Home Improvement
Sponsored by

HVAC Hard Start Relay Noisy ... Normal?

535 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Jason_InfinityRoofer
Jason_InfinityRoofer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Friday, the AC decided to stop running. I had a compressor capacitor laying around in the shop, and it tested OK, so I swapped out the one in the outdoor unit which tested bad. Specs matched. The unit fired right up, however, the hard start kit relay, attached to its own capacitor, was very clicky and noisy. So, I ordered another one of those and tossed it in last night at midnight. The new one is a lot quieter, but it is clearly continuously clicking when the unit is running. It sounds like cards being shuffled.

I shut the unit down because I don't know if that's right.

Is this normal? I never noticed it before, but you can't hear it much when the enclosure is on. The AC tech isnt available until tomorrow, which is fine, but I'd like to get it up and running.

Do hard start kit relays continuously 'click'?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
IMO, if the clicking is coming from the actual relay, probably not normal. It should run on the starting circuit until it's up and running then change states. That said, the clicking could be from other components? Hard to say without being in front of the unit.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Found the problem.

There was a high voltage wire that was not 'crimped' well enough so it wasn't tight on the capacitor. It actually lifted off a little and I didn't notice until it arced. I shut it all down and then crimped it tighter so it fit tight on the terminal. Everything seems to function fine now. Thanks for the help!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.