Aggie Tennis

20,197 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aston04
carl spacklers hat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is O'Shea being an assistant a detriment to recruiting? If so, why was he put in that position if that was an outcome? Curious what others have to say about Kevin.
Harry Dunne
quote:
McKinley's replacement will be key going forward. Need someone young, preferably with recent experience on the tour who can recruit internationally.

This.

and losing a legend like McKinley hurts no matter who is replacing him.
bigboyaggie
The OShea hire has be a joke. If it was April, I would call this an April Fool's joke. McKinley was as good as any head or assistant coach out there. What does OShea bring? Nothing! No playing resume. No real coaching resume. I'm sorry, but the volunteer coaching argument will be made and that is laughable. No recruiting resume. Would be a mediocre hire for a mid range level program. Not a program that is barely making the results as it is. Results with McKinley are barely good enough. Denton hasn't done much more than an adequate job in his overall tenure with McKinley by his side.
SA68AG
AG
And so begins the slide to mediocrity...or worse.

Aston04
AG
Are indoor courts ever going to happen? I saw years ago a proposal for them, but haven't heard anything about it recently. A indoor facility open to the public (with a membership) would also be a great asset for the community.
carl spacklers hat
Denton mentioned the indoor courts on Friday at the tennis camp closing ceremonies. Said they need to raise $3 mil to get the project completed.

Also talked with O'Shea for a while. He has been a tremendous help to my rising-senior tennis player who is figuring out the whole college recruiting thing. While not a D-1 talent, my kid will play tennis in college, and O'Shea has really helped in laying out the process and expectations. He is never too busy to take a call. Say what you want about him but O'Shea is good people.
bigfoot10s
AG
Kevin has never been anything but nice to me.
bigfoot10s
AG
quote:
Denton mentioned the indoor courts on Friday at the tennis camp closing ceremonies. Said they need to raise $3 mil to get the project completed.

Also talked with O'Shea for a while. He has been a tremendous help to my rising-senior tennis player who is figuring out the whole college recruiting thing. While not a D-1 talent, my kid will play tennis in college, and O'Shea has really helped in laying out the process and expectations. He is never too busy to take a call. Say what you want about him but O'Shea is good people.

What division is your son looking to play? Is he a super or champ now? I wonder if I've seen him play in any HS tournaments in the past few years
SlickRick
There are plenty of nice people in the world, but that does very little in helping the program to have more success. Denton has done average to above average at best with a hall of famer in McKinley to now a nice person with nothing to bring to the table. How about bringing in a less nice person with a bit more qualifications. There have to be 100 candidates that would die to come work at Texas A&M that would blow nice guy Kevin OShea's resume out of the water.
bigfoot10s
AG
quote:
There are plenty of nice people in the world, but that does very little in helping the program to have more success. Denton has done average to above average at best with a hall of famer in McKinley to now a nice person with nothing to bring to the table. How about bringing in a less nice person with a bit more qualifications. There have to be 100 candidates that would die to come work at Texas A&M that would blow nice guy Kevin OShea's resume out of the water.

No one in the last few posts said anything about Kevin as an asst.
SlickRick
Well the topic is Aggie Tennis not nice people little foot.
carl spacklers hat
Super. Probably D-2 but keeping all options open. We are looking for great academics with solid tennis programs. Trinity was high on the list but they took 5 freshmen in this year's class so probably won't be taking any next fall. St. Mary's and St. Eds are on the radar but we are also looking out of state.

The topic was brought up, in reply to Rick, to point out how a relationship was developed over the past couple of years between a player and coach. I don't know if he does that with blue chips or not but I'd venture to guess that he treats all of his players the same way. Maybe it will pay off and maybe it won't with the talent you (Rick) would approve of but I'd give it some time before hanging the man.

Now, to the topic that is even more important, who of y'all are going to cough up the cash to get the indoor facility built?!??
bigfoot10s
AG
Looks like Trinity has three seniors, and I'd bet all 5 freshmen don't pan out. Don't give up on them taking some more, they'll still sign a class.

Has he looked at JUCO at all? I know the Seward coach really well (he was actually a counselor at the Aggie tennis camp your son went to) and he is a great coach who runs a really good program.
Aston04
AG
Back in the day, my Hs teammate a spot lower (and a champ) played at Trinity following high school. I played supers champ's and was merely an intramural player at a&m. /Humble brag

Although I enjoyed a&m, in hindsight I wish I went somewhere smaller and played college tennis. Good luck to your son!
carl spacklers hat
Daughter...and she has her first official visit in two and a half weeks. it's getting real! And she's really excited about what's happening. Can't wait to see what this does for her tennis humble/brag
Aston04
AG
That's great!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.