F150 Leveling Kit - Tire Size (to still fit in parking garages)

2,211 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Ryan the Temp
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At some point here I am going to level my 22 4wd with probably a 2" front and possibly a 1" in the rear with an add a leaf for towing. I'm really not looking to go to a big tire and have actually been debating just going with a 275/65/20 over 275/60/20 stock size.

My question is if any of yall are running bigger and still are able to get in most parking garages? What size are you running if so?

I spend a lot of time in parking garages visiting clients and also parking at airport. That's a convenience I do not want to change with a bro'd out truck on 35s.

TIA
Strongwind86
AG
Here's my 2016 with the Bilstein 5100 level set at 1.75" with the 275/60/20 (33" tall) Michelin LTX AT2's

Link to pics and specs - F150 level

I work downtown (Houston) and park in a garage. Think it's 6'-6" clearance - my truck has a little better than an inch to spare. My biggest grip in the garage is how narrow it is... SW '86
mm98
AG
Thanks. There was nothing mentioned in your post but for 1.75" do you have to change UCA, or was it at least discussed?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
On my 2014, which the suspension looks very similar, you didn't have to. I believe 2" or less is safe for upper control arm and other suspension components but I'm not even close to an expert… that's just google fu
mm98
AG
Ok. I've heard similar. Just wanted so real experience feedback. Thanks.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yep. I ran 1.75" on my 14
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
35x11.50R20 Recon Graps with Ford Bilstein kit.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
But does it fit in parking garages?!?!?!?! Follow the assignment….
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

But does it fit in parking garages?!?!?!?! Follow the assignment….

I have a burner car for that.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Must be nice
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Must be nice

Lifted Expedition fits.
drummer0415
AG
2017 F150 4x4, front 2.5" level, true 35x12.50s.

I've never encountered a parking garage I couldn't fit in. My antenna will hit the roof sometimes and scare the bejeesus out of me, but I've never not fit.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's because you're too focused on fitting in the 6.5 bed

That's encouraging! I won't go that tall but yours looks good
hunterjr81
Leveling kit Pro's vs Con's:

Pro:

Truck is level front to back with no rake
Can fit bigger tires
More dudes will admire the look and ask you how much it cost etc.

Con:

Worse gas mileage
Truck squats more when towing
Headlights need to be adjusted which most people don't do.
Added suspension wear and tear.

I wouldn't do it if it's a daily driver or you tow a lot. The majority of trucks I see broke down on the road have some sort of suspension lift. I personally don't like the leveled out look but to each his own. Spend the money on proper maintenance….only changing the oil is not sufficient.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm well aware of the pros and cons and I have had a truck with 1.75" level before. Since I tow regularly, I need to maintain a rake on the truck but I like the look of a raised nose on the truck. I'm not looking to throw 35s on but rather a tire that is less than 1" taller and not wider than OE size.

Additionally, I plan to add a 1" leaf in the rear for payload capacity so if I do a 1.75-2" in the front it is really only 1" or less of rake lost, leaving approximately an 1.5" of rake left.
superolds88
AG
I have a '22 FX4 and did a FOX 2.0 leveling kit. Tires are 34" 295/60R20 Toyo AT3 (factory 20" wheels). Ride quality and handling are great. I've been running this setup for almost two years with zero issues.

It's my daily and parking garages are generally okay. I'm able to fit in most garages, but not all of them. I typically will check the height clearances if I can. I should be able to fit in a garage that is 6'8'', but I don't trust it for some reason...just don't want to put myself in a bad situation. Anything 7' and above is solid.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Truck looks great! Biggest I'll go is 275/65/20 which should be shorter than yours.
JB
AG
20 year old beater F150 on 2" and 35s. Never had an issue with parking garages.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I'm running a 295 65 (60??) 20 tire and can still fit in my garage with a level on the front and back (Bilstein).
plarmigan
AG
2023 FX4 with a Bilstein 2.5" front level. 275/65r20s Nitto Recon Grapplers. There a few parking garages that I didn't want to risk it. I think they were 6'8" but not positive. Just like Superolds anything 7'+ has been fine. If I know I am going to go into a parking garage I usually just take my wife's expedition.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pretty similar to what I am looking to run but won't do 2.5" in front. 2" max to keep some rake. That looks really good!
satexas
AG
This may help you a bunch...

I did a lot of detail on what I did with my 2021...

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ta-da-2021-lariat-502a-powerboost-build-w-full-details-tires-addons-links.2154/

1. Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires ($329/ea)
275 /65 R20 126Q E1 BSW , 9" wide with a +12 offset (Stock is 275/60-20, 8.5w/+44)
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nitto-ridge-grappler#

2. Readylift 66-2120 Lift Kit (~500-600 parts+install)
https://www.readylift.com/2-0-leveling-kit-ford-f-150-2021.html

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yep, very helpful. I know exactly what I want to do, I am just trying to confirm I'm not screwing myself in parking garages. That's really all this boils down to. Seems like it's a nonissue for most folks and I'm not going taller than a 275/65/20.

I like the idea of the 295/60/20 but they weigh about 15lbs more than the 275. A wider tire definitely looks better but more focused on functionality and towing performance, with a bigger tire and slight lift.
satexas
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Yep, very helpful. I know exactly what I want to do, I am just trying to confirm I'm not screwing myself in parking garages. That's really all this boils down to. Seems like it's a nonissue for most folks and I'm not going taller than a 275/65/20.

I like the idea of the 295/60/20 but they weigh about 15lbs more than the 275. A wider tire definitely looks better but more focused on functionality and towing performance, with a bigger tire and slight lift.

With my setup, I've gotten pretty close to hitting some roof-beams in parking garages... so I'm personally scared to go 'taller' than I am now - and quite frankly mine isn't nearly as tall as some. Mine is stock + big tires on the 20" rims, and a leveling (not heightening) kit (only front end lifted, rear is stock height)
superolds88
AG
plarmigan, I see we have very similar tastes!
superolds88
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

The 295s definitely add a lot of weight.

I went with the 5.0 with the thought that I would add the Whipple supercharger, which I ended up doing. The power is insane. Same drive-ability when cruising/putting around, but as much power as I could ever want whenever I want.
rme
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Truck looks great! Biggest I'll go is 275/65/20 which should be shorter than yours.
275/65/20 is slightly larger than 295/60/20
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I caught that after I ran the conversion to standard. The extra 20mm of width adds a lot of rubber, even with a smaller aspect ratio. As I mentioned above, that size tire weighs quite a bit more than the 275/65/20. Trying to minimize the loss in performance for towing and that makes a difference.
rme
AG
Yes, and the 295s cost a little more too.
FiTxAg04
AG
2023 FX4. I installed the Eibach Pro 2R leveling kit and raised the front end 2". 18" sport wheels still with factory 275/65r18 Goodyears. Getting time to replace the factory tires and I want bigger to fill the gaps but not too big (35"s). Looking primarily at Nitto Recon Grapplers, Falken Wildpeak AT4W and Toyo Open Country AT III. Wondering how much ride quality I will lose jumping to an E rated tire (I don't tow much so not worried). I feel like the perfect tire size for me would be 285/70r18. Largest I can go without jumping to an E rated tire in the Nitto (XL) and Falken (C) is a 285/65r18. The biggest thing holding me back from the Falkens is they're friggin heavy.

So, 285/65r18 in an XL rated Nitto or should I just say eff it and jump to a 285/70r18 E rated in any of the above?
Aggie Class of 2026
Trucks with higher front ends than the rear
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If the weight is similar to the E, go with the bigger/taller tire, in my opinion. I'd love to jump into a D rated tire instead of an E but not many if any options in a 275/65/20.
FiTxAg04
AG
I still have 1.5" of rake. 3.5" factory rake looked stupid.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's not what I am going for. 2" front, 1" in back with add a lead for towing = 1" front raise. That's plenty of rake for towing and a better looking stance, in my opinion.
AgAppraiser
AG
2021 Powerboost with 2" RC level front only with 275/65/20 Recon Grapplers. No issue with parking garages. Ride is great. Tires are maybe 51 lbs. Lost about 1 mpg on average with level and bigger tires but have not calibrated taller size.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.