Turks and Caicos Recommendations?

2,676 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by tamc93
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never been to the Caribbean. Never really done an island/beach vacation. It's not really how we travel, but I need to find something for the week of July 4th. Kids have camp the week before and the week after so probably keep it to 4-5 days. Chilling on the beach and not having to plan a lot of travel/adventure sounds appealing.

Flights to everywhere are expensive that week, but seemed ok from where we are to Turks and Caicos.
JMac03
AG
There is only a handful of all-inclusive resorts there.
Alexandra Resort, Blue Haven, Ambergris Cay and Beaches Turks and Caicos. Beaches will be crawling with kids.

Beach House used to be adults only but has closed in the past year.
jwag
AG
GF and I stayed at Ocean Club West last October. Good resort, real quiet, not all-inclusive. They have pull wagons that you can take to the grocery store in case you want to get snacks, drinks, etc. Lots of walkable restaurants, etc.

Entertainment - Did the half day buggy tour and our guides were very funny. Also did a boat tour at night with drinks and had a great time. Need to go back soon.
ag0184
I have been going to Turks for over 15 years and I would recommend Seven Stars. It is an outstanding property with good restaurants, pool and a great beach on Grace Bay. It is well kept and service is excellent! Let me know if you have any questions or need dinner recommendations.
drumboy
AG
ag0184 said:

I have been going to Turks for over 15 years and I would recommend Seven Stars. It is an outstanding property with good restaurants, pool and a great beach on Grace Bay. It is well kept and service is excellent! Let me know if you have any questions or need dinner recommendations.
I came here to ask about Seven Stars. All I know is we're staying there for a wedding in September and I want to watch the arkansas game.
ag0184
Just put your bathing suit on in the morning and your good until dinner. A good "island" grocery store is about 1 block from the entrance. Seven is the name of the main restaurant and does a good breakfast buffet or you can order off the menu. Pool restaurant is good for snacks and lunch for burger type food. There is a nicer lunch restaurant with a view of the beach (10 feet away) that has sit down table service. Great place for drinks before going out for dinner.

They offer drink and food service to chairs on the beach, by the pool and on the adult only deck. The resort has excellent security. A lot of the guards are retired Burka soldiers. Several tennis courts available, ball machine and the courts are also striped for pickle ball
ag0184
I don't know about getting the Arkansas game. You should find out what channel and contact the resort. Most of the news is out of Miami. Danny Boys is a sports bar within walking distance and I would think they might be able o get it.
txags92
AG
The one thing I would say is that after flying through there earlier this spring, I would go WAY out of my way and probably pay extra not to fly in or out of PLS on a Saturday ever again. We went to South Caicos for diving, so I don't have much to recommend regarding Provo, but if you want to get off the beaten path and get away from the crowds completely in T&C, East Bay Resort on South Caicos would be my recommendation.
Potcake
AG
That is another airport I should have put on my least favorite list.
txags92
AG
Potcake said:

That is another airport I should have put on my least favorite list.
Yeah, and I would include Intercaribbean Airways out of PLS on the list of airlines I will never voluntarily fly again if I have other options.
Ag CPA
AG
We stayed at Villa Renaissance last Thanksgiving through VRBO (and going back this Thanksgiving); great setup and next to plenty of restaurants, shops and maybe the most expensive grocery store in the world.
CinchAG97
If you want low key and chill with a great little beach with good snorkeling and great food check out Bohio Dive Resort on Grand Turk.
Big Al 1992
AG
PLS is a third world airport. It is awful.
MS08
AG
Resurrecting this thread - looking at going in November 2024 for anniversary. Have only done cursory research. It looks like the initial flights only go into PLS? Supposedly mixed reviews about that airport.

Looking at staying at Rock House. Kids will not be in tow this time around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
weston.gooch
AG
MS08 said:

Resurrecting this thread - looking at going in November 2024 for anniversary. Have only done cursory research. It looks like the initial flights only go into PLS? Supposedly mixed reviews about that airport.

Looking at staying at Rock House. Kids will not be in tow this time around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Wife and I stayed at COMO Parrot Cay and had a great time. Resort is on a private island with miles of beach to walk, good food/drink.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
CinchAG97 said:

If you want low key and chill with a great little beach with good snorkeling and great food check out Bohio Dive Resort on Grand Turk.

Bohio is closed now. Looks like a bankruptcy. It was a really nice place with a cool catamaran dive boat. They seemed like they were doing it right, and had been doing so for years. I have no idea what happened. Was hoping to go back.

breezecustomtravel
AG
Rock House is really nice! It sits up kind of on a cliff and has some spectacular views and the sunset is beautiful.
The beach is smaller and you have to walk down stairs to it but the sand is white and water is the most turquoise blue.
My honeymoon clients love it and it's a great option for couples.
COMO Parrot Cay, Ambergris Cay and Meridian Club at Pine Cay are some other favorites along the same lines as Rock House.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
The Grinder (99)
AG
Are those resorts more for couples? What about a good Caribbean resort for a family of four (wife and I plus two teens)? Don't really want a place that is TOO family aka kid oriented. Thatvis, with older kids don't want a mega resort that has kid activities. Would like a nice beach. A medium size place with a cool pool and access to fun activities (jet ski, snorkeling, etc…)
MS08
AG
Really good stuff all! Thanks for responding.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Ambergris Cay is a great option for families with teens. They have many included activities like snorkeling, fishing, hobiecat sailing, etc.. Ambergris Cay is all-inclusive and requires a short flight from PLS to get to.
Como Parrot Cay has some similar offerings as well and they are on a private island also, short boat ride over.
Wymara is another one that I've sent some families with teens to.

Beaches Resort would definitely be a no, very large resort and can feel overly catered to young kids, even though I think if you were in the right section it would be fine.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
tamc93
AG
Love T&C, but since they shut down their shooting ranges ... we are going to stop going.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.