Durango, CO alternatives?

2,722 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by 94chem
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've been to Durango/Silverton/Ouray for the past ~6-7 years. We love the mountains, hiking, and 4x4 trails, but we're to the point of wanting to explore somewhere else. Looking to stay in CO most likely, but willing to listen to other options depending on drive time, etc. We've done Moab, too, and enjoyed it but I think we're looking more for the sub-alpine zone with trees and such.

What do y'all think?

Two adults and a 2.5 y/o baby.
Driving from DFW
July 4th week +/- a few days
AirBnB or similar
lazuras_dc
AG
Hard to beat the creede/Pagosa area IMO
CanyonAg77
AG
Last I was in Pagosa, the traffic was awful. And man, driving to Durango from DFW, what a beating.

Red River NM is sort of redneck Aspen. Chana NM has some nice places, their train is fun, too. Cuchara in SE Colorado is small, but pretty. Lots of stuff around Colorado Springs. Did you ever go north from Durango? Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway, Black Canyon of the Gunnison?

Maybe Santa Fe area? Lots of history up the mountain at Los Alamos, and Valles Caldera is amazing

Unfortunately, anything around the 4th is going to be crowded. Maybe consider flying into Denver and head into the mountains from there?
Bachelor99
AG
sounds like telluride or crested butte is where you want to be!
DeepintheHeart06
AG
Steamboat has some similarities to Durango. There are a lot of great things for kids, although your little one is probably still a little young.
LRHF
AG
Bachelor99 said:

sounds like telluride or crested butte is where you want to be!

CB is a fun town for sure!
JustPanda
AG
There no current access to CB from Montrose on 50 so be prepared to take a 300+ mile detour.
JustPanda
AG
I'd go to Alma. Small town, no tourists, high alpine, and close enough to Hoosier Pass to hope into Breck if you so please or 45 minutes from BV for rafting the Arkansas. If you're driving you can take 24 through Manitou / Pikes Peak or if you go south on 50 you can do Royal Gorge train tour. For off river activities from Alma, you have Antero Res, Lake Dillon, Spinney Mountain, and Eleven Mile lakes all within 30 minutes.

Take a locals advice and thank me later
txags92
AG
Oleo Ranch between Lake City and Creede is a cool place to get away from the crowds and "rough it". Cabins with no power, no tv, no cell service, etc. But with gas powered lights, stove/oven, refrigerator, water heater. All the comforts you need with none of the stuff you are trying to get away from. Trout stream runs through the property and they have several stocked ponds to fish in also.
FightinTAC08
AG
red river NM. drive is much better than Durango from DFW. kind of feels like a bigger Ouray to me. town is basically one main drag, brewery with good views, great hiking and 4x4 trails in the area.

https://red-river.s3.amazonaws.com/images/OHV-MOtorcycle-Trails-FLyer_2022.pdf?v=1686766593
stock f150 4x4 can do all of these trails in summer except for goose lake - and even then I've heard that one can be done.
CanyonAg77
AG
Oleo Ranch? Obviously one of the cheaper spreads. *

* Have to be old to get the joke

Do you have a link, it sounds like a place we used to stay near Citadel, CO when I was a kid

We also visited at a place, no longer open, that was halfway between Gunnison and Sawaustch (sp). Was called Banana Sports Ranch. Owner was asked why he bought the place in the middle of nowhere, his reply was he was going to grow bananas

Primitive log cabins, wood burning stoves, one electric light per cabin, powered by a small hydroelectric plant. I loved it
txags92
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Oleo Ranch? Obviously one of the cheaper spreads. *

* Have to be old to get the joke

Do you have a link, it sounds like a place we used to stay near Citadel, CO when I was a kid

We also visited at a place, no longer open, that was halfway between Gunnison and Sawaustch (sp). Was called Banana Sports Ranch. Owner was asked why he bought the place in the middle of nowhere, his reply was he was going to grow bananas

Primitive log cabins, wood burning stoves, one electric light per cabin, powered by a small hydroelectric plant. I loved it
I can't believe it is not...

Oleoranch.com is the website, but it isn't going beyond their intro page for me. Their AirBnB listings for the cabins can be found here: Host profile - Airbnb The place is about 1 mile east of Slumgullion Pass and is at around 10,500ft IIRC. So it is an easy place for flatlanders to relax, because there is too little oxygen to do too much.
CanyonAg77
AG
Doesn't look right. But then,it's been 40 years. Will ask mom next time I see her

But that reminds me, OP, have you been to Lake City? Pretty popular place
knoxtom
JustPanda said:

I'd go to Alma. Small town, no tourists, high alpine, and close enough to Hoosier Pass to hope into Breck if you so please or 45 minutes from BV for rafting the Arkansas. If you're driving you can take 24 through Manitou / Pikes Peak or if you go south on 50 you can do Royal Gorge train tour. For off river activities from Alma, you have Antero Res, Lake Dillon, Spinney Mountain, and Eleven Mile lakes all within 30 minutes.

Take a locals advice and thank me later

I always like your recommendations, etc., but this one is awful. There is nothing in Alma except three weed stores, a cop car with a fake cop in it, and a food truck. It is 10500 elevation so he will have a 75% chance of getting sick. How can you recommend going to Alma then follow it up with every activity being NOT in Alma?

For a family vacation that is to a new place I recommend Salida/Buena Vista, Minturn, or Avon. There is also a LOT to do in Colorado Springs and Golden.

Just to give a full opinion... Durango is hard to beat. It is a long drive from TX but there is a LOT to do.
JustPanda
AG
Exactly. No tourists and lots of nature.
Drip99
AG
We do Keystone every summer. Like breck without the crowds, 9500' so never gets hot, great hike/bike path thru town right along the river, easy access for day trips to breck, frisco, vail, A basin, etc., lake dillon access for kayaking and cool off road access thru Montezuma if you have a 4x4.
knoxtom
JustPanda said:

Exactly. No tourists and lots of nature.

No tourists because there is nothing there. You ain't climbing Mt Bross with a 2 year old.

If by "nature" you mean an environmental scar river rock quarry and a open air sewage plant on the side of the main road, then I guess there is "nature." I mean human feces are natural, right? Going to Alma for beautiful Colorado nature is like going to Beaumont for beautiful ocean views.

Sure it is close to Breck, but why not just stay in Breck? Sure it is 1.5 hours from Salida, but why not just go to Salida?

Sorry JP, but I think on their vacations most people want more than 3 weed stores and one food truck. Alma is one of the very last places I would send someone visiting Colorado, right above Alamosa and right below Trinidad.

10andBOUNCE
AG
LOL

Yeah, I have driven from COS to Breck many times and would never think to stay in Alma. We stayed in Blue River once and it was OK. I would consider that if I am wanting to hangout in Breck a bunch.

I am kind of biased since we lived there but with a young child, taking a day or two in Colorado Springs makes some sense coming from DFW. The drive is pretty painless, although mindless. Then head out to one of Salida, CB, Summit Co, Golden or wherever for a few days after you have acclimated to some elevation.
LRHF
AG
I live in Durango and we've spent the last week around Dolores/ Cortez and loving it! This really only applies if you love MTB!
turfman80
AG
Crested Butte should still be accessible coming from the east (DFW) as the closure is west of Gunnison.
oldarmy76
I think pagosa springs or Buena Vista is the answer here.
CBarrett12
AG
Creede/Pagosa springs always come up but rarely SouthFork….? Makes no sense…small, access to any outdoor activity you want. Food/beer options. This place has it all. Check it out.
knoxtom
LRHF said:

I live in Durango and we've spent the last week around Dolores/ Cortez and loving it! This really only applies if you love MTB!

Phils world perhaps?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Gunnison/Almont/Crested Butte. All connected with the same road, an hour/45 mins from CB to Gunnison and Almont in between.

I've spent many summers up there on 4x4 trails, camping, rafting, drinking craft brews.

All different types of accommodations but can access the same areas easily.

Gunnison is a small CO town that isn't exactly "tourist mountain town" but has all sorts of things for a jump off point. Raft the black canyon, fish the river/lake, etc.

Almont is a small hovel with cabins on the river. Lots of fishing going on here and sits right at the intersection of the road that goes up to Taylor Park and reservoir. If you like 4x4 in Ouray, you will LOVE Taylor Park.

Crested Butte is your mountain ski town but nothing near the size of Breck, Durango, Vail, etc. tons of 4x4 trails here too. If you're up for it, take crystal river road down into devils punch bowl and then go see the crystal river mill (one of the most photographed places in CO).

LRHF
AG
knoxtom said:

LRHF said:

Phils world perhaps?

Phils world (3 different parking lots), Boggy Draw NW of Dolores in the forest , Sand Canyon and Aqua Duct (new flow trail). We just rode them all this week, back to fish guiding tomorrow
ChoppinDs40
AG
Found a better one from a different year

First 2 are road down into devils punchbowl (if you want to trust your 4x4 skills and rig).

Crystal River mill from eye level

Crow Valley
Walden and Encampment Wyoming would be my picks and if i wanted to live it up a little more then Cripple Creek Colorado. Lived in Northern Colorado 41 years and I enjoy the rural towns rather than the tourist towns. Buddies of mine who come to visit are in awe of the Walden area and the true Old Colorado lifestyle.
knoxtom
ChoppinDs40 said:

Gunnison/Almont/Crested Butte. All connected with the same road, an hour/45 mins from CB to Gunnison and Almont in between.

I've spent many summers up there on 4x4 trails, camping, rafting, drinking craft brews.

All different types of accommodations but can access the same areas easily.

Gunnison is a small CO town that isn't exactly "tourist mountain town" but has all sorts of things for a jump off point. Raft the black canyon, fish the river/lake, etc.

Almont is a small hovel with cabins on the river. Lots of fishing going on here and sits right at the intersection of the road that goes up to Taylor Park and reservoir. If you like 4x4 in Ouray, you will LOVE Taylor Park.

Crested Butte is your mountain ski town but nothing near the size of Breck, Durango, Vail, etc. tons of 4x4 trails here too. If you're up for it, take crystal river road down into devils punch bowl and then go see the crystal river mill (one of the most photographed places in CO).

I love CB and absolutely recommend it for what this guy is asking.

One thing though... you can't raft the black canyon, you raft the Gunny Gorge. The Black Canyon is Class 5 moves with the penalty of death, it has an 18footer that lands on rocks and breaks bones, and it has a mile long portage through poison ivy with stalks thicker than your arm. No one rafts it commercially and few have ever rafted it at all. I couldn't even imagine carrying a raft on that portage. It took hours and hours with a kayak.

Summer in CB is the most excellent-est place in the world. Drinking a beer out on that pizza place patio is just so great.
ChoppinDs40
AG
That's what I meant, the gorge. Not the canyon. But yeah

Also, coming from DFW area, it's drivable in a day.

To the OP, as we highly recommend the CB/Gunny area, I do NOT suggest taking 50 all the way from Pueblo to access this area. Monarch is one of the longest passes to drive and while the road on 50 through canon city and further is cool to see the Arkansas, it's a painstakingly tough drive since you're likely at hour 10 or so from DFW at that point.

Instead, take 160 from I25 at Walsenburg. Turn north at monte Vista and then take 114 west from Saguache over into Gunnison. Pretty desolate road through some high country ranch land but the Cocheetopah pass is way better than Monarch.

On the note of the Arkansas… if you want to break up the trip a bit, consider staying along the Arkansas/50 corridor on your way back and rafting the Arkansas River. Buena Vista is a cool town to stay in.
TexasAggie008
AG
There are pretty solid hot springs pools between BV and Salida - mtprinceton.com - if that's the part of the state you end up in. Can buy day passes, or even stay in the cabins on site.

Naveronski
AG
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Looks like Crested Butte/Gunnison and Lake City are the more popular recommendations; we're looking more into those areas.

Either way we'll likely break up the drive into two days. Previously we've taken I-20/40 through ABQ and it's a pretty **** drive through methy badlands of TX and NM - alternative is through Dalhart, Raton, into Trinidad (spending the night here), then taking 160 west like @ChoppinDd40 mentioned. It's such a better drive, and only mildly longer.

(As an aside, in October last year, we took 160 west to Alamosa, then north on 17 to 285, through Poncha Springs, then over Monarch Pass headed up to Grand Junction to pick up my wife, then to Moab. I was just in time to get Monarch's first blizzard of the year - so the road wasn't prepped. Thank goodness for good tires!)
Naveronski
AG
Monarch in October.

That RV couldn't get going after it stopped, the semi was partially blocking both lanes, and the Camaro driver was hopeless.

Didn't leave much room to maneuver, but just enough.
Naveronski
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Found a better one from a different year

First 2 are road down into devils punchbowl (if you want to trust your 4x4 skills and rig).

Crystal River mill from eye level

I've always wanted to see this place, and I'm not too worried about the truck on those roads.
ChoppinDs40
AG
The one down in is gnarly. Off camber. Jagged rocks. Steep. Fall to your death. It's one of the more deadly 4x4 trails in that area.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
The pic is from above so I think it flattens everything out quite a bit. Those rocks are bigger than they look, as is the grade. It's also narrow as **** in that part along the waterfall (biggest hinderance if you're in a full size pick up). At the start of the trail coming from CB there are few big rock steps that will serve as a good test on if you should continue. I went down it after doing Black Bear pass, engineer pass, and Imogene pass a day or two before and devil's punch bowl was by far the gnarliest and only one we said we wouldn't drive down again, unless we were in side by sides or something. Definitely worth a hike at least though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.