Best way to clean oil spill on driveway

1,377 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by tlfw378
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is new oil, btw. Daughter let a 5qt jug of oil tip over and drain out on my driveway. I didn't notice it till the next morning. I don't have a very strong pressure washer, but that plus dish soap doing do much. It's still a darker color spot than the surrounding concrete.

Do I just need a stronger pressure washer? Other cleaning agent?
JP76
Best I have found

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Purple-Power-128-oz-1-Gal-Industrial-Strength-All-Purpose-Cleaner-and-Degreaser-Concentrate-100539322/308623047
Silvy
AG
Pour oil on the rest of the driveway
88Warrior
Spray it down with CRC Brakleen. Let it set for a while then hose it down.
FDXAg
AG
Thanks I'll try this
JamesPShelley
88Warrior said:

Spray it down with CRC Brakleen. Let it set for a while then hose it down.
That. The sun will take care of the rest.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not to go full Al Gore on this, but try not to use more chemicals than necessary. This stuff will go into the storm sewer and no treatment before released into the watershed.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I usually will use Kitteh litter, and then oil eater, and apply Eximo on top of the stain. And that usually takes good care of it.
crockerdan04
AG
I've tried a few things including the brake clean option. The best option I found was to make a dam of kitty litter downslope from the stain. Pour a little bit of plain gasoline on the oil and let it run to the kitty litter. Do this a couple of times a few minutes apart. Push the kitty litter on to the oil stain. Let sit 30 minutes so the gasoline evaporates. Sweep up oil soaked kitty litter. The oil stain is completely gone with no elbow grease required.
AggieMarine
AG
Gritt Oil Remover

https://a.co/d/4DC4zDM
Jack Boyett
AG
I've spilled lots of oil, leaked lots of oil in my garage, on the driveway and never really tried too hard to clean it. It seems like it just fades away over time.
TSW2012
AG
Propane torch just don't let it get to hot or concrete will pop
maroon barchetta
Got any Microblaze?
Bob_Ag
AG
Gasoline.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Got any Microblaze?

I think that's like eximo..
howdyags12!
AG
This product worked very well for me and removed a few oil stains on my driveway. Just shake it up and pour it directly over the stain (don't dilute with water) and let it sit for ~24 hrs and sweep the chalk white powder up and then rinse with water hose
TecRecAg
AG
Goof Off is the best I have found.
aTm2004
AG
When I've had oil spill or drip on my driveway, after wiping it up, I'd wet it and then pour some baking soda onto the stain, then use a push broom to scrub it really good. I'd do that a couple of times, then rinse, then pour some dish detergent on it and do the same. Didn't come out completely, but made it much less noticeable. The next time I would go power wash the driveway, it was pretty much gone after.
tlfw378
AG
I use dry laundry detergent. Sprinkle all over the spots and leave until a rain washes it up slowly. As the soap liquifies it will lift up the oil and carry away.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.