Houston
Sponsored by

Barge hits bridge that connects Galveston and Pelican Island

2,562 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Greendale 87
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw the AP news alert. That would have to be the bridge that goes to TAMUG, right?

Edit: it is. There's now a quote from the university.

https://apnews.com/article/6c112f0032ab88fbdd0c78d1957247c8

Quote:

The Galveston County Sheriff's Office told KTRK that a large piece of the bridge fell. Pictures broadcast by KTRK showed pieces of concrete on the barge.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Sea Speed sure has been quiet today. Just sayin
Texaggie7nine
Texaggie7nine
7nine
drumboy
AG
Shlt.....my daughter has her NSC there in 4 weeks, wonder how long it will be closed.

They did stress that any campus closure due to a storm (including the bridge which out for a year after Ike (maybe) ) will result in the relocation to CS and that there's dorm space on reserve for all students.
Furlock Bones
AG
NVM. it's in the article. lol
taxpreparer
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

He is busy on F16, about this topic.
El Gallo Blanco
We continue to decay and descend to 'second world' status. Our infrstructure over the next 50 years will be the stuff of nightmares. Esp given the upcoming population collapse and the dumbing down of pretty much everyone alive.
Sea Speed
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Sorry, I've been busy with your mom all day.
Sea Speed
AG
Last week Brown water reps met with the kinds of people you meet with for things like this and it was recommended that they have a standby boat to assist with arrivals and departures because of the issues with the currents the barges have been having and this recommendation was agreed upon. Fast forward ONE WEEK and this happens.

So the folks involved in the barge shipment knew this was a risk and did not mitigate the risk as they agreed and ONE WEEK LATER this happens. They are proper ****ed.

Womp womp.
Ciboag96
agnerd
AG
Pretty sure the "rail" part of the bridge hasn't been used in years and was already missing sections. I think this accident mostly just knocked another section into the water. I'd be surprised if the road bridge isn't reopened by the end of the day.

(just checked the news) It's already reopened.
drumboy
AG
agnerd said:

Pretty sure the "rail" part of the bridge hasn't been used in years and was already missing sections. I think this accident mostly just knocked another section into the water. I'd be surprised if the road bridge isn't reopened by the end of the day.

(just checked the news) It's already reopened.
That's good news. TAMUG canceled everything through the weekend telling folks to leave and warning them that they might not be able to get back to their dorms/apartments for a while.

Edit: Where are you seeing that it's reopened? All I see is that they're letting one car through at a time just getting off the island.
drumboy
AG
Martin Q. Blank
drumboy said:

Shlt.....my daughter has her NSC there in 4 weeks, wonder how long it will be closed.

They did stress that any campus closure due to a storm (including the bridge which out for a year after Ike (maybe) ) will result in the relocation to CS and that there's dorm space on reserve for all students.
oh good. I started getting worried reading your post.
drumboy
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

drumboy said:

oh good. I started getting worried reading your post.
I guess if she starts in CS she'll have a shorter drive for football games.

FYI, all TAMUG students w/ a sports pass get first day ticket pull.
Greendale 87
AG
They are in process of removing the barge from under the bridge right now. Once done, underwater inspection of the supports can be completed. Rumors seem to be damage perhaps not as bad as originally thought, and light vehicle traffic can be authorized. No sure answer on that though until the weekend.
Gilligan
AG
I was picking up some nice trout right around the corner from that bridge right before that happened.
Greendale 87
AG
Bridge back open last night for vehicle traffic onto and off island. Temp repairs done so it should be good for a while. 42k weight restriction - no idea how they plan on enforcing that…..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.