So when did large and numerous field props become a thing for HS marching bands?

21,059 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Cowboy1990
agz win
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for posting the link above. Enjoyed it.

watched some other YouTube videos including the FAMU Band and some of the Aggie band.

Found this one very entertaining...

Aggiewife&mom
S
Tree Hugger - looks like Mansfield High? I went to the show y'all had to see my niece perform - she's at Lake Dallas. $10 to come in and see 1 band do their show (then I left to go watch Aggie football).

My sons both graduated there - one did band and one did football. Has Mr. Ludlow come out officially yet?. Do all the band parents still bolt for the exits as soon as the band performance is done at football games - and do they still complain constantly about being "forced" to attend football games, but no football players ever come to their band competitions? I did not get along well with the band parents. They were not nice people back then.

Unless they've changed it, it's pretty tough to get a letter jacket in band unless you're a senior - the band boosters give you one if you've made it that far - you have to earn 100 points in a year to qualify and the points don't carryover. My band kid actually qualified as a freshman in academic competition for his letter jacket and just put his band patches on that. Of course, as soon as they graduate, letter jackets are like poison - they won't touch them.
Tree Hugger
AG
A lot of the band parents leave after the show but I haven't heard the complaints you mentioned.

Can't speak for Ludlow, I havent had a lot of direct interaction with him.
wbt5845
AG
I think Mr. Ludlow is a good director and has gotten a lot out of that program since Mr. Alexander left. At Legacy, we actively try to nurture a positive relationship between the various organizations. The captains of our football team and the drill team were at the HEB Contest (prelims) to see the band perform. Little things like that go a long ways in creating positive relationships.

BTW - my son earned his letter jacket as a freshman. Helps that he advanced to Area.
Madaman
Band was for all the loo $er morans
Aggiewife&mom
S
I LOVE Mr. Ludlow. Used to see him at the gym some, but haven't seen him there lately. Chaperoned the NY trip in 2008 and had a blast with the kids and Mr. Ludlow and some of the band parents. Didn't care much for Mr. Alexander - first "meet the band night" we went to, he made a negative comment about the Aggie Band that didn't go over well with our family.
Cowboy1990
I think the bigger question is when did band quit being a support group and start trying to become bigger than the group it was designed to support.
The Real Blue-Eyes
AG
We went to a small HS football game and the band did an all out skit. It was a WW2 theme and they had the color guard have one person get "injured" and carted to their large stage that folded in as a medical building to start. Then it progressed into moving it out as a stage where the color guard had changed clothes and were dancing on stage. It was weird.

We also went to the Allen HS/Denton Guyer football game and the announcer said that the Allen band had over 700 members. They couldn't really march because there were too many kids on the field. That's insane.
nai06
AG
I see this band almost every week

just go to the 11min mark

Cowboy1990
Some serious shucking and jiving going on here.....
quote:
I see this band almost every week

just go to the 11min mark

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.