Home Improvement
Sponsored by

micro air soft start

1,121 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TXAG 05
RoyVal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
well with the storms and power outages yesterday, and talking to a guy about running his AC on a portable generator, I thought this would be a good time to share my experience with a Microair soft start. I installed one of these a few years ago on my 4 ton AC.

It took my start up amps from 125 down to 32. Amazing little box. Just thought I'd share if anybody is looking into generators today because you lost power yesterday.

SharkinAg
AG
Cost and install difficulty?
TXAG 05
AG
Interested in this as well.
RoyVal
AG
here is where I bought mine. Their customer service is really good and the installation guide made it a breeze to install.

https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-368-6-ton-soft-start-motor-starter-for-115-and-230v-ac-motors
YZ250
I installed mine several years ago as well. I have the same meter too. It dropped my starting current down to 24-26 amps for a 4 ton unit. Can't remember the cost. Maybe around $300 back then.
bam02
AG
Are there any benefits to this besides potentially using a generator?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Supposedly makes cycling easier on the rest of the equipment, increasing longevity even when not using a generator
TXAG 05
AG
YZ250 said:

I installed mine several years ago as well. I have the same meter too. It dropped my starting current down to 24-26 amps for a 4 ton unit. Can't remember the cost. Maybe around $300 back then.

My unit is a 4 ton, what size generator are your running. Mine is 9000 starting/7250 running. Quick math says getting the A/C starting amps to 26-30, that would be big enough to run it.
YZ250
9500 run 12500 start

I think you should be good. Once running my ac draws 13 amps. If you're using a 30 amp connection you won't be able to run anything else.
TXAG 05
AG
Good to hear. Mine is 50 amp. Just didn't want to order and install the thing and still not be able to run the A/C
YZ250
For the install I bought an enclosure for it and mounted it on the side of the house near the AC. I wanted a little more protection. There are four wires you have to connect. I had to extend the length of them.
V8Aggie
AG
Dropped from 109 to 35 here.
TXAG 05
AG
Wired mine up this morning, went from 109 down to 29.8 starting amps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.