Real Estate
Sponsored by

Insurance for Roof Repair

743 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Rexter
BartInLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure what board to post this.

At midnight our policy transfers to Progressive. The roof is 20 years (composition) and definitely needs replacement as I was up there this week. Have 6 stains on ceiling spots.
I sprayed FlexSeal on but here's my question.
Being located just north of Houston obviously a 20 year old roof has endured hail damage. I'm ignorant on how that is assessed but I'm pretty sure an experienced roofer can tell.
So if an inspector comes by next week and noticed the interior and exterior damage, obviously it happened before tonight at midnight. We began noticing one spot a year ago but in the past 6 months we found 5 more. Yeah I shouldn't have put it off.
?? Will the former home insurance cover the damages? They do a depreciation model but the new insurance does replacement cost and ignores depreciation. I think I'm in a bind. Maybe I should keep two policies for awhile? Out of my knowledge field.

TIA
Hupernikao
AG
The previous insurance should cover it if you tie the damage to a specific storm/date. Usually the last major hail storm in your area. The new insurance will not cover it. Otherwise, everyone would just get a better policy and then immediately make a claim.
PeekingDuck
AG
They have extensive hail maps with timestamps. You'll need to claim it on the old policy if you want it replaced. Surprised Progressive wrote that at 20 years without an inspection.
Rexter
Prolly hasn't been inspected yet. Flexseal will get tagged as an improper repair.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.