Any '70, '71, '72 or '73 Aggies remember this baseball story.

1,391 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by BoerneGator
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spring of 1970 and t.u. is coming to town for a game in the old Kyle Field cow pasture. That's where the A lot is today, and we get a rain that equaled or exceed the one yesterday. Many of the details lost in the mists of time, but for some reason, it was very important that the game gets played. It was thought there was no way the field would be in shape, but we're Texas Aggies. The fish and some other "volunteers" showed up with towels and sponges and got the field okayed for the game.

As always, I'm open for additions, deletions, and corrections.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
72 colo ag
AG
I am brain dead on that one
Mark Fairchild
AG
Class of '70 here, and like 72 cold ag got nutin'???
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
SA-AG72
AG
72 colo ag said:

I am brain dead on that one

Me too. I do remember Bob Long blasting home runs off Kyle Field. Good times.
Rongagin71
AG
I did not participate, but do remember hearing about it.
I think there was a report in The Batt.

As far as Bob Long memories - I did see him throw out more than one runner.
He had great speed to get to balls, then a great arm to throw out runners.
It happened so often that other teams quit trying to ever run on the Aggie CF.
45-70Ag
AG
I wasn't born until 1980 so no memory obviously but tried looking things up on the game and couldn't find much.

Did see a nice article on Tom chandler, he was an incredible guy and coach. Also, saw the roster for that team and never realized Dave elmendorf played baseball.
trouble
AG
He was an All-American and chosen by the Yankees in the draft. He decided to play pro football instead.
McInnis
AG
45-70Ag said:

I wasn't born until 1980 so no memory obviously but tried looking things up on the game and couldn't find much.

Did see a nice article on Tom chandler, he was an incredible guy and coach. Also, saw the roster for that team and never realized Dave elmendorf played baseball.

It was mentioned on a broadcast earlier this year that he was the first Aggie to ever hit three home runs in a game.
Cen-Tex
AG
45-70Ag said:

He was notorious for stealing home plate
LesterHaze

I remember as a small child, going to watch Doug Rau vs Bert Hooten on campus. Would that have been the series the OP is referring to?
BoerneGator
AG
LesterHaze said:

I remember as a small child, going to watch Doug Rau vs Bert Hooten on campus. Would that have been the series the OP is referring to?
Yes it would!

And Elmo was an AA in both baseball and football. And graduated with a 4.0 in Economics! Think he started in LF as a freshman, but our own Mickey Mantle here would need to confirm that. It's been 56 years since then. '
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.