One Course to Play in Scottsdale

5,451 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by pb488
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a family trip scheduled for Scottsdale in late May/early June. We are there for 5 or 6 days and I only plan golfing once or maybe twice.

Our place is very close to Troon North.

I'm thinking Troon North and We-Ko-Pa Seguaro. Would love to play the Stadium Course, but I'm guessing that's pretty overpriced for what it is?

Also, weather... Should be hot obviously. I played in Tucson last year around that same time, and while it was hot, it's a dry heat so it really wasn't that bad. Is Scottsdale/Phoenix that much hotter than Tucson?

Thoughts?
E
AG
Only played two courses in Scottsdale; WeKoPa Saguaro and WeKoPa Cholla. I would go back and play either of those in a heartbeat... amazing courses!

Everyone that I know who played TPC Scottsdale said it was way overrated. Not worth the money, especially if the stands are down already.
Bunk Moreland
Champions Course > Stadium Course, neither would be my choice.

I would go with Troon North, Grayhawk, or WeKoPa
AustinCountyAg
Bunk Moreland said:

Champions Course > Stadium Course, neither would be my choice.

I would go with Troon North, Grayhawk, or WeKoPa

Stadium course if your rushed on time. WeKoPa if you want that best and have time for the best.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Sounds like I was right about the Stadium course. I'll skip that.

Is Quintero worth the drive? Looks like it's about an hour from our place.
David_Puddy
AG
Greyhawk
CyclingAg82
AG
David_Puddy said:

Greyhawk
Played Grayhawk Talon and We-Ko-Pa Cholla. Highly recommend those courses.

Grayhawk Raptor & We-Ko-Pa Saguaro along with Papago and Quintero are on my next list.

David_Puddy
AG
I did the opposite of you in June. We played Seguro & Raptor. You'll love them both
boy09
AG
Played Greyhawk Raptor, Troon North Pinnacle, TPC Stadium, and Gold Canyon Dinosaur Mountain.

They were all great, but i would rank them:
1. Troon
2. Greyhawk
3. TPC
4. Dinosaur Mountain (not worth the drive if you're only playing 1 or 2 rounds)

Really wish we could have played We-Ko-Pa, but we booked everything last minute and there were no tee times. I also really wanted to check out Quintero, but it was a bit too much of a drive. It looks awesome.
jja79
AG
Tucson is at considerably higher elevation than Phoenix so temperatures are noticeably cooler. It probably won't be 100 yet in May but when June hits look out. Last year was my first living here and summer is no joke but you're right it's dry so it's just hot, not both hot and miserable.

I think both We Ko PA and Quintero would be 45 minutes or so to Ft McDowell and Peoria drive time from north Scottsdale where you're staying. I think Quintero is worth the drive.. We Ko PA as well.

If it wasn't so far from you I think Dinosaur Mountain is my favorite. Sunridge Canyon also.

Champions course over the Stadium course.
Husker4theSpurs
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Sounds like I was right about the Stadium course. I'll skip that.

Is Quintero worth the drive? Looks like it's about an hour from our place.

If I were playing one course and you are up for the drive, I'd do Quintero. You get the remote feel and elevation change and scenery. You get away from the more resort feel around Scottsdale too.

Otherwise I really like the Troon North courses, WeKoPa, and Grayhawk--Raptor. WeKoPa courses best of those imho.
ScarmardoAg19
AG
Quintero is the best course in AZ hands down.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Geez choosing a couple Scottsdale courses to play is a great problem to have!!
Big Walt Law Firm
AG
Played troon north and we-ko-pa saguaro last spring. Loved the layout of troon, but it had clearly seen a lot of play. we-ko-pa was a much better track at that time.
jja79
AG
You can eliminate quite a few if you limit it to Scottsdale.
Mr.Bond
AG
jja79 said:

If it wasn't so far from you I think Dinosaur Mountain is my favorite. Sunridge Canyon also.

Champions course over the Stadium course.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jja79
AG
I probably shouldn't have said that.
Johnny Foosball
AG
If you want to get another quick round in one day, I would check out Mountain Shadows. It's an incredibly fun 18 hole par 3 course at the base of Camelback Mountain. It was always a hit when we lived in Scottsdale and had couples visiting.

Round takes like an hour and a half, also a fun place to grab drinks afterwards
Mr.Bond
AG
jja79 said:

I probably shouldn't have said that.

Just telling everyone about our hidden gem haha. April 10th we fly in. Can't wait
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

ChoppinDs40
AG
WeKoPa. Cholla

bowhuntr
Wekopa….zero houses
Throwout
AG
Love both of the We-Ko-Pa courses. Also love grabbing a drink on their patio after my round. Got buzzed by a rattlesnake looking for my tee shot, so keep that in mind. I also enjoy that there aren't a ton of houses close to the courses.
Ag_07
AG
Greyhawk Raptor

I thought Troon was cool for the views and conditions but as a golf course is wasn't all that. Very tricked up target golf with absolutely no room for error. Just not fun from a golf standpoint. Absolutely fantastic views and top notch service though
MechEAgg
AG
Tier 1:
GrayHawk Raptor - It's a party and conditions are pristine for NCAA tournament
Quintero - True Arizona mountain golf, personal favorite
We Ko Pa Cholla - Fantastic par 3's

Tier 2:
Troon Monument - Nice
GrayHawk Talon - Nice, its a party

Tier 3:
Ak Chin - Crazy good value at $100, not so much at $200. Could be unfair as I've played at both price points but blacked out both times
TPC Champions - Cool but not worth the TPC name
Mr.Bond
AG
Troon Monument wouldn't be in my top 5 courses in Phoenix for many reasons already stated.

Wild take here as well..... I prefer Talon over Raptor

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Troon Monument is out due to them punching the greens while we're there (love that they already have a schedule on that up!). It would have to be Pinnacles if I play Troon North.
jja79
AG
These aren't on the tourist rotation but Raven is good. Not desert golf but usually good condition. It's at South Mountain so good views into Phoenix. Verrado Founders out in Buckeye on the west side.

Don't do this if you're just here for 3 or 4 days but if you're here for a week or so try Dobson Ranch. It's the OG Mesa muni and it's really fun. Range is really great. A friend and I go hit balls there every couple of weeks. Grass Clippings in Tempe is also fun but you don't fly here for it.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
So far it sounds like Quintero is a must so I'll make it up there for sure. Looks like the middle of nowhere, but anywhere we should hit up with the wives after the round in that area?
AustinCountyAg
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

So far it sounds like Quintero is a must so I'll make it up there for sure. Looks like the middle of nowhere, but anywhere we should hit up with the wives after the round in that area?
I enjoyed WeKoPa much more than Quintero IMO. The par 3's were cool, but as a whole I thought both courses at WKP in general were better. and closer to Scottsdale.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Dang. Plan was Quintero and Troon north (mainly because we're so close to it), but might do Quintero and Wekopa instead?
AustinCountyAg
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Dang. Plan was Quintero and Troon north (mainly because we're so close to it), but might do Quintero and Wekopa instead?
don't overthink it. all 3 are excellent, but like I said WKP stand above the rest imo. go with whats cheaper or go by proximity to where you are staying?

I will also add if you want "get away" and not see houses WKP and Quintero are your options.
jja79
AG
Quintero isn't really further from where you're staying than We Ko Pa. If I could only go to one it would be Quintero all day long. But that's just me.
belowpar
AG
I'm playing Quintero and Dinosaur Mountain next week. I'll be happy to report back!
Mr.Bond
AG
belowpar said:

I'm playing Quintero and Dinosaur Mountain next week. I'll be happy to report back!

Love it.

Our lineup in April.
Quintero.
GHawk 36
Dinosaur Mountain
WeKoPa 36

We go every year. Super bummed about missing out on one of our favorites sunridge canyon due to time (best brat west of the Mississippi) but it's a gem as well

cb1919
AG
E said:

Only played two courses in Scottsdale; WeKoPa Saguaro and WeKoPa Cholla. I would go back and play either of those in a heartbeat... amazing courses!

Everyone that I know who played TPC Scottsdale said it was way overrated. Not worth the money, especially if the stands are down already.

We played Scottsdale with the stands up and I still thought it was way way way overrated.

We Ko Pa was AWESOME
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.