it was one of the largest.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:
quote:
Ohm my god

Grilliant

It's Memorial day weekend, turn that negative into a positive.
haircut
AG
quote:
Politics goofball, aren't you?
I'm mostly just goofball. Politics doesn't really interest me, but some of my Sanders supporting friends are driving me up a wall with all the Occupy Democratic FB shares.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Too bad they didn't have horns. The lightning would have just jumped from horn to horn like it did in Lonesome Dove.

Damn. Lonesome Dove was full of ****.
lancevance
So much is that in $$$?

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.