2024 Books Read

28,791 Views | 302 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by The Marksman
rynning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm definitely in the minority here! I read Storm Front a few years ago, and it didn't grab me enough to pick up the next one. Do they get better?
YouBet
AG
rynning said:

I'm definitely in the minority here! I read Storm Front a few years ago, and it didn't grab me enough to pick up the next one. Do they get better?

Yes, they get awesome. The first handful of books, in hindsight, are tame in scope and they are his early works. The scope of those early books is logical though considering where Harry ends up by the end.
AustinScubaAg
AG
rynning said:

Right there with you. Made through 2 maybe 3 books but never hooked me despite the buzz here.
StewRo
AG
Chip War - Chris Miller
Afghanistan Papers - Craig Whitlock
The Devil's Hand - Jack Carr

Currently reading....

In The Blood - Jack Carr
Gambler - Billy Walters
cmk10
AG
How was Chip War?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

rynning said:

Right there with you. Made through 2 maybe 3 books but never hooked me despite the buzz here.

The first three really are very rough, each one gets more and more badass. I'm going to make DTAg blush, but when I do re-reads I usually skip the first two.
The Marksman
AG
Sword of Kings(Saxon Stories Book 12) by Bernard Cornwell. Onto the last book in the series now; I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys elite historical fiction.
StewRo
AG
cmk10 said:

How was Chip War?
I thought it was fantastic. Interesting that some of the resiliency/security questions we deal with today with the semi-conductor supply chain were issues back in the early stages of the semi-conductor era.

Seeing a memory fab operate is one of the coolest things I've seen in my career. Size of 6-7 soccer fields with 100s of pieces of equipment being managed by a handful of humans. Incredible operation.
Wolfpac 08
AG
I thought Clash of Kings was a long book…then I picked up Storm of Swords…they're so, so good though.

My watch continues…Winter is coming.

Read in 2024:

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Fairy Tale - Stephen King
The Shining - SK
A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara
Game of Thrones - GRRM
A Clash of Kings - GRRM

Up next:
A Storm of Swords - GRRM
The Dog Lord
AG
A Storm of Swords is the best in the series, so you will probably fly through it.
The Dog Lord
AG
Stormlight #3: Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson
Stormlight #4: Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson
The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson
Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas in-progress

ACOTAR was surprisingly enjoyable. The romance wasn't over the top imo. It was still my least favorite part, but there was enough going on to help me get through it. The last 1/3 of the book was the best part.

About 1/4 of the way through book 2 right now. It's pretty good so far (apparently it's a favorite for most).
Agristotle
AG
a couple of days ago, I was on this thread saying Ignatius has a new book, "Phantom Orbit"
While he has written several fine espionage books, this is not one of them.
Predictable, too much woke content, sprinkled with liberal snark.

YouBet
AG
Supernova in the East V - Dan Carlin
One left in this series. Several Pacific theater books I'm going to want to read out of this.

Completed YTD:

Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries #6)
Supernova in the East IV
Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7)
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files #8)
White Night (The Dresden Files #9)
Small Favor (The Dresden Files #10)
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files #11)
Changes (The Dresden Files #12)
Side Jobs (Stories from the Dresden Files #12.5)
Ghost Story (The Dresden Files #13)
Cold Days (The Dresden Files #14)
Skin Game (The Dresden Files #15)
Brief Cases (Stories from the Dresden Files #15.5)
Peace Talks (The Dresden Files #16)
Battleground (The Dresden Files #17)

Currently Reading:
Supernova in the East VI - Dan Carlin
Lives of the Stoics (The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius) - Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman
torrid
AG
I finally picked up "Lonesome Dove" a couple of weeks ago. I'm reading about ten pages a day, figure it will take me all summer.
13B
YouBet said:

One left in this series. Several Pacific theater books I'm going to want to read out of this.

Completed YTD:

Supernova in the East IV

Currently Reading:
Lives of the Stoics (The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius) - Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman
What did you think about Battleground?
YouBet
AG
Incredible. Great wrap up of what I presume to be that Dresden arc.

I'm dying to know who Mab used to be. Based on a few snippets here and there, it seems like she could be Morgana Pendragon
Diggity
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

I thought Clash of Kings was a long book…then I picked up Storm of Swords…they're so, so good though.

My watch continues…Winter is coming.

Read in 2024:

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Fairy Tale - Stephen King
The Shining - SK
A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara
Game of Thrones - GRRM
A Clash of Kings - GRRM

Up next:
A Storm of Swords - GRRM
Finally got around to reading Fairy Tale because of recommendations on this thread.

One of the most enjoyable SK books I've read in a while. It's amazing what he can do when he decides to keep politics out of things.
13B
YouBet said:

Incredible. Great wrap up of what I presume to be that Dresden arc.

I'm dying to know who Mab used to be.
Hmm! I hadn't thought of that. Intrigued by how his relationships with the Winter Lady and the Leader of the House of Raith will progress/develop.
YouBet
AG

I would call this book a historical survey course in Stoicism and an entry point to this topic, if it interests you. The book itself is ok and has some interesting historical value to it, if you know nothing about Stoicism. I randomly saw this book at the book store and picked it up because I had just read Admiral James Stockdale's paper "Master of My Fate" in which he described how his life philosophy steeped in Stocism gave him the strength and conviction to survive his 8 years in captivity as a Vietnam POW. He adopted this philosophy after reading Epictetus's Enchiridion. Highly recommend reading that and is free on the web. Incredible man.

I'm adding Enchiridon as well as Marcus Aurelius's Meditations to my reading list.

Completed YTD:

Supernova in the East IV

Currently Reading:
Eliminatus
AG
By pure coincidence I ordered Meditations this morning. Just a wild hair out of nowhere that was like yup, let's read the OG stoicism book. I have never dabbled in that topic nor thought of it much in my life.
Agristotle
AG
Bill Clinton's favorite book!
Great book.
YouBet
AG
Eliminatus said:

By pure coincidence I ordered Meditations this morning. Just a wild hair out of nowhere that was like yup, let's read the OG stoicism book. I have never dabbled in that topic nor thought of it much in my life.

And I was literally (5 minutes ago) explaining what Warhammer 40K is to my wife because I just purchased The Eisenhorn Omnibus and I was considering making that my next read after finishing The Lives of the Stoics today. It would be my first dive into Warhammer.

Aren't you the self-proclaimed Warhammer expert resident?
The Marksman
AG
Warlord(Saxon Stories Book 13) by Bernard Cornwell. Finished this series. This is the best historical fiction I've ever read and I highly recommend it to anyone who might be interested.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.