*** Megalopolis ***

3,348 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by TCTTS
MASAXET
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starting a thread because the teaser dropped and I'm surprised how relatively little discourse I'm seeing. This concept from Coppola and the story of its making are crazy. I think this is going to be an event, one way or another.

Excited for it to open.

javajaws
AG
I like how at the very end when displaying the title it ads "A fable". Definitely hard to tell whats real/not real (if any of it is real lol). Looks interesting - I'd definitely watch it but probably not in a theater.

Has there been any movement on him finding a buyer?
TCTTS
AG
Coppola has only sold to international markets so far. It's premiering at Cannes in a day or two, though, and depending on the reception I imagine he finally lands a domestic distributor relatively soon.
AtticusMatlock
That looks wild and interesting. One of those films I don't want to know anything about until I see it. I hope it lands here in theaters somewhere.
bonfarr
AG
TCTTS said:

Coppola has only sold to international markets so far. It's premiering at Cannes in a day or two, though, and depending on the reception I imagine he finally lands a domestic distributor relatively soon.

I have seen some of the reports after distributors saw the film and some of them called it a total mess but could be because it's one of those films they don't know how to market. I can see where the movie initially flops but over time it gains on people and becomes some sort of cult classic. That's obviously with me just seeing the trailer and reading reports from those that have seen it.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

one of those films they don't know how to market.
I'd market it as, "Probably Francis Ford Coppola's last movie. And it's Weird Francis, not the guy who made Jack or The Rainmaker, or whatever those last couple things were."

But the trailer seriously makes me want to see it just to see what it is.

This weird Guardian article full of quotes from anonymous "sources" on the production complaining about him also made me want to see what the hell he ended up with:

Has this guy ever made a movie before?

40 something years in the making, supposedly.

TCTTS
AG
I'm not quite sure how many distributors (or distributor reps) were at that now-infamous screening, and which distributors were in attendance is of course key too. For instance, have streamers like Apple and Amazon seen it yet, or A24, Neon, or any of the smaller, more indie distributors? I'm not sure. Either way, marketing concerns could be alleviated somewhat if Cannes audiences respond well over the next week or so, starting tonight (local/France time) with the world premiere. In other words, we should have a better idea in just a matter of hours...
Apache
AG
Looks weird to me, but it's Coppola so I'm going to watch.
bonfarr
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm not quite sure how many distributors (or distributor reps) were at that now-infamous screening, and which distributors were in attendance is of course key too. For instance, have streamers like Apple and Amazon seen it yet, or A24, Neon, or any of the smaller, more indie distributors? I'm not sure. Either way, marketing concerns could be alleviated somewhat if Cannes audiences respond well over the next week or so, starting tonight (local/France time) with the world premiere. In other words, we should have a better idea in just a matter of hours...

For the stakeholders in the film ,which in this case largely consists of Coppola himself since much of it was self funded, how does a deal with a streamer like Amazon or Netflix affect their potential profits? Does the streamer just negotiate a one time fee and then release it for a specified period? If Megalopolis cost $130 MM to produce I would be surprised if American Zoetrope could do more than break even with an Amazon or Apple TV deal. Don't they also say a film needs to do 2-3x the production cost to break even due to Marketing costs?
uujm
bonfarr said:

TCTTS said:

For the stakeholders in the film ,which in this case largely consists of Coppola himself since much of it was self funded, how does a deal with a streamer like Amazon or Netflix affect their potential profits? Does the streamer just negotiate a one time fee and then release it for a specified period? If Megalopolis cost $130 MM to produce I would be surprised if American Zoetrope could do more than break even with an Amazon or Apple TV deal. Don't they also say a film needs to do 2-3x the production cost to break even due to Marketing costs?
Always depends on the deal.

My business partner is a co-owner of Almost Never which funded an equity portion of Barbarian. Position wise, they were behind $X.XX in box office proceeds to be recycled for marketing money to expand their theatrical footprint before they could recoup.
NoahAg
Looks like an absolute drain to watch. Also, probably 3.5 hours long.
Pass
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Claude!
TCTTS said:

This blurb kind of makes me want to see it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Sounds amazing.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Al Bula
AG
Oh man oh man, all those twitter dorks! Could be ripped from this convo in Signs!

AtticusMatlock
I must see this movie.
Malibu
These kind of reviews make it seem like this is the kind of movie that was made for the internet era to be a meme worthy viral spectacle of epic failure. If marketed correctly, as a movie where the audience gets to wink and be in on the joke, this could be a spectacular cult classic and mint money.
Goldie Wilson
Looks like it'll be a clunky disjointed mess. Will probably catch it at Alamo
Apache
AG
Reminds me of the trailer for the movie "Babylon" Crazy visuals & a "wtf is this" vibe.
LMCane
Reviews

most are not impressed

but I think I will see it due to Driver and Jon Voigt and Talia Shire
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.