Houston
Sponsored by

City Sidewalk ordinance

1,187 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by AlaskanAg99
lb1lb2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone had any experience with this ordinance? Family member is building a house in west Houston that does not have any sidewalks in the entire neighborhood, yet by code you have to build sidewalks on your property or pay a fee to the City , not to have sidewalks?

I hate this code/ ordinance but is there a way around it?

looking for some help.
drumboy
AG
lb1lb2 said:

Has anyone had any experience with this ordinance? Family member is building a house in west Houston that does not have any sidewalks in the entire neighborhood, yet by code you have to build sidewalks on your property or pay a fee to the City , not to have sidewalks?

looking for some help.

Good luck. Old house in spring branch was the only house on the street with a sidewalk.
Ryan the Temp
AG
If there are no sidewalks in neighborhood, you can obtain a waiver.
lb1lb2
AG
Ryan
Can you give some direction in obtaining a waiver. This is the type of help I need since all of my searches have led to pay the fee. Any direction to a department or contact you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

LB1LB2
Ryan the Temp
AG
My memory is a bit hazy, but I think the City Engineer's office handles sidewalk waivers and variances.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I thought the fee is required if you want to go the waiver route?
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TriAg2010
AG
drumboy said:

lb1lb2 said:

looking for some help.

Good luck. Old house in spring branch was the only house on the street with a sidewalk.

Hah, there was a house in my SB neighborhood that was rebuilt after a fire. Exactly as you describe, only house in the neighborhood with a sidewalk. Looks so dumb. They went with a gravel path and slowly the lawn is reclaiming the sidewalk.

Is the fee a one-time thing?
lb1lb2
AG
Yes it is. Build the sidewalks or pay for the waiver.
htxag09
AG
Pretty sure they've started cracking down on this recently. Waivers used to be cheap so everyone did it. According to my bil, it's actually cheaper to build the sidewalk now (about $1/sq ft cheaper).

I have a family member west of the heights building and going through this. They'll have the only stretch of sidewalk on the block.

It's the reason every new build in oak forest now has a sidewalk in front of even though it's not connected to anything on either side.

I believe the long term plan is for the city to connect all these sidewalks. They've done a few streets in oak forest.
agz win
AG
Saw an investigation segment starting on the overseeing of problem sidewalks in the Heights area. One of the local tv stations were running it a few days ago.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Sidewalks is a really big push to make the city and county "walkable". As part of the green push buy Sidewalks are such a pain because people plant trees near them and the roots eventually lift and make the sidewalk a giant trip hazard. Which is what's happened in my older neighborhood.

But the homeowner owns the sidewalk so eventually they'll be fined if it's not in decent t repair.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.