Career Grand Slam

1,960 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by AgLA06
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The list includes Sarazen, Hogan, Player, Jack and Tiger.

- Rory needs The Masters
- Spieth needs the PGA
- Phil needs the US Open
- Rahm needs the PGA & Open
- DJ needs the PGA & Open
- Koepka needs The Masters & Open
- Morikawa needs The Masters & US Open

Who will be next?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Spieth
AggieDruggist89
AG
Rahm
98Ag99Grad
AG
I think when the PGA moves to Frisco Speith wins it there.
Deluxe
AG
I'll play. In order of likelihood:

1) Rahm (Open/PGA) - I'll be surprised if he doesn't. He's the alpha of this generation.
2) Spieth (PGA) - Maybe not at Oak Hill but I think eventually he finishes the slam.
3) Brooks (Masters/British) - If he can stay healthy and put his all into another 5-7 years worth of majors, I think he gets it done too. All rides on his health.
4) Rory (Masters) - He's going to have quite a few more cracks at it and I'm rooting for him. I'm having a harder and harder time seeing it though. He has full understanding of what it would mean for his legacy and that pressure is part of the problem.
5) Morikawa (Masters/US Open) - I don't see him winning at Augusta but you never know.
6) Phil (US Open) - I wouldn't be surprised to see him loiter around the leaderboard at LACC but don't see him winning it. His commitment to fitness might buy him a few more chances though. Pinehurst 2024... 25 year anniversary of Payne... Just saying.
7) DJ (Open/PGA) - If he had won that 2011 Open and only needed the PGA, I'd feel much differently. I just don't see him getting both at this stage. Very interested to see how he plays the rest of the summer.
_lefraud_
AG
DJ would likely have a PGA if some guy didn't call in (however one does that) during the 2010 at Whistling Straits.
lazuras_dc
AG
Deluxe said:

5) Morikawa (Masters/US Open) - I don't see him winning at Augusta but you never know.

I think you forget he's 26 and he's made the cut in every masters he's played in. He has a top5 and two top 10's. I think he'll be knocking on the door every year he's in form and one of those years he'll pull it out.
Deluxe
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Deluxe said:

I think you forget he's 26 and he's made the cut in every masters he's played in. He has a top5 and two top 10's. I think he'll be knocking on the door every year he's in form and one of those years he'll pull it out.
I did not forget that.

He's an elite ball-striker and will give himself some chances to win. Lots of elite ball-strikers have contended for many years at Augusta but not won. My bet is no, but I obviously won't be shocked if he does.
Quinn
AG
_lefraud_ said:

The list includes Sarazen, Hogan, Player, Jack and Tiger.

- Rory needs The Masters Not happening. He might be my favorite golfer, but he ain't winning the Masters. In fact, I don't think he wins another major.
- Spieth needs the PGA Sure, this could definitely happen, but if I had to bet, I would say no.
- Phil needs the US Open Nah. He only has a few more shots at it and I don't think he will win it.
- Rahm needs the PGA & Open I'll agree with those that said they would be surprised if this didn't happen.
- DJ needs the PGA & Open Don't see it at this point.
- Koepka needs The Masters & Open It's certainly possible, he can be a menace in Majors, but he has forgotten how to close one out (2019 - 2021 PGAs, 2019 & 2022 Masters)
- Morikawa needs The Masters & US Open Certainly possible. He has a long career ahead of him.

Who will be next?
tommyjohn
Problem with Brooks and DJ is LIV.

How many more guaranteed starts do they have at the ones they haven't won?

I saw 2024 is Brooks last Masters based on his major previous win exemptions
mike_ags_fan12
Nowhere close to a slam, but JT is going to win at Valhalla next year for his 3rd PGA
Bobaloo
My money would be on Rahm. Sooo impressive last week. Consistently drilling clutch putts on demand.
_lefraud_
AG
Jordan (quietly) with another opportunity this week.

While I'd root for him to get it done come Sunday, I just don't see him winning this week.
The Milkman
AG
Quietly is an understatement. Outside the top 20 in OWGR now for first time in 3 years, missed the cut at the super easy field for Byron Nelson, really bad at Harbor Town, which is a place he would theoretically compete since it takes driving out of the picture more than most events.
Deluxe
AG
Scheffler only needs the US Open, PGA and British. That might be the best bet at this point.
Unemployed
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

Nowhere close to a slam, but JT is going to win at Valhalla next year for his 3rd PGA
Wonder how you feel about him now?
AgLA06
AG
Deluxe said:

Scheffler only needs the US Open, PGA and British. That might be the best bet at this point.
I was looking this up as you posted as it felt like he's got a couple majors. And technically he does.

2 Masters wins
2 Players Championship wins

So 3 still to go which seems crazy, but probably just as likely if not more than most on the list.
AgLA06
AG
If I had to put money, it would probably be on Rahm, Brooks, and Scotty.

The rest have the ability, but would need to get lucky as they don't seem to have the mental side / killer mentality for the pressure. Looking at you JT and Speith at the top of that list.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.