*** 2024 Aggie Softball Season Thread ***

344,466 Views | 3883 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by frankie00
hipnix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Boozer92
AG
Honestly. It is too many. I don't expect to have 8 by the end of fall practice. Competition is good.

I could be wrong maybe all 8 will still be on the roster when next season starts but I doubt it
fitzwatema
AG
BoydAg said:

Grace Sparks - RHP - Transfer from Ole Miss - 78.1 IP w/ a 2.14 ERA - Threw 8.1 innings against us this year and only gave up 2 ER.

Announced she's coming home! Originally from Crosby HS.

Welcome Home Grace!

Gig'em and welcome to Aggieland, Grace!!!
Cole9335
AG
Boozer92 said:

Honestly. It is too many. I don't expect to have 8 by the end of fall practice. Competition is good.

I could be wrong maybe all 8 will still be on the roster when next season starts but I doubt it

Either Leavitt is going to transfer or I foresee a redshirt year for incoming freshman pitchers
frankie00
To paraphrase - eight pitchers are too many, perhaps some gone at the end of Fall. I certainly agree this might happen because it IS a huge number AND it reminded me that there IS a short transfer portal period in December of each year.

With so many pitchers some of them might think, with so many on the staff, they will not get many innings in the Spring so decide to transfer in December. No one knows. But lack of playing time (or perceived lack of playing time in the future) is still a huge reason why players transfer. Of course, it all depends on Fall practice, how Coach Ford plans on using them, how well this is communicated to the pitchers, how well they actually buy in to her plan, etc.

A LOT of thoughts on all this.

Some might think that it's best to sign a lot of pitchers and pick the best 4-5 in practice, knowing the rest will sit on the bench or transfer. Darwinism. Survival of the Fittest.

They are all outstanding competitors, all did really well in high school (and transfers in college) and ALL want a lot of playing time. All want to prove themselves in the SEC. NONE want to be at the bottom of the list.

When I saw that Coach Ford signed four pitchers last time I thought about losing them at the same time four years later. IF they are still around. A huge IF these days with transfers being so easy and common. And what happens if one or more cannot transition well to the college game? This has happened to us quite a few times the last several years. Taking this into consideration perhaps an ideal might be an average of six on the staff at any one time, bringing in an average of 1.5/yr so the team does not lose a bunch of experienced arms at the end of each season. For example, have on the staff 1 FR, 2 SO, 1 JR and 2 SR. Numbers change by one each year. Replace one or two each year as needed. If two do not work out at the college level but four do you still have a great staff. And you do not lose a ton of players each year.

But I also think of redshirting players. I have no idea if coaching staffs think this way any longer. Recruit a player or two while explaining they are really wanted but they might be asked to redshirt a year. I am not suggesting this happens or happened but I wonder if they have this in mind for a couple of the incoming freshman pitchers? If two redshirt we would have the remaining two freshmen, a sophomore (Peters), a junior (Sparks) and two seniors (Lefty and Leavitt) next Spring (barring any transfers!). At the end of next year would lose Lefty and Leavitt but pick up the two redshirted freshmen. Of course, this is all just conjecture AND players transfer all the time now so forecasting future rosters is impossible! But I still like to think about what ifs. Doing it now and will do it until next Spring!

[Reminds me of Reagan. Zero playing time this year. I think the only one on the team with no playing time. Redshirt?]

Too many possibilities. Too many things can happen. Impossible to predict. But still interesting to do so!
Belton Ag
AG
I don't know for sure because I didn't pry, but I think Reagan Jones was injured for a big part of the year. There were times when she would only walk during the pre game stuff while the other players were running.
Boozer92
AG
Reagan Jones looked like the best of the class in the fall. Apparent injury cost her the front half or more of the season. I hope we see her healthy and competing for a spot this yeat
jt2hunt
AG
What's the endgame for a softball player in college? Can they make money playing professionally or will they make more in college through NIL
Boozer92
AG
Money in pro ball is very small except for the most elite olympic level players. They play because they love the game and most become successful in the business world after college.

Maybe one day there will be a real pro league. Currently there are 3 and non doing very well. Getting your name on a glove, a bat or a clothing line is where the money flows. Individual lessons also can provide a nice cash flow.
Belton Ag
AG
Athletes Unlimited is starting a city-based 8 team pro league next year. This one probably has the best chance of succeeding based on the people involved. I'd still be surprised if they pull the kind of money some of them get from NIL deals.
Gigemchicken90
AG
Belton Ag said:

Athletes Unlimited is starting a city-based 8 team pro league next year. This one probably has the best chance of succeeding based on the people involved. I'd still be surprised if they pull the kind of money some of them get from NIL deals.
I've been getting my softball fix watching them this week. There have been some good games.
'90
Boozer92
AG
Belton Ag said:

Until all 3 leagues consoldate it will be hard for any to survive. If the 3 teams in WPF and the 4 in the AFP can fold into AUX maybe they can have a chance. Right now they more summer beer leagues than real full time pro teams
PlanoGuy
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/6/12/media-center-softball-rules-committee-proposes-modification-to-video-replay-challenges.aspx

This is needed
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
Deerdude
Now relax the obstruction of base rule.
PlanoGuy
sharpdressedman
What about the addition of a safety base at first? Already approved?
Deerdude
Yea that one surprised me. Daughter played travel ball 20 years ago and we saw them.
LB12Diamond
AG
sharpdressedman said:

What about the addition of a safety base at first? Already approved?

Need that one for that sip 1st baseman and her bad footwork.
Ag1188
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Wow

Looks like Ford is going to have a ton of pitching options next season!
To me, we had 1 experienced great pitcher. Now we have 3. Would be nice to have 1 more, but I guess that could be greedy and difficult to get another to transfer here.
Belton Ag
AG
I know I'm in the minority but I wish replay and reviews would go away in every sport.
MSTC Man
AG
Pitchers from the portal don't necessarily mean great. We have gotten pitchers from Minnesota and from Ole Miss through the portal. I don't think either turned out to be great.
tcow715
AG
Belton Ag said:

I know I'm in the minority but I wish replay and reviews would go away in every sport.
If you have the ability to get the call right why would you not do it? Genuinely curious your thoughts.
BiochemAg97
AG
Belton Ag said:

Do you remember the time before?

I think it needs some modification. For starters, "incontrovertible video evidence" should be seeable in 30-60 seconds, none of those 3-5 minutes to slow scrub every video angle for a clip that might go the other way.
FILO505
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Belton Ag said:

Do you remember the time before?

I think it needs some modification. For starters, "incontrovertible video evidence" should be seeable in 30-60 seconds, none of those 3-5 minutes to slow scrub every video angle for a clip that might go the other way.

Yeah, I'm with you on what is kind of the middle ground. I like getting the calls right, I like that they have limits to how many challenges they have, but these reviews have GOT to be faster. There has to be a time limit. This isn't nuclear physics. It's ball
Boozer92
AG
Belton Ag said:

I completely agree. Yes they do overturn a few obviously bad calls. Most of the time it is just a waste of time
t - cam
AG
MSTC Man said:

Pitchers from the portal don't necessarily mean great. We have gotten pitchers from Minnesota and from Ole Miss through the portal. I don't think either turned out to be great.

There are stats to determine their value, one in the sec already so it's not like this is some kind of sign and hope deal.
Deerdude
Only problem I see with reviews as it stands was the inequity I saw in Austin during Supers. We got 2 reviews. sip got their two and then umpires, when a call went against sip. Umpire suddenly needed to review on his own. Happened in two of the games and all went against us.
PlanoGuy

"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
Astroag
AG
Holy moly…she would be an insane addition.
mvegas
It would be shocking if Canady ends up anywhere other than OU
Farmer1906
AG
mvegas said:

It would be shocking if Canady ends up anywhere other than OU

Yup
Positivelyag512
Unless we all pay and give her and her family more money, it's possible. Trust me, it's a bidding war between us, Tu. Blowu, Tennessee, Mizzu, FL, and Bama
Positivelyag512
PlanoGuy said:

Brandon Montgomery says HELLO AGS, don't zzzz
frankie00
Tyler posted a press release today on the three incoming pitchers talked about in the forum several days ago:

"Three Aggies Earn Gatorade Softball Player of the Year Honors"

https://12thman.com/news/2024/6/17/three-aggies-earn-gatorade-softball-player-of-the-year-honors

First Page Refresh
Page 111 of 111

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.