Houston
Sponsored by

Miles may be in trouble HISD related

16,743 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by agnerd
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A lot of the fixes are politically unpopular. Group students by ability instead of making teachers "differentiate" instruction. Separate troublemakers into separate classrooms so they don't interrupt the kids who want to learn. Those two steps would fix a lot of schools.
AgLiving06
This is what I think is the biggest challenge, and I'll be honest and say I don't think Miles is handling it well.

There's a lot of liberal failure to be undone (i.e. the low expectations placed on so many students).

I think if he had avoided touching some of the better rated schools in year one, people would have been more receptive. The liberals were always going to scream, but I think he's risking losing the mainstream as well that just wants their kids to get a good education.
Texan_Aggie
AG
BBRex said:

A lot of the fixes are politically unpopular. Group students by ability instead of making teachers "differentiate" instruction. Separate troublemakers into separate classrooms so they don't interrupt the kids who want to learn. Those two steps would fix a lot of schools.
I think part of his NES was to convert the libraries into room where students need more focused attention get it. Said differently, put the trouble makers and class clowns in the library and have the AP make sure they don't start fights or good off.
Cibalo
I was at a private event with my kids today and was approached by a woman wanting me to sign a petition to "stop the takeover of HISD"

I politely refused saying my kids are in private school and we are not zoned to HISD. She then went on to tell me we should all be concerned about what is happening in HISD and the lowering of educational standards.

She cited the removal of librians and something about a wrap-around program that supports the underprivileged with food and transportation and replacing it with 7 centers across Houston.

I told her I have not looked into any of this so I have no opinion on the matter and wished her good luck.
wessimo
AG
Nvm .

Miles bad.
agnerd
AG
https://www.chron.com/news/article/hisd-staar-tests-results-19498622.php

Looks like Miles's first year was very successful in terms of his numbers. This was achieved without any significant change to these kids' environment or parenting. He has managed to achieve consistent improvements across the board which is almost unheard of.

He got rid of some good teachers and principals in cush jobs that were making big bucks at the magnet schools and used that money to pay English teachers at crap schools. My personal opinions is that you should only get to have "luxury" magnet schools if you have taken care of your basic responsibilities and have kids at the crap schools at least passing. You shouldn't get to drive a Mercedes if you can't afford to put food on the table. Miles sold the Mercedes to buy food.

I hope this is a lesson for voters*. If we continue to neglect basic responsibilities, we don't get to have nice things or make our own decisions. Miles's numbers shows how poorly managed the district was before. Another year with improvements like this and he will be untouchable and nobody will be able to oppose him.

* and by voters, I'm generally referring to the demographic that doesn't read Texags

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.