* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *

72,170 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by jeffk
Out in Left Field
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YNWA.2013
I hope Jota comes on. His untimely injury coincides with us sputtering to the finish line.
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
Who had Jarell Quansah scoring the last gol of the Jurgen Klopp era?

(I thought it was gonna be Nuñez)
-FTA c/o 2013
hoosierAG
AG
Salah just isn't the same.

Anyways, what a scene these last few minutes at Anfield
YNWA.2013
Big VvD crying
-FTA c/o 2013
Unemployed
AG
End of an era.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Mrs Henry is quite the looker. Amazing what a few billions dollars does.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Who's the guy between Kenny and John Henry?
Out in Left Field
AG
One last Klopp fist pump
jeffk
AG
In non-Klopp news, the new home jerseys looked less bad on-field than I thought they might. I won't wear one, but they weren't hideous.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jeffk said:

In non-Klopp news, the new home jerseys looked less bad on-field than I thought they might. I won't wear one, but they weren't hideous.

I didn't like them at all (although the training shirt some of them were wearing after the game was nice) but the collar's only redeeming character was that it is poppable. Not sure if it was intentional but Harvey's was up Cantona-style
jeffk
AG
Rewatching now and man, Mo had so many great chances. I wish he would have tucked one in today.
YNWA.2013
I noticed (and later saw it confirmed and discussed on Twitter) that during Klopp's "Guard of Honor", every single player and member of staff was applauding Klopp. Except one. Darwin Nunez. I think that coupled with his petulant deletion of Liverpool images from his social media (which he knew would get media attention) is signaling the end of his time at Liverpool. I don't think he wants to be at the club and a player like that can derail a season. I don't think that is how Liverpool, FSG, or Arne Slot want to start this new chapter. Depending on where you look and who you believe, we paid anywhere from 70-90M GBP in total, including add-ons, for him. Should we put him in the shop window and see what we could fetch for him? I'm thinking anything above 50M GBP would be accepted. He has loads of potential but his attitude leaves much to be desired.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, his body language was pretty bad during the locker room goodbye too. I know Klopp has always had his back publicly but there must be something else going on with him.

I like Darwin and hope he sticks around, but if he's got a poor attitude about the team, then he probably needs to move on. That crap can ruin things for a new manager.
eiggA2002
AG
He was drinking and dancing and hugging Klopp at the after party last night. Nothing to see here. It doesn't matter what Klopp thinks any more. It's all up to how Slot sees him and wants to use him. Darwin will be one of the first ones he sits down with. IMHO he isn't going anywhere and FSG is not taking a big loss on a player after two seasons. 18 G 13 A in all comps this season and a goal contribution every 97 minutes. That's a big hole to fill.
jeffk
AG
Darwin just needs alcohol. Got it.
Crispin Torque
Paul Joyce reported today that Arne Slot has been tasked with developing Darwin as one of his primary initial challenges. Darwin is definitely an analytics darling so Im sure Edwards sees a lot of untapped value there. Opta has him ranked as one of the top 2 or 3 players in the entire league.
YNWA.2013
Can he teach Darwin "Only Scores Bangers" Nuñez how to score from inside the box and finish the easy chances?

That is the difference between Salah/Firmino/Mane vs Salah/Nuñez/Diaz. The former were ruthless in front of goal and finished so many chances. The latter create a lot of chances but just cannot put them away on a consistent basis
ChipFTAC01
AG
Curtis, Gomez and Trent all in the Pre Euro England camp
YNWA.2013
Elliott > Jones
ChipFTAC01
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

Elliott > Jones

I'd have brought Elliott iver Adam Wharton but I might be biased. Also wouldn't mind the kid having some time off.
eiggA2002
AG
Quansah as well.
YNWA.2013
Quansah > Maguire
ChipFTAC01
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

Quansah > Maguire

Have you met Southgate?

I didn't notice earlier, but Rashford was left out.
YNWA.2013
He has got to be the most frustrating international manager. There is sooo much talent at his disposal, but he is so afraid of losing that he sets his team up in the most conservative way possible. Wouldn't surprise me if he was extra moronic and played a 5-2-2-1 formation when he should probably play a 4-1-2-3. They have an easy path to the semifinals (if they win their group, they'll play a 3rd placed team and meet the winner of a runner-up v runner-up matchup in the QF.)
OregonAggie
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

He has got to be the most frustrating international manager. There is sooo much talent at his disposal, but he is so afraid of losing that he sets his team up in the most conservative way possible. Wouldn't surprise me if he was extra moronic and played a 5-2-2-1 formation when he should probably play a 4-1-2-3. They have an easy path to the semifinals (if they win their group, they'll play a 3rd placed team and meet the winner of a runner-up v runner-up matchup in the QF.)

I feel like damn near every English manager is Uber conservative. Someone needs to unlock the talent and athleticism of that squad because they can absolutely win a World Cup or the Euros.

Prisoner of the moment here, but imagine if a guy like Klopp was coaching that side.
jeffk
AG
I'll get a new season thread up today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.