HD 12 election

5,604 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Broncos
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't seem to find prior post about this. 3 way race for the Republican nomination (win). I can't figure out the Bius plan from this. "I'm for the teachers " seems vague ….. home school teachers, public school teachers, private school teachers? He seems to be establishing himself towards the middle and left of Republican voters in his district with the rest of the interview. Not really interested in a 3 time loser for the district.
12 is an interesting district. I would think population trends would be making the Huntsville/Brenham axis more important for election than the Brazos Co part of the district. Big shift from the last few elections….. probably speaks to the open seat.
Meet the Candidate: Ben Bius - Texas House District 12 https://www.kbtx.com/2024/02/08/meet-candidate-ben-bius-texas-house-district-12/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Quote:

Well two years ago I ran in this race against an incumbent and very narrowly lost.

https://ballotpedia.org/Ben_Bius
Kyle Kacal 9366
Ben Bius 6806

Kacal got 38% MORE votes than Bius. I don't know if I would call that "very narrow"....

EBrazosAg
AG
It was a more expensive race than it was close. Bius got to a runoff on the 3 way split. He's gonna be a 4x looser in a month or so. I predict a Wharton-Slocum runoff. Bius is just assuring that outcome.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bucketrunner
Nice man but not a good politician.
woodometer
AG
Bius is being backed by the governor and the school voucher lobby. Lots of money.
Bucketrunner
Hmmm. May have to vote for him
Doug Funny
I thought Abbott endorsed Trey Wharton early, before filing closed. Did that change?
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Doug Funny said:

I thought Abbott endorsed Trey Wharton early, before filing closed. Did that change?
Don't think so. Abbott endorsed Wharton as soon as filing OPENED since he was the first to file against the incumbent. When Kacal didn't file, and Bius and Slocum got in the race, Abbott never changed his endorsement.

But I always saw the endorsement more of a "Anyone but the guy who won't back my voucher program" rather than for Wharton.

And I think all 3 have said they would vote for some sort of school voucher program.
etj77845
Does anyone have additional information on these three guys.

Wharton, Insurance and School Board, TCU grad.
Slocum, O&G management positions and legacy Aggie
Bius, Well I didn't vote for him last time, I held my nose.

75AG
AG
And if you care about your public schools and public school teachers and students, this is a good reason to NOT vote for Bius. Plus he lives in Huntsville.
Tibbers
[This is not the General Board. -Staff]
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Texas Homeschool Coalition endorsed Trey Wharton.
EBrazosAg
AG
Scuttle butt is - Bius didn't want to run against Kacal again and encouraged Wharton run. Slocum found out about Kacal retirement and asked Bius for his endorsement- which tipped Bius to Kacal retirement he didn't know about. So then we end up where we are. Bius a firm no to me - don't need to vote for a 0-4 candidate. Torn on Wharton - more qualified with his school board experience and I like his positions - and Slocum - represents Brazos Co. District 12 going to be more Huntsville and Brenham centric going forward. Keeping Brazos Co resident in office as long as possible is certainly a reasonable motivation .
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I agree with much of what you said, but I want a true conservative. I do not know enough about Slocum, but I will be reading. I just want the most conservative rep we can run.
75AG
AG
Whomever you vote for, you will get an anti-public school, MAGA-based rep. There are no true conservatives running in HD 12. Just those who will kiss Trump's and Abbott's rings. And as a former Republican, that's a shame.
CS78
GrimesCoAg95 said:

I agree with much of what you said, but I want a true conservative. I do not know enough about Slocum, but I will be reading. I just want the most conservative rep we can run.
Who did you settle with on this? I trust my beliefs to be in line with yours.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I'm certainly not advocating for any one guy as I don't connect w any of them but does Ben Bius have any actual views or stances??

All he talks about is how much he loves Trump and will be his soldier on the ground for him and if he's not saying that he's just trashing his opponents without any substance of his own.

Dude does not seem sincere at all .
75AG
AG
In all honesty, to win a Republican primary one needs no platform. Just side with Trump - claim to be his disciple - and you're in. It's a shame we don't have ranked voting or a viable alternative candidate (or party), but here we are.
BCSWguru
so you'd rather vote for communists? sounds about right.
75AG
AG
Holy crap! Is a communist running in HD 12?
MonsterMash13
I see your line of logic, but I want to let everyone know to do their research, please.

John Harvey IS a legacy Aggie, and that's about where it ends. If you all remember, he ran for HD-14 last year and lost to incumbent John Rainey. All he is looking for is a way to make more money and gain contacts for his O&G career, and to make a name for himself. They are using RC's land so he can run while they still own a house in Pebble Creek.

Listen to the interviews of Slocum, Bias & Wharton. Do the research. It's so important to ensure we have the best representation for Aggieland, not simply a "legacy Aggie" with a familiar last name.
Bucketrunner
Bius is a good man but not a good politician. He's ill at ease in some of those situations. Don't know a lot about Wharton. Slocum just wants the contracts
ftaggie09
AG
Ben Bius cares about 1 thing and that is himself. He is a multi-time loser for Texas Seats and usually just throws mud at every other candidate instead of actually explaining what he represents.

He hasn't won before so I assume that is why he is changing his strategy to "Trump's Guy"
Hornbeck
Well, that's an automatic "no" for me then. I'm not voting for a "Trump Guy"…
cavscout96
AG
75AG said:

Whomever you vote for, you will get an anti-public school, MAGA-based rep. There are no true conservatives running in HD 12. Just those who will kiss Trump's and Abbott's rings. And as a former Republican, that's a shame.

Please define "true conservative."
75AG
AG
Fiscally responsible. Believes in the Constitution and rule of law. Does not try to overthrow our democracy with BS claims of a stolen election. Could go on, but you get point.
Bucketrunner
Tell me again what the other two have accomplished?
MarineBQ04
AG
They don't a house in Pebble Creek. They sold it.
Jimmy Conway
MarineBQ04 said:

They don't a house in Pebble Creek. They sold it.
Recently? CAD still shows them as owners.
EBrazosAg
AG
Owning property or selling it doesn't establish or affect district of residency for Texas state races.
spike427
AG
If you scroll down on the Brazos CAD page, you can see the transfer listed under ownership.
trouble
AG
You might need to change the year to 2024. It's still defaulting to 2023.
Jimmy Conway
Bringing this back up as we get closer to election day and see that Bius and Wharton have been going at it pretty hard on the radio.

Also, weird to me that Slocum didn't so much as put out a statement or FB message when he lost. IMO that's a bad look and tells me he was just in it for himself.

EBrazosAg
AG
They certainly are going after it. I could be surprised, but I'd never bet on a horse that lost its prior 6 races ….
angus55
I'm none of the above. Vouchers ain't going to solve the problems in schools. And I'm sick of seeing Abbott popping wheelies over his "property tax" BS. Especially after I got my appraisal this year.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.