Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Recourse for real estate property?

1,336 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Red Pear Realty
12atm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here is the situation:

My father was supposed to inherit .025 acres of land by his birth father. The uncle kept paying property taxes and never notified my father of the inheritance and will.

The uncle gives the city the deed for land in 2013.

The city sells the property to new owners and they have paid taxes on it. The city gave a warranty deed for the property.

Land is now being sold; the title company reached out to my father's estate because they discovered he was supposed to be the owner of the property back around 2000.

My father is deceased; passed away last November from pancreatic cancer just 3 weeks after diagnosis at age of 64.

Do we have any recourse or should we just sign over the property?

It seems the city never researched the property deed.

a07nathanb
AG
Do you want the property?
flashplayer
AG
Are we really talking about less than a tenth of an acre?

Or did you mean to type 0.25 as in a quarter acre?

Either way there's no way this is a substantial amount of money unless we are talking downtown major metropolitan area.
Mas89
AG
The city can't sell what they don't own and someone will have to pay your Dads heirs for the property. If the city got title insurance, it's on the title company. If they didn't, then it's on the city.
Just don't sign anything unless you are getting paid a fair amount.
CS78
The title company would not have contacted you if you didn't have a legal interest in the property. No reason you shouldn't be paid for what was supposed to be yours. The fact that others have paid taxes on it is irrelevant. That's unless they try to go after adverse possession which is a possibility in your situation. Only question is how much is it worth and does that value justify you hiring a lawyer? How much value are we talking?

12atm
Thanks; I don't have an interest in the property.

The monies would go to an estate and divided 5 ways. I didn't think it was worth it either.

Thank you all.
CS78
12atm said:

Thanks; I don't have an interest in the property.

The monies would go to an estate and divided 5 ways. I didn't think it was worth it either.

Thank you all.

At the absolute least, yall need to ask for a portion of the sales price in exchange for signing away ownership. Id ask for a minimum of 50%. Do not sign it for free.
TxAg20
AG
Mas89 said:

The city can't sell what they don't own

I wouldn't be too sure of this. Municipalities and gov't entities play by a different set of rules than the common man.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Depending on how long the uncle paid taxes on it and openly behaved as if it were his, in Texas, he might legally be the owner. You need an attorney if you want to fight it. If it's 0.025 acres in downtown Houston, that fight might be worth it to fight. But probably not.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.