The mall is suing the city of CS

32,591 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Hornbeck
VAXMaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
91_Aggie said:

city shouldn't own real estate to be landlord.
Comrade, a central planning committee is best to manage resources for the betterment of the people. Unfortunately seizing property generates too much emotional response so the party has found a smoother path: seize additional tax money at every opportunity, then use those funds to purchase one property at a time. Spreading out the seizure over many tax payers dilutes push back to a manageable level but ends in the same glorious effect. It will take longer but eventually we will live in a people's utopia!
woodiewood
TexasAggie_02 said:

91_Aggie said:

phillytex24 said:

can anybody tell me why the City of College Station would want to buy a store in the mall? I've never heard of a city buying a store in any mall.
They heard rumors of some type of business they didn't want in there possibly buying it (or maybe it was a church that wanted to buy it).
so in order to stop a non profit from buying it and taking it off the tax rolls, the city buys it with tax money and takes it off the tax rolls.....
.......and now looking to put an A&M entity inside which also is a tenant off the property tax rolls.

Great job city!
Passwordgone
Mooney was mayor when this deal was struck, correct? As well as when TXdot and COCS staff were working on median plans…

Nichols is left holding the bag, as he is currently Mayor…
Passwordgone
Jen Prochaska didn't do her job. Career government employee with no private sector experience. Bureaucrat.
Passwordgone
Same is happening in county government . Bryan city is run by a cartel.
Passwordgone
Lowered rate? Or actually lowered taxes? There actually is a difference
TyHolden
AG
I heard this morning that they are taking proposals for turning the old Macy's into an E-sports center. If they could get that to go through and somehow get the Dude Perfect Land built here, we'd become a tourist destination. Every kid under 50 knows who Dude Perfect is.
Hornbeck
Passwordgone said:

Lowered rate? Or actually lowered taxes? There actually is a difference

Shhhh! Nancy Berry and other politicos don't want you to know that. Go to sleep, sheeple!
Bob Yancy
Please refrain from personal attacks against city staff. If you disagree with the decision hold your elected officials accountable. Staff didn't make the decision at all. Your statement is incorrect on multiple fronts.

Respectfully.
My opinions are mine and should not be construed as those of city council or staff. I welcome robust debate but will cease communication on any thread in which colleagues or staff are personally criticized. I must refrain from comment on posted agenda items until after meetings are concluded. Bob Yancy 95
91_Aggie
AG
Bob, appreciate your presence here.
I am looking to learn... who brings projects like buying the Macy's to the city council's attention?
Does each council member do this? Or do members of city staff like planners bring pet projects to your attention?

I ask because it appears some believe that while the council has to approve projects, they likely wouldn't have even known about them if not for city staff members championing them. So it would be nice to dispel that if it is not correct.
Or validate it.
-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
Bob Yancy
91_Aggie said:

Bob, appreciate your presence here.
I am looking to learn... who brings projects like buying the Macy's to the city council's attention?
Does each council member do this? Or do members of city staff like planners bring pet projects to your attention?

I ask because it appears some believe that while the council has to approve projects, they likely wouldn't have even known about them if not for city staff members championing them. So it would be nice to dispel that if it is not correct.
Or validate it.

Thanks for the question. Both happen. Entities approach both staff and council. The ultimate decision is the city council's. Staff never get patently promotional. They give the X's and O's and council decides on anything significant. Staff are human of course. They see ideas they like and those they don't, but they're careful to be neutral when they bring it to us.
My opinions are mine and should not be construed as those of city council or staff. I welcome robust debate but will cease communication on any thread in which colleagues or staff are personally criticized. I must refrain from comment on posted agenda items until after meetings are concluded. Bob Yancy 95
EBrazosAg
AG
Bumping this - any info? Got to thinking about it this am driving by thinking "it's so great the COCS bought that store so it wouldn't be an empty shell or an eyesore……."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
happyinBCS
I tried to find something on Justice web but could not find anything

I think the bottom line is, the monthly fees keep piling up and hopefully the court will add interest because CBL deserves that

I will call the city tomorrow it is public, and we need an update
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

Insta props need to fit well in a square. You can't get that entire sign in the shot and be able to see the person in it.

What if you have a giant graduation mortar board/hat created and mounted onto the Instagram prop?

Sorry, no photo, I was passing by in the dark.

Maybe the city can tell us what giant graduation Instagram prop hats cost and which budget they come out of.
woodiewood
Even if the city gets a tenant that covers operating costs such as A&M, it still shouldn't be in the property leasing business competing with the private sector. We have a sufficient number of professional commercial leasing companies in our area.

The city should only purchase properties that they have need for either their own use or projected use in the future.

maroon barchetta
From today's kbtx article on the city council meeting last night:

Can someone give their interpretation of this news?
maroon barchetta
Also, here is the aforementioned addition to the Instagram prop
trouble
AG
Oh that's just awful
maroon barchetta
I'm sure it didn't cost the taxpayer a dime.
Hornbeck
maroon barchetta said:

From today's kbtx article on the city council meeting last night:

Can someone give their interpretation of this news?

Sounds like the city is getting into the low income housing business, because HUD isn't a thing? That's my guess…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.