Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Downstairs Renovation - Is It Even Worth The Time To Run Coax

877 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by dudeabides
Marvin_Zindler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for thoughts here:

We are in permitting with COH on a large renovation to 2/3 of our down-stairs (Kitchen/Living/Dinning/Mud/etc. will be demoed in some form). In the course of this work, I will have the chance to run new low-voltage to both floors (have done it once at the old house, know how to do it, and plan to self-perform). As of now, this includes a total of 22 general internet drops (TVs, Apple TVs, computers, printers), 8 drops for TPLink access points and Ring cameras, 8 drops of whole-home audio (stereo pairs), and 8 drops for old-school RG6 cable (TVs in master, living, study, game room, laundry, garage, and patio).

Here is my queustion.......is it worth the time to even run old-school RG6 cable at this point?

We have AT&T fiber to our house and I plan to run demark lines in smurf tube for fiber, Cat-6 and RG6 from the garage demark to our under-stairs closet that will serve as out central network location for all low-voltage. All equipment is going to housed in a 16U rack on casters for service.

Happy to hear y'alls thoughts.
Picard
AG
Change those 8 coax drops to empty conduit with pull string. Future proof.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
That's what I was considering. Each of the main TV LV drops in a 1-gang and I was thinking about changing them to a 2-gang with smurf back to the main hall closet. And eliminating RG6 in the study and mud all together.

That would give a run of 4 1/2-smurfs back to the hall closet for RG6 (or whatever) in the future.
Roger That
AG
Also put in a drain for your ice machine
BQ2001
AG
If you are a cord cutter, those coax lines can be great to feed a whole home antenna out to where you plan of having TVs (8 is probably overkill though). We separated out our cable modem to the AV closet and now feed antenna to all the existing locations and it's nice to have for local stations without getting blackouts for contract disputes if you have a provider.
agdoc2001
AG
I use my coax runs for subwoofers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dudeabides
AG
I would run the coax while you have the walls open. There will never be an easier opportunity. Running them later via conduits is doable, but it will suck (...been there, done that). If aren't sure you will use a coax drop, just leave it buried in the wall and take note of where it is for future reference. You can always dig it out later and use it.

The new OTA broadcast standard (ATSC 3.0) hasn't impressed me much yet, but there is a possibility that it might take off in the future. So, I would consider it an additional reason, in addition to those reasons mentioned in the posts above, to run the coax now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.