165 commission today. Most in 40 years

1,607 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Tanker123
FTACo88-FDT24dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rabid Cougar
AG
We did it right back in Ol' Army
F4GIB71
Proud of them!!! Isn't this what it is all supposed to be about?
Dark_Knight
AG
I wish we were putting out that many every year.

From what I remember there are so many slots/contracts given each year and distributed amongst the academies, SMC, and ROTC programs.

I wonder how that's decided and if politics plays a part in it?
LMCane
I was doing research for my book out at Washington and Lee College and drove around VMI but it was too much of a pain to find their library. It's a super cool architecture like castles.

"VMI boasts the largest ROTC program in the country where each year approximately 800 cadets enroll in Army ROTC and the Blue Ridge Battalion commissions more officers than any ROTC program in the nation."
ABATTBQ87
AG
I was doing some research on Aggie Generals by using this site:

https://www.txamfoundation.com/News/Rising-Through-the-Ranks.aspx

The decade of the 80s produced 24 Generals, 2 of which are 4 Star Generals: Gen. Stephen W. Wilson '81 and Gen. Eric M. Smith '87

The decade of the '90s produced 9 Generals, and there are no Generals in the 21st century, per the website
Rabid Cougar
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

The decade of the 80s produced 24 Generals, 2 of which are 4 Star Generals: Gen. Stephen W. Wilson '81 and Gen. Eric M. Smith '87

The decade of the '90s produced 9 Generals, and there are no Generals in the 21st century, per the website
AND my ol' lady .. Admiral Chip Rock S-2 '86
The Kraken
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Old info. This one is current.

https://corps.tamu.edu/aggie-flag-officers/
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
AgLA06
AG
282ish Generals or Admirals in the Corps' history by my quick scan. Obviously nothing on the Academies, but that more than would have expected.
Jock 07
AG
LMCane said:

I was doing research for my book out at Washington and Lee College and drove around VMI but it was too much of a pain to find their library. It's a super cool architecture like castles.

"VMI boasts the largest ROTC program in the country where each year approximately 800 cadets enroll in Army ROTC and the Blue Ridge Battalion commissions more officers than any ROTC program in the nation."

When did this happen? I thought we still commissioned the most folks outside of the academies.
CanyonAg77
AG
Is that just Army ROTC? Ours is diluted, as we have all three major branches. IIRC, Embry-Riddle university has the largest Air Force ROTC
Jock 07
AG
Good question, as an SMC I'd assume VMI would have all three ROTC programs. I know they at least have AF. I'll have to ask my VMI buddy today. Also that's quite interesting about emery riddle if true. I know we were the largest det 15+ years ago
ABATTBQ87
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Shame he wasn't a BQ
Rabid Cougar
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Shame he wasn't a BQ
and I had a hamburger for lunch.
HollywoodBQ
AG
LMCane said:

These numbers are not correct.

My daughter went to VMI so I've been following VMI for the past 8 years or so.

They usually matriculate a little over 500 new Rats every year and graduate about 380 four years later.

Also, it's not possible to frog in at VMI but, people who have college credits from elsewhere can graduate early. That's pretty common.

Obviously not all cadets are Army ROTC but, VMI is the host institution for a couple of other college ROTC programs. In particular, some girls school called V Will that my daughter complained about constantly.

She just told me the other night that due to Title IX, V Will had to start admitting men. So now it is possible to participate in Army ROTC at VMI as a male and not actually be in the VMI Corps of Cadets by enrolling as a male cadet at V Will.
Tanker123
I hope they will genuinely take care of the troops and the families. That would be a good step in the direction of becoming good leaders.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.