Ten things food banks want but never ask for

7,505 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by IIIHorn
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And let the attacks begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some items are in high demand at the food bank and you may not realize it.
Because they aren't essentials, the staff doesn't publicly ask for them.
A survey on Reddit.com asked volunteers what items people would be most
appreciative of and we've listed the top 10 below. If you're looking
for an easy way to help out, pick some of these up while shopping and
drop them off at one of our area food banks.
1. Spices.Think about it. People who rely on the food bank eat a lot of canned food, rice, oatmeal, white bread, etc. They love spices. Seasoned salt,
cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice,
oregano, basil and so on.
2. Feminine Products.Can you imagine being worried about affording these? Pads, tampons, panty liners, etc. Recommended: Buy in bulk at Costco for donating.
3. Chocolate.People don't need it, but think about being in their shoes and how nice it would be to be given a chocolate bar or brownie mix along with
your essentials.
4. Toiletries.Grocery stores are great about donating surplus or unsold food, but they have no reason to donate toilet paper, tooth paste, soap,
deodorant, shampoo, etc. Food stamps often don't cover these.
5. Canned meats and jerky.This isn't true of all food banks, but some struggle to give users enough protein.
6. Crackers and tortillas.They don't spoil and everybody likes them.
7. Baby toiletries.Diapers, baby wipes, baby formula, baby shampoo, baby soap, baby food, bottles, etc.
8. Soup packets.Sometimes you look at rice, beans, instant potatoes, and cans of vegetable and think, "What do I make with this?" Hearty soup is a
complete meal.
9. Socks.From a former homeless person: "Socks mean the world to you. They keep you warm, make you feel like you have something new, and just
comfort you."
10. Canned fruit other than pineapple.Food banks get a lot of pineapple donated. Their clients love it when other kinds of fruit are available.
[SOURCE]
And remember! Food banks love cash donations because it allows them to buy whatever they need!

Read More: 10 Things Food Banks Need But Won't Ask For | http://1027kord.com/10-things-food-banks-need-but-wont-ask-for/?trackback=tsmclip
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So why don't they ask?
Tanya 93
quote:
So why don't they ask?
Because then the seem greedy?

I don't know.

It was just on my facebook.
chipotle
They'll take that 18 month old can of green beans from the back of my pantry and like it.
Duncan Idaho
This list is reasonable. Your post is disappointing
mid90
AG
As someone who has never worked directly with a food bank, to me food bank = food

I would never have thought of the baby diapers, tampons, etc. on my own.
WC87
AG
I donated 3 5# buckets of lard to the Tarrant Area Food Bank once to win a contest.
Tanya 93
quote:
I donated 3 5# buckets of lard to the Tarrant Area Food Bank once to win a contest.
What do you make with 15 pounds of Lard?
WC87
AG
fry the crap outta some old donated food I guess
we can pickle that
quote:
This list is reasonable. Your post is disappointing
Claude!
quote:
As someone who has never worked directly with a food bank, to me food bank = food

I would never have thought of the baby diapers, tampons, etc. on my own.

Yeah, I expect that's the primary goal, but they already have distribution channels in place to give to the needy. People who need help from a food bank are also likely to not have the wherewithal to afford deodorant or new socks or feminine napkins. It's a logical extension of the outreach.
UndergroundAg
Poors amirite??
anaggieshusband
I wish we didn't need food banks.
GoneGirl
AG
Food banks can also stretch dollars a long way through partnerships and can fill gaps on needed items. The Houston food bank says that for every $1 donated, they can obtain and distribute $6 in food.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
I keep cans of food underneath my mattress because I don't trust the banks.
Tanya 93
quote:
I keep cans of food underneath my mattress because I don't trust the banks.

Frugal moms keep cases of canned veggies, chili, cheese sauce, and beef stew under their beds.
Post removed:
by user
el aggie
AG
I've always heard (and practiced) that donating money directly to the food bank instead of buying things to donate goes much further. Something about increased (bulk?) buying power, probably tax-free shopping as well.
Tanya 93
quote:
I've always heard (and practiced) that donating money directly to the food bank instead of buying things to donate goes much further. Something about increased (bulk?) buying power, probably tax-free shopping as well.

That makes sense, but when I was in Texas, I would always donate the HEB combo Loco stuff I wouldn't use and toiletries when Kroger would do triple coupons.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
tortillas. They don't spoil
This has not been my experience
Gnome Sockinabout
quote:
Feminine Products.Can you imagine being worried about affording these? Pads, tampons, panty liners, etc. Recommended: Buy in bulk at Costco for donating.

Don't have a period if you can't afford one.
nuRowdy
So did Bob get bit by a walker or not? Would that make his leg meat spoiled for the cannibals?
pdc093
Gnome!
Teslag
AG
My husband has 18 cases of MRE's (about 200 or so each) taking up one of my closets. Wonder if they'd take those.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
quote:
My husband has 18 cases of MRE's (about 200 or so each) taking up one of my closets. Wonder if they'd take those.

It looks like some of these food banks have much higher tastes than I would have imagined.. They'll probably tell you to just keep the MREs in case the ISIS or Ebola shuts the nation down.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I would rather starve than eat feminine hygiene products and socks
Post removed:
by user
jetch17
AG
quote:

I thought you were a dude
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:
quote:

It's a masculine username, much like the lady who calls herself "Jorge".
Teslag
AG
quote:
quote:

I have a female username
jetch17
AG
Happy days sucks
Teslag
AG
Suzi Quatro doesn't
jetch17
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
quote:

Aren't you talking about RATO's spouse?

It's possible.
nuRowdy
Jorge is no lady.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.