Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

How to Stop Nightly Bathroom Trips?

1,452 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Iowaggie
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After taking bladder reduction pills, I still get up 3-4 times a night.

Any suggestions on how to reduce these trips appreciated!
Captain Winky
Bladder reduction pills? Seems like that would make the issue worse.
Moral High Horse
Do you have any current medical conditions? Do you drink a lot of caffeine?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Moral High Horse said:

Do you have any current medical conditions? Do you drink a lot of caffeine?
No but do drink too much caffeine and wine. will cut down each.

Thanks for your reply.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Captain Winky said:

Bladder reduction pills? Seems like that would make the issue worse.
They are supposed to cut down on bathroom trips. Have to find the right one, I guess.
bigtruckguy3500
I'm assuming you're talking about Tamsulosin (Flomax). It can help, but could also cause your blood pressure to be low and make you at risk for a fall.

Talk to a urologist. You may benefit from a procedure called a TURP, where they basically widen the urethra by reducing the size of the prostate from the inside. Otherwise, have to try just drinking less as the day goes on and avoiding anything that causes you to urinate more.
Philip J Fry
AG
Sleep apnea? This was what caused me to get up almost every hour for 6 months of miserable sleep.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I ran into this last year and the following made a big difference.

-no fluids starting 2 hours before bed
-magnesium l-threonate + apigenin supplements after dinner

I went from 3-4 times a night to maybe once. Sleep quality improved as well. I have no diagnosed medical conditions that I can point to for why it was happening.
txam92
AG
I had the same issues. Checked Sleep Apnea and a few other conditions with different doctors Even eliminated fluids at least 3 hours before bedtime. Went to a Urologist and they diagnosed me with something called Nocturia. Essentially my body produces more urine than normal so I was given a prescription to take before I go to bed to help cut it down. I still need to regulate my fluid intake but now sleep 6 or 7 hours without having to wake up to pee. Maybe you can get an appointment with a Urologist and see if they can figure out what's wrong.

If you go this route, you should do some prep work before going because it will save some time. You need to precisely track your liquid in and liquid out for 3 days straight. You need to make a log of what you drank, how much it was, and what time your drank it. The "fun" part is you also need to measure how much you pee every time you go and note the time and volume. If you have all this charted BEFORE you go to the doctor, you'll skip ahead to your treatment if you do have Nocturia. Otherwise, you'll have to track all this anyway and then make another appointment.

Please don't take my word for it and see a proper medical professional for a proper diagnosis.
Old Tom Morris
My dad dealt with this. He had the TURP procedure which didn't make much impact. He was also on tamulosin which helped some. Managing fluid intake before bedtime also helped.

He also put one of those motion activated blue night-light type devices in his toilet so that he could go without turning the bathroom light on - if you gave to get up, it at least can help with getting back to sleep.
aggiebrad94
AG
My BIL's doctor told him to not go to the bathroom every time he needs to go during the day. By distracting himself and waiting until he REALLY needs to go, you can train your bladder to hold more.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) is a common surgery that's used to treat urinary problems that are caused by an enlarged prostate.

I had this surgery in January and it has solved the issue of getting up to pee in the middle of the night.

I'm now sleeping 7-8 hours a night with no wake-up interruptions
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

I ran into this last year and the following made a big difference.

-no fluids starting 2 hours before bed
-magnesium l-threonate + apigenin supplements after dinner

I went from 3-4 times a night to maybe once. Sleep quality improved as well. I have no diagnosed medical conditions that I can point to for why it was happening.
One evening with fluid reuction reduced my trips to one! Will see tonight if that works.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
txam92 said:

I had the same issues. Checked Sleep Apnea and a few other conditions with different doctors Even eliminated fluids at least 3 hours before bedtime. Went to a Urologist and they diagnosed me with something called Nocturia. Essentially my body produces more urine than normal so I was given a prescription to take before I go to bed to help cut it down. I still need to regulate my fluid intake but now sleep 6 or 7 hours without having to wake up to pee. Maybe you can get an appointment with a Urologist and see if they can figure out what's wrong.

If you go this route, you should do some prep work before going because it will save some time. You need to precisely track your liquid in and liquid out for 3 days straight. You need to make a log of what you drank, how much it was, and what time your drank it. The "fun" part is you also need to measure how much you pee every time you go and note the time and volume. If you have all this charted BEFORE you go to the doctor, you'll skip ahead to your treatment if you do have Nocturia. Otherwise, you'll have to track all this anyway and then make another appointment.

Please don't take my word for it and see a proper medical professional for a proper diagnosis.
Good advice- Thanks!
Utopia61
Eat a handful of raisins before you go to bed. It works.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks to all for your help!

I'll report what works/
88Warrior
Philip J Fry said:

Sleep apnea? This was what caused me to get up almost every hour for 6 months of miserable sleep.

Same here…once I got my CPAP I went from getting up four times a night down to one at the most….
Iowaggie
AG
At my worst, 4-6 times a night, although 2-3 was more normal.
Now I'm at 0-1.

1. Greatly reduce any fluids after 4 pm. Hardly anything to drink or eat after 8 pm. Those nights when it was 5+ times a night it was due to drinking a lot of water through the evening after working outside, or just eating and drinking really late.

2. Stop any caffeine by 2pm.

3. Sleep in a different room from spouse. I'm a pretty light sleeper, so if she snores, snorts, turns, or pulls a cover, I can wake up. So usually I'll start in the same bed with her, get woken up by her. After using the bathroom and getting woken up, I fall asleep in another bedroom.

4. Trying to keep the room dark and cool, or wear a sleep mask and have fan blowing on me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.