2018 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 advice

1,960 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 87IE
flipper94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seen some other years listed, but just got the opportunity to take a 2018 1500 4wd with the 5.3 L V8 with 42,000 miles. Would replace a 2014 F150 XLT 2wd with 86,000 miles. Have the opportunity to keep one and sell one. Know there is some knowledge here on the Silverados and looking for advice. Googling brought up some transmission concerns, what else? Is there an obvious choice and are the transmission concerns real?

The F150 is my 16 year old sons truck and he really likes the 4WD silverado and that years body style. He is practical though and will listen to facts.

I need some guidance from the gurus.
CanyonAg77
AG
Stand by for 5 pages of unsolicited advice about what vehicle your 16-year-old should be driving.

Two more pages on Ford vs. Chevy
87IE
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Stand by for 5 pages of unsolicited advice about what vehicle your 16-year-old should be driving.

Two more pages on Ford vs. Chevy
He's right you know......

Which engine in the F150?

I'll say that the thought of the GM ****** and AFM would keep me from going that route.

If the F150 has a V8 I'd vote for that..

Disclaimer.. I had a 2010 F150 with the small V8 that I took to 216k on the original transmission and didn't have the cam phasers to worry about.

Keep in mind that my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.....

It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
aggiepaintrain
AG
DO NOT BUY unless you get a warranty.
The engines are very prone to lifter and cam shaft issues.
I'd rather buy a Tundra or 5.0 V8 Ford

and good luck with insurance
Silvy
AG
I'll echo the above. The cam/lifter issue is very real as is the transmission issue. Theft is a major issue as APT alluded to.

15-17 F150 5.0 is the sweet spot for reliable, affordable, domestic trucks imo
n_dagley
AG
I'll echo this. I've got 185k on a 2016 f150 5.0 fx4 that I bought new. By FAR the best vehicle I've ever owned. The check engine light has never even come on.
Aggie Class of 2026
You're asking a forum full of F150/Ford lovers

Good luck
Dill-Ag13
AG
Silvy said:

I'll echo the above. The cam/lifter issue is very real as is the transmission issue. Theft is a major issue as APT alluded to.

Buck Compton
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Silvy said:

Silvy
AG
At this point in time, the newest GMT800 is nearly 20 years old. Most aren't willing to do the work to keep it going. I've never been one to tout GMT900 and newer, they can be made reliable, but most people aren't willing to do the modifications it entails.

I would've bought another GMT800 if I wasn't concerned about theft.
aggieforester05
AG
My old man has a 2018 with a 6.2L that he's put 127K on. You may or may not have lifter problems. You WILL have problems with that POS 8-speed. His has been in the shop three or four times for the tyranny, with the torque converter replaced once. GM has no fix that is anything more than a temporary bandaid. I also hate the offset steering wheel. My 2020 has had its issues and I wouldn't buy again, but it's been better than the 2018.
91AggieLawyer
AG
DO NOT buy a 201x GM half-ton.

PERIOD. Especially a later decade one.
Redstone
AG
Haven't had a GM since trading Equinox for Toyota.
rebelag62
AG
Sounds like a bunch of pro ford, Chevy haters in this group. Doubt most have owned a Chevy. I'll be the Chevy guy. Can't say anything about ford, because I've never owned one. '14 Silverado, 4x4, 180k miles. I have replaced the transmission, as everyone knows, it's a known issue. Aftermarket rebuilds resolve the common issues as far as I can tell so far. Love the truck, the 5.3 is a solid engine. I'll no doubt put 3-400k miles on it. I have a chip, so I don't have the AFM or lifter concerns. It's cheap enough to do yourself, and with that few of miles, I wouldn't be concerned. If you service the transmission regularly, you may not have the issues most have. I got 130k out of mine.
Silvy
AG
I'm the resident Chevy bro (see username). Transmission rebuilds don't solve the transmission issue, you need a custom tune from someone reputable to calibrate the shifting and TC lockup. The reason the 6L80e is so problematic because the TC is constantly slipping and locking/unlocking for the sake of comfort and fuel economy.

Even with your "chip" you're open to AFM lifter failure because the hardware is still in your engine. I expect you'll need some lifters from 1998 to make it to 400k miles.
rebelag62
AG
I was taking about you, just the general I love Ford, hate Chevy peanut gallery. Curious about the lifter issue though. Gonna have to check into that.
AggieJames09
AG
I just Traded in my 2018 Silverado 5.3. This was my repairs after following routine maintenance schedule and trying my hardest to make the truck last as original owner:

85k miles - transmission went out (this is very common for this year and truck)
110k miles - fuel pump went out middle of IH35 rush hour
140k miles - water pump, belts, brake booster pump, motor mounts, shocks struts, few other things left me stranded twice.

Also lots of radio and annoying little electrical problems last two years.
flipper94
AG
Sorry guys. Last week and half has sucked ass and have not been back on here. Appreciate the responses, although I don't like them. Wanted to add some info I should have in the OP.

Current 2014 Ford is 3.5L V6. (one guy on here knows exactly what truck I'm talking about, thanks again, it is bad ass). No issues, 16 year old son has Bro'd it out a bit with a leveling kit and 35's, existing bad ass speakers with addition of big subs,(I feel like I'm back in 1986 in a dropped Mazda B2300 with 4 18's in the back). Super clean and really nice.

Possible 2018 Chevy is a free to me option. Father in law passed and purchased this 3 years ago. Will be zero investment, up front, should we choose to take it. Buddy said the tune will FIX the AFM/Lifter issue. (honestly I dont know what either of those mean), and said to replace the torque converter immediately.

So, If I invested nothing, could sell the 2014 ford for more than the 2018 Chevy, got the transmission checked out, got the Torque converter replaced, did the tune thing for the AFM, could I feel confident for getting the boy through the next two to four years of high school and college?

Edit to add: The tune turns off the 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder switch?
flipper94
AG
Insurance? Is this a thing with these year models for problems or getting stolen? Didnt even think about that. Jeez, Can't get to the country soon enough.
CanyonAg77
AG
That it's free makes an interesting choice.

First, let's be honest and admit that the chances of a teenage boy ruining a truck are pretty good. So I have no trouble leaving him in an older truck with more miles. If the Ford is well maintained, there's no reason why it shouldn't go another 50,000 to 100,000 miles with relatively little problem. That's tens of thousands more than he is likely to put on it

I also get the appeal of a newer truck with fewer miles. But the way I read thi$, your plan i$ to pay a mechanic to make change$ is $y$tem$ that you aren't that familiar with, and, I a$$ume $ell the Ford. I'm not that familiar with the 2018$ my$elf, but the guru$ here don't $eem to be fan$.

Were it me, unless the Chevy is in fantastic shape, I'd consider selling it, and telling son we will update your ride with that money when you head to college. In the meantime, the known flaws are Someone Else's Problem
87IE
AG
The chance for your son to own his Grandpa's truck with 0 investment changes my tune.

Sell the F150 and use the proceeds to get the AFM disabled.

Put the rest away in a car repair fund for if/when the trans goes out.

My son cherishes anything he can get that was Papa's. I just brought home the foot locker dad had from his time in WWII and my son's eyes lit up.
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.