Outdoors
Sponsored by

What to do with downed post oak trees?

2,018 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by aalan94
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Besides cut, chop, and cure tons of the best BBQ smoking wood around?

I have some big tall intact tree trunks that are solid fallen live trees 18-28 inches or more in diameter.. Does it have any lumber value? Or is it really best to start turning it into smoking wood? I don't see post oak milled very often.

I also have several fallen mature red juniper logs also, but I think those might become pole barn posts once I can harvest, stack, and debark them.

I'll have tons of firewood and smoker wood just from all the large limbs that came down. I'll have to use space in my barn to dry stack what I cut.
S.A. Aggie
AG
See if there are any sawyers around with a portable mill. Either split the wood with them or give it all just to clear the area up. II've not milled post oak so I don't know if it quarter saws well and shows good flecking.
Aggieranger
Call Hardwood Designs in College Station. They have a large mill and in some cases will pick it up from you. They make Post Oak Beams as well as true hardwood floors.

https://www.hardwooddesigns.net/luxury-hardwood-species
dahouse
AG
Where are you located?
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
MouthBQ98
AG
Paige tx.
Hehateme1
Post oak does make the best smoking wood IMO.
I'm kind of jelly of you
tmaggies
AG
Only way to smoke a brisket!
two1993ags
Heart wood is typically quite a bit darker than the sapwood. Yes it will show the ray cells pretty prominently if quarter sawn. Built a table out of it for my brother 25+ years ago. It's a white oak and will look similar to quarter sawn white oak, but will be striped with the darker heart wood.
aalan94
AG
I know where you're coming from. I had two beautiful red oaks die on my place. I have an empty barn, because we don't do square bales anymore, so I'm cutting the remainders into the best lengths and am going to save it for a building project. Not sure what. Maybe a cabin/guesthouse. It's a whole heck of a lot of beautiful wood that I don't want to see go to waste. I'm just cutting it with a chainsaw now and stocking it up to dry but once I get a plan and a design, I might try to rent a portable sawmill and cut for construction.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.