Track and Field Recruiting 2017

21,807 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cazadore
aggiepe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If they don't want to come here. It is simple
Get international recruits. There are hundreds of great athletes around the world would love to come here.
We had Simone Facey from Jamaica, Deon Lendore from Trinidad and many others from Bahamas, Australia etc. Time to go international..
This should be the same for Cross Country. We are recruiting and doing horrible in Cross Country and we have a cross country course. Again time to international. Maybe a couple of African distance runners will help.
Many schools do it. Alot of Arkansas athletes are internationals.
triniaggie
AG
Shamon Ehiemua just sign with Florida State University
triniaggie
AG
Taylor Manson to Florida
triniaggie
AG
Olympian Sydney McLaughlin to Kentucky
triniaggie
AG
Tyra Gittens signs with the Aggies.
TRM
AG
Quick Update:

Megan Lindquist (New Braunfels Canyon) Distance/XC
Maddie Vondra (Ft Worth Arlington Hts) Distance/XC
Zephyr Seagraves (College Station) Distance/Steeple/XC
Ryan Yerrow (Katy) Distance/XC

I can see Rachel and Megan being the #3/4 runners on the XC team. If Kelsie Warren gets healthy, she's our 1 and Ashley Driscoll will be the our 2 (good freshman campaign).

Seagraves will be a good addition to the men's team. I can see him putting up similar times to Bishop and making the top 7 in XC and being a good steepler. ETA: Goff will also contribute on the men's side, too.
Look Out Below
AG
TRM
AG
Gabe Oladipo is really good. In my opinion, I think he has a higher upside than Piperi that's going to tu.
triniaggie
AG
Nice pick up by the Aggies

Gabriel Oladipo
Personal Records
  • Discus 1.25kg - 192-2.75
  • Discus 1.5kg - 183-8
  • Discus - 209-0
  • Shot Put - 62-0
triniaggie
AG
As expected Lauren Rain Williams just signs with USC.
USC must have the top recruiting class again. They got the top hurdle recruit and best sprinters.
Allyson Felix is surely helping in USC getting these top recruits.
Early Signing period ended today.
The Aggies didn't pick up much by way of sprinters or hurdlers. But they will have alot of opportunities to pick up some recruits that haven't done too well previously but will be focussed in their senior year. Alot on new recruits will emerge that may do much better in their senior year than those highly touted recruits that signed early.
The option is always there for Junior College transfers also.
Hope that after playing presently for the US under 20 soccer team Ally Watt start her track career for the upcoming season.
Look Out Below
AG
Real nice article on Tyra Gittens here.
Look Out Below
AG
cazadore
Quote:

Gabe Oladipo is really good. In my opinion, I think he has a higher upside than Piperi that's going to tu.
Gabe Oladipo is good, but seemed to struggle at the USATF meet in Sacramento this year. I hope he can transition under Coach De La Garza when he moves to the 2k discus and 16 lb. shot. He is a great young man and I wish him much success.

However, I think A. Piperi has the higher upside. He has been "lights out" since throwing as a freshman in the State meet and still holds the discus record (set last year) at the Texas Relays. He did well at the USATF meet in Sacramento, the New Balance outdoor meet in North Carolina, and will probably win the shot put and discus events at the State meet in 2017. I wish he had committed to us instead of tu.
TRM
AG
Remember Gabe was playing football, basketball, and even baseball for a bit, so once he focuses on track only, I think he'll be better. That being said, I would take Piperi if he wanted to come. I wonder what he would do if Sategna is fired.
cazadore
Quote:

Remember Gabe was playing football, basketball, and even baseball for a bit, so once he focuses on track only, I think he'll be better. That being said, I would take Piperi if he wanted to come. I wonder what he would do if Sategna is fired.
Agreed. I once talked to Mr. Oladipo about Gabe's sports schedule and his response was, "I like to make sure he is busy." Very funny!

The Houston area has produced some very good throwing talent that will continue to impress at the college level. In addition to Oladipo and Piperi, I expect to see C. Campbell, B. Kuithe, J. Barber, and O. Ogbonnia compete at the college level.
Look Out Below
AG
Looks like we got 13 signed this fall: Official Press Release. Big infusion of distance kids. We did in fact nab Virginia Kerley as well.
triniaggie
AG
Official release of the 13 early track signees.
Virginia Kerley did sign with the Aggies.
No sprinters and hurdlers on the men side yet.

Texas A&M November 2016 Early Signing Period

Men
Theo Goff (Conroe Oak Ridge HS, Texas) 4:21.07, 9:16.31
Finished 13th in the 2016 State 6A cross country meet leading school to seventh-place team finish Placed fourth in the Region II-6A race as school finished third Won the Texas A&M Invitational On the track set career best times of 4:21.07 and 9:16.31 during junior season.

Gabriel Oladipo (Fort Bend Hightower HS, Texas) 62-0, 209-0
Established career best of 209-0 in discus to win Coaches Coalition National Championships held in Austin during July, also claimed shot put title with a mark of 61-11 Won discus title at AAU Junior Olympics held in Humble, Texas this past summer while placing second in shot put Threw 195-1 as State 6A discus runner-up in 2016, also runner-up in TTFCA Meet of Champions with toss of 189-3 In 2015 placed ninth in discus at the IAAF World Youth Championships in Cali, Colombia Has a career best of 62-0 in the shot put, set in winning the 2016 District 23-6A title State 6A shot put runner-up in 2015 and finished third in 2016.

Zephyr Seagraves (College Station HS, Texas) 9:34.96
Finished fifth in the 2016 State 5A cross country meet and was the top finisher associated with a team As a junior placed eighth in the State 5A meet in leading school to fourth-place team finish Won Region III-5A cross country title in 2015 and 2016 On the track, placed third in 1,600m at region meet, and set best of 9:34.96 in 3,200m Ran 2,000m Steeplechase twice in 2016, placing third at Texas Relays and second in the TTFCA Meet of Champions.

Ryan Yerrow (Katy HS, Texas) 9:23.44
Competed in State 6A cross country meet the past two years Led school to an eighth-place team finish in 2016 and was second runner on 2015 squad that placed fifth in State Claimed District 19-6A and Region III-6A cross country titles in 2016 On the track set career best time of 9:23.44 in 2016.

Women
Rachel Barnardo (A&M Consolidated HS, College Station, Texas) 2:16.37, 5:03.48, 11:15.57
Qualified for State 5A cross country meet as an individual in 2014 and 2016 As a senior in cross country she won District 18-5A title, placed 11th in Region III-5A meet On the track, set career best times of 2:16.37, 5:03.48 and 11:15.57 in 2016 Swept District 18-5A titles in 800m and 1,600m as a junior, placed third in region 1,600m and fourth in 800m In 2015, finished second in 1,600m and 3,200m at district, then placed sixth in both races at region.

Tyra Gittens (The Ensworth School, Nashville, Tennessee) 6-0 , 20-0 , 5337
Has claimed 12 State titles in Tennessee during first three years of high school (200m [2], 100m hurdles [2], high jump [3], long jump [2], pentathlon [3]) Scored 50 points in State meet twice by winning five events as a sophomore and junior, becoming the first to accomplish the feat in consecutive years Earned All-America honors from Track & Field News in high jump and heptathlon in 2016 Cleared a career best of 6-0 in high jump during heptathlon when she scored 5,337 points to win 2016 AAU Junior Olympics title in Humble, Texas Previous best score of 5,164 in heptathlon placed second in the New Balance Nationals earlier in the summer Scored 3,770 points in winning third consecutive Tennessee State title in 2016.

Virginia Kerley (Taylor HS, Texas) 11.54, 23.54, 19-7 , 38-10
Will join two brothers, Fred and Mylik, who already attend Texas A&M and compete in track and field for the Aggies Bronze medalist in the 100m at the 2016 State 4A meet after placing second in 2015 and fifth as a freshman Also claimed silver in the 200m at 2015 State meet and then won the TTFCA Meet of Champions Placed fourth in the long jump at the 2016 4A State meet, producing a career best of 19-7 Also placed fourth in State long jump as a freshman, and finished third as a sophomore In triple jump set career best of 38-10 to win 2016 Region IV-4A title, then placed third in State meet.

Megan Lindquist (New Braunfels Canyon HS, Texas) 5:03.62
Set career best of 5:03.62 in 1,600m in 2015, placing fourth in the Region IV-6A meet Ran in State 6A cross country meet in 2014 and 2015.

Julia Madubuike (McKinney North HS, Texas) 11.66, 24.14
Silver medalist in the 100m at the 2016 State 5A meet Also placed second in 100m at the TTFCA Meet of Champions Won 2015 TAAF Games of Texas 100m title Set career best 100m time of 11.66 in 2016 and 24.14 in 200m during 2015 Anchored 4x100 relay which won 2016 State 5A title and ran second leg when team won TTFCA Meet of Champions Also anchored 4x200 relay to runner-up finish at State and ran lead-off leg when team claimed title at TTFCA Meet of Champions.

Michelle Myers (Houston HS, Germantown, Tennessee) 11:12.24
Competed in Tennessee State 3A cross country meet in 2015 and 2016 Second finisher on team that placed third in 2016 State meet As a junior finished third in State cross country race and led school to team championship Won Region 8-3A race twice, in 2015 and 2016, to lead her school to pair of team titles Set career best of 11:12.24 in 3,200m during 2016 Won 3,200m title in Tennessee sectional.

Kylie Purifoy (Crandall HS, Texas) 5:09.38
State 4A runner-up in cross country this fall, competing as an individual Won district and region titles on the way to qualifying for State Also ran in State cross country meet as a junior, placing 17th Set career best of 5:09.38 in 1,600m to place second in State 4A meet also finished seventh in 3,200m at State Swept 1,600m and 3,200m titles in district and region meets as a junior.

Kennedy Smith (The Woodlands HS, Texas) 14.01, 44.09
Set career best of 14.01 in 100m hurdles twice in 2016, winning District 16-6A and Area titles Finished third in the Region II-6A final Posted career best of 44.09 in 300m hurdles in 2016 to place second in district Also finished fourth in Area and eighth in Region finals Ran first leg of 4x100 relay that claimed district title, placed fourth in Area and seventh at Region In sophomore season, anchored 4x100 relay to district win.

Maddie Vondra (Arlington Heights HS, Ft. Worth, Texas) 11:07.76, 17:26.70
Competed as an individual in State 5A cross country meet three consecutive years Placed eighth in State meet as a junior in 2015 to record her best finish Claimed three straight district titles in cross country On the track finished second in 5,000m elite race with a time of 17:26.70 during Texas Distance Festival held at Southlake Carroll Set career best mark of 11:07.76 in 3,200m during 2016 season.
triniaggie
AG
Robert Grant sister Annie Grant committed to run with Aggies next year. She is a hurdler as well.

Very interesting tweet from Robert Grant on why people don't want to come A&M. Bad rumours are being spread about A&M. He refuted them. What a great Aggie Robert. Proud of you. Don't worry we will monitor their progress and see where they end up. They probably regretting already. Robert is a typical example of the progress made while at A&M in 1 year here. Continue to be an Aggie ambassador Robert

[url=https://twitter.com/BobGrant21][/url]
Robert Grant @BobGrant21

Recruits all the bad stuff you hear about A&M...rumors created by other schools so you won't come here. They're all false. Don't play Urself7:24 PM Nov 16, 2016 from College Station, TX

triniaggie
triniaggie
AG
Just wondering what were the rumours spreading about A&M track. It seems to be serious because it affected the recruitment.
Several people took to Twitter about their disgust about the rumours.
Even Shamier Little posted about the rumours being the death of A&M. She is telling recruits if they have a question just ask.
Other have commented on the issue but no details of the rumours.
Sad but many of them already signed with other schools.
Just want the Aggies to answer back the critics with their spikes next year.
The progress made by so many athletes in one year alone has been tremendous like Donavan Brazier, Robert Grant, Maggie Malone, Jasmine Fray and so many more. The pole vaulters and javelin throwers also. I could go on and on

Shamier tweeted
Where are Texas A&M recruits? these rumors will literally be the death of us. If y'all got a question, ask.

Look Out Below
AG
I actually think we have gotten off to a decent start in recruiting. We nabbed arguably the top male discus thrower in the country as well as the top overall female athlete. We filled some needs on our veteran distance teams, kept the local talent in town, and filled in some usable sprint pieces on the women's side.

While I'm sure we would've liked to have done better, there are two things to remember: 1) there are plenty of big fish still out there that haven't signed (and even more that will reveal themselves in the spring) and 2) only the coaches know how much we are able to offer in scholarships in any given year. You also have to consider that there may very well be some teams that have done well recruiting this month that may have spent all their scholarship money already. Our coaching staff has proven time and again that they know what it takes to get the job done, both off the track and on. I've got full confidence in their ability to get the job done.
triniaggie
AG
I totally agree with you LOB. Was just wondering what were the rumours since many people were expressing their concern on Twitter.
There are also many athletes who have been competing in many sports and may concentrate their senior year only on track. These athletes could be great picks in the next signing period in April.
TRM
AG
I don't think it doesn't do us much good to discuss a specific rumor. Just disappointing there wasn't enough communication to get it ironed out.

There's talent out there, we just have to find it. Right now, I'm worried about our sprint depth for relays.
triniaggie
AG
This is for the 2017 season ie those athletes already enrolled

T&FN's Top Recruiting Classes Announced
The just-published January edition of TF&N features our comprehensive roundup of collegiate recruiting for the 2017 season.
Here's our top 10s (the magazine proper contains more details on the leading classes, as well as an overview of where all the top HS stars ended up):

MEN
1. UCLA
2. Oregon
3. Tennessee
4. LSU
5. Iowa State
6. USC
7. Florida
8. Texas
9. Stanford
10. Texas A&M

WOMEN
1. Stanford
2. Oregon
3. LSU
4. Wisconsin
5. USC
6. Texas
7. Florida
8. Georgia
9. Baylor
10. Colorado
TRM
AG
Quote:

Texas A&M signee Gabe Oladipo, a senior at Ft. Bend Hightower in Missouri City, Texas, equaled the all-time state record in the discus with a throw of 215 feet, 2 inches to win the event at the Jesuit-Sheaner Relays held in Dallas this past weekend.

The performance by Oladipo is equal to the 10th best mark on the all-time national high school list and ties him with Brian Robison of Splendora, Texas, who set the Texas state record in 2002. Robison competed in football as well as track and field at the University of Texas and is currently playing in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings as a defensive end.

This outdoor season has seen a series of career best throws by Oladipo during his undefeated campaign. He started with a 201-9 in February, then had a 206-10 in early March. Two weeks ago Oladipo improved to 211-7.
http://www.12thman.com/news/2017/3/28/track-and-field-aggie-sprinters-fred-kerley-danyel-white-named-sec-runner-of-the-week.aspx
cazadore
Good Bull, texaggierm. You called it earlier as focusing on just track and field seems to have really benefitted Gabe Oladipo. I've seen him throw three times this season and he seems to PR every week. The TSU Relays were the best series of throws I have ever seen from him. Texas Relays are just around the corner and I expect him to set a new discus record in the State of Texas. I wish him much success, he is an excellent recruit for us, and congrats to Coach Garza and Coach Henry.
aggiepe
Today starts the reg. period for college signings until August 1st. Let see who will sign
Lauren Rain Williams, nation's No. 1 200-meter runner, granted release from USC, commits to Oregon Ducks
aggiepe
Some of the top high school athletes who are yet to sign are

Sammy Watson:
-College Choices: Texas A&M, Stanford, USC, Clemson & Arkansas
-Personal Bests: 300m: 39.24, 400m: 52.69, 600m: 1:27.13, 800m: 2:01.78, 1000m: 2:40.72 & Mile: 4:47.72

Cameron Cooper:
-College Choices: Oregon, LSU, Florida
-Personal Bests: 400m: 50.77, 800m: 1:49.46, 1600m: 4:15.58

Jasmine Reed
-College Choices: Kentucky, Oregon
-Personal Bests: 55m: 6.89, 60m: 7.39, 100m: 11.57, 200m: 23.39, 300m: 40.26

Shae Anderson:
-College Choices: Kentucky, Oregon, USC, SDSU
-Personal Bests: 60mH: 8.84, 60m: 7.62, 100mH: 14.25, 100m: 11.76, 200m: 23.73, 300mh: 40.41, 300m: 38.12, 400m: 53.10
Look Out Below
AG
triniaggie
AG
Another distance signee

Ryan Trahan
Eagle Lake, Texas
Personal Records
  • 800m - 2:02.85
  • 1500m - 4:16.87
  • 1600m - 4:20.88
  • 1 Mile (in) - 4:26.56
  • 3000m - 9:42.33
  • 2 Mile (in) - 9:45.92
  • 3 Mile (xc) - 15:25.00
  • 5K (xc) - 15:34.39
triniaggie
AG
Earlier this year Sammy Watson had narrowed her college to A&M and USC. Not sure if she decided to look at other schools. Would be a great signee if we could get her.

http://www.flotrack.org/video/1048615-sammy-watson-reveals-her-top-two-college-choices#.WPFvK0UrLhk

TRM
AG
There are few other names out there I've heard like Morgan Michals and Maddie Willett. I'd have to go looking for the rest.
mred
Thanks in advance for y'all posting this track information.This seems to be my only source.Any recommendations
Look Out Below
AG
triniaggie
AG
Add Harrison Tillman from Aledo Tx

Personal Records
  • 800m - 2:01.27
  • 1600m - 4:21.69
  • 3200m - 9:21.44
  • 3 Mile (xc) - 15:46.34
  • 5K (xc) - 15:40.91
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.