Outdoors
Sponsored by

Advice - about to install a gooseneck hitch. What kind?

1,429 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by schmellba99
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been decades since I had a gooseneck ball installed. Now I see flip downs and pins that allow you to pop the ball in/out.

I'll be pulling tractors on trailers and dump trailers, sometimes hay trailers.

Opinions on what kind/brand?

Also best place in Aggieland that does the install?

Thanks!
Dogdoc
AG
I like B&W. I have their hitch with the companion 5th wheel hitch. No idea about installers in College Station. The company website may have it.
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/turnoverball-gooseneck-hitch
FortWorthAg
AG
I have a B&W Turnover Ball and highly recommend it.
Bronco6Gen
Texas Truck Riggins on Boonville Rd.

I opted for the B&W Turnover ball underbed mount...I have zero complaints
CanyonAg77
AG
Next hitch will be a B&W turnover. Can do 5th wheels as well. If I'm looking at the diagrams correctly, a B&W bolts to the frame.

Normal gooseneck/5th wheel bolts to frame with 90degree straps, then those straps bolt to rails in bed. Eight small holes in bed, B&W one bigger hole. Those 8 bolts are a PITA to tighten, and I'd bet lots of folks don't do it well

They are an even bigger PITA if the bed ever needs to come off
Jason_InfinityRoofer
B&W TURNOVER BALL

I have these on my trucks. You can install them yourself if you like. The toughest part is getting the nerve to run that hole saw through your truck bed.
Deerdude
B&W hands down. But occasionally pull ball out and flip or just clean. That feed dust really likes to wedge in the ball if you let it.
Chetos
AG
PSA… always check the ball release handle to make sure some punk didn't pull it. Be nice if there was a way to lock it.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
B&W Turnover, work perfectly with my B&W 5th wheel companion hitch. It's a great system.
Todd 02
AG
Another vote for B&W. Have a Turnover Ball in my '09 Chevy and also use the fifth wheel Companion.

I had the factory GN hitch installed in my '24 GMC, but still use the B&W Companion that fits my GM puck system.
lawless89
B&W installed by the crew at Texas Truck Riggins.
BQ_90
AG
Deerdude said:

B&W hands down. But occasionally pull ball out and flip or just clean. That feed dust really likes to wedge in the ball if you let it.

When I had this hitch I would give it a good coating of lithium grease to keep,it from sticking
ought1ag
AG
this may be the most landsided victory for recommendations in all of OB!!
milkman00
AG
B*W is the go to, as you can tell by the replies. I find it superior to the factory hitch especially on a Ram, since Ram's factory hitch takes up so much more space in the bed for the 4 post RV mount. Ford's factory hitch is more compact, but if not done from factory, I wouldn't even consider a factory option on any brand.
Deerdude
I got the factory hitch about 2-3 trucks ago, I think it was an '11 F250.

Friggin ball was extra for over $400. For a hitch ball.
Kenneth_2003
AG
ought1ag said:

this may be the most landsided victory for recommendations in all of OB!!

The most? Heck I'm thinking it might be the ONLY!
ought1ag
AG
yeah you're right

good opportunity to throw out the rumor that Yeti has a gooseneck hitch that retails for $3,999 but its totally worth it b/c it keeps your hitch balls super cold
Ag97
AG
One drawback on the B&W is on some models you have to remove the hitch to change your rear shocks. I attempted to change my shocks last year on my 17" F250 only to realize that the mounting brackets for the B&W didn't allow it on the right rear. I called B&W and they informed me on certain brands/year models that the design didn't allow for removal of the shock. It was rather shocking to find out.
GSS
Deerdude said:

Ordered my 2012 F-250 (still have it), with the factory GN hitch package.
Came with a bag containing the GN ball, and the two safety chain hookups.
And all three bed cuts have the plastic insert/covers, when not in use.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

It was rather shocking to find out.
Deerdude
GSS said:

Deerdude said:

Ordered my 2012 F-250 (still have it), with the factory GN hitch package.
Came with a bag containing the GN ball, and the two safety chain hookups.
And all three bed cuts have the plastic insert/covers, when not in use.

If I had known it would have been a part of negotiations, but it was total surprise when they delivered and I signed off then later learned that it was separate.
Kinda like rear bumpers back in the day. A whopping $75 extra you had to negotiate to throw in.
ghollow
AG
I have a fold down gooseneck hitch in my F250. Pretty sure it is a draw-tite. It has been a great hitch. It was in the truck when I bought it. Installer welded two 3/4"x 4" bars across my truck frame and bolted the hitch to them. It has worked great.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
AgEng06
AG
Just to pile on, another vote for the B&W Turnover Ball.
schmellba99
AG
FortWorthAg said:

I have a B&W Turnover Ball and highly recommend it.
I bought one of the knockoff brands of the B&W but haven't installed it yet out of sheer laziness. Was planning on the B&W, but this price I couldn't pass up and it gets really good reviews. Glad to hear that design is a good one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.