Texas History - Downtown San Antonio??

1,215 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by p_bubel
clinte234
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you had a day to kill in downtown SA…where would you spend your time after the Alamo? Prefer walking as much as possible, but have a vehicle if needed. Thanks!
Slicer97
AG
Buckhorn Saloon
p_bubel
Grab a beer at the Menger Bar.
Spanish Governors Palace.
Casa Navarro State Historic Site
La Villita (under construction) Cos House is on site.
Market Square (mostly touristy trinkets)
Catch the light show at San Fernando once dark. Check for times. (the southeast corner of the plaza once stood the Council House)
Briscoe Western Art Museum
Hop on a rental bike and ride the river greenway to Mission San Jose (or drive)
Honestly, just stroll the Riverwalk. There's a lot of interesting markers along the way.
Take a walking tour of King William. You can walk down there along the Riverwalk (save for one or two blocks)
Walk along the Riverwalk north to The Pearl and on the way stop by VFW Post 76 (oldest in Texas) and grab a cheap beer to-go. (There's also a small bat colony under the interstate during the summer with the typical emergence at dusk) Ocho at the Hotel Havana is along the way too, with decent drinks in the glass conservatory
Dinner/Drinks at The Esquire.

Yes, I like to drink.
BQ78
AG
The cypress tree on the river bend by La Vallita is supposedly is the sniper's nest for the Mexican soldier who shot Old Ben Milam, the sole death in the Texian's attack on San Antonio in 1835.
Cen-Tex
AG
Reserve an guided After Hours Tour of the Alamo
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

The cypress tree on the river bend by La Vallita is supposedly is the sniper's nest for the Mexican soldier who shot Old Ben Milam, the sole death in the Texian's attack on San Antonio in 1835.
Ben Milam Statue. Cameron, Texas
aalan94
AG
Also, if you do have a car, check out the other missions. They are outstanding.

Actually, there is a bike route that you can do that takes you to all of them. It's a long trip, maybe a whole afternoon, but if you like to bike, you can do that and history too.
clinte234
AG
Thank y'all…these are great!
dead zip 01
AG
While you're at the plaza/cathedral go to the Southeast corner of the plaza and see the marker for the Council House fight.

It often gets overshadowed in downtown because of the Alamo, etc. but it's one of the more interesting parts of San Antonio history I think.
An hours long battle with Comanches that took place right in downtown with Comanches barricading themselves inside buildings is a fascinating story to me.

Also,
Head over to Oddfellows Cemetery to see the graves of Texas Ranger Captains Samuel Walker and Ad Gillespie. Both killed in the Mexican War after they had made names for themselves fighting Comanches with Jack Hays. They are buried next to each other.

Between their graves some of the ashes of the Alamo defenders were buried and given a marker of their own in the 1850's I believe when they were unearthed.

Coordinates are 29.421299956164074, -98.46970280934231
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
This is a great thread. Some of these I have been to, others I have not.
#FJB
Deerdude
For sure stop for a drink and donation at Moses Roses Hideout near Alamo, to support his fight .
TheSheik
AG
Things have changed a good bit - Rock Star Phil Collins has an extensive collection of Alamo stuff - looks like most of it is now in an annex behind the Chapel -find the room size scale model and audio program that's worth seeing on its own - as well as one of Crocketts guns and one of Bowles knives
bobbranco
AG
Deerdude said:

For sure stop for a drink and donation at Moses Roses Hideout near Alamo, to support his fight .
I think the bar is closed.
p_bubel
Yeah, that dump is closed and he took the money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.