Tour de France...

2,819 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by gumby579
Kampfers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Porte and TJ were co-leaders. I don't know that TJ recieved any help he didn't. In fact the only time I can remember either of them having a teammate do significant work for them was prior to Porte's attack on the 3rd day in the Alps. BMC is talked of as being a very strong team, and they always do well in the team time trial, but in the critical moments of the tour it almost always seems that they have fewer teammates in the peloton while Sky/Astana/Movistar will still have a few men to work for their leaders

But yeah, TJ was incredibly underwhelming this tour. If he can't figure out how to deal with rest days or cold and rainy weather he'll have a hard time being competitive in the future. What's concerning is that it isn't a new issue. I also think he's overall a lesser rider than the top GC contenders, the announcers always describe him like a diesel - takes a while to get going but can chug along forever - but the problem is this means he can never successfully attack and break away and in turn will get distanced by his competitors attacks.

I agree that the sprinters were great this tour, we had more photo finishes this tour than I can remember having in the past number of years combined.
Oogway
I agree with your description of TJ, I would love for him to do better, it may need to come in support of another rider while TJ goes for stage victories or something. Not too many folks are content to share leadership, but if they can make it work for them then that is wonderful.

Guess a lot will shake out over the next few weeks as the teams sort themselves out. I thought I heard the announcers say that Tinkoff wouldn't be a team next year but that may have been another team.

Looking forward to watching the Olympics and then Dusseldorf next July.
gumby579
AG
The TJ/Porte co-captain for BMC didn't work out well at all. If Porte hadn't gotten a puncture on that early stage he would have been close to a podium. If grand tours were 2 weeks instead of 3 TJ would be in better shape.

Quintana not attacking appears to be from being sick. Now, I don't know how much "allergies" can affect a rider but that is what Movi was going with apparently. It was disheartening for me because I was pulling for him to challenge Froomey this year but it just didn't happen. Valverde looked to be in form and he even attacked a few times.

Can we all just take a minute and appreciate Sagan?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.