Outdoors
Sponsored by

Killing vines under a deck

1,003 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by oklaunion
SharkinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a deck with a pergola that has a large trumpet vine and a cross vine. I like the vines but I get these shoots that come up between the boards. Anyway to kill these without killing the main plant? Maybe something that only kills with foliage contact and doesn't travel to the roots?

S.A. Aggie
AG
Anyway you can put a roll of a weed barrier under it?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/VEVOR-6-ft-x-300-ft-Premium-Weed-Barrier-Fabric-Heavy-Duty-Weed-Barrier-Landscape-Fabric-ZZZP6X300YC3-2OZ1V0/319013350
Cen-Tex
AG
Weedeater perhaps? Not trying to be funny, but I don't know of any herbicide that will keep shoots from seeking sunlight without killing the rest of the plant.

Like SA Aggie said, weed barrier or maybe screen wire tacked on the underside…as long as its porous for water drainage.
robbio
I use Remedy on Oak sprouts
B-1 83
AG
Here's an organic solution that should work for you. Vinegar and orange oil will burn it back and only kill what it touches. You might avoid overspray on the deck since it might discolor
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Hat tip! That is an amazing plant you've got going there!
FJB
SharkinAg
AG
No way to do a weed barrier at this point. When the time comes to rebuild it, I will definitely put a barrier in. I've got agricultural vinegar but as you said B1, I don't want to damage the stain on the wood. And thanks for the plant compliments. We love them.
BigNastyNate
AG
That Crossvine doesn't care what you pour on it, it's never going away… ever.
Apache
AG
Quote:

The trumpet vine is the problem, and he should start trying to kill it now before it destroys his trellis.
Cross vine are much better behaved.
Hehateme1
Apache said:

Quote:

The trumpet vine is the problem, and he should start trying to kill it now before it destroys his trellis.
Cross vine are much better behaved.

Trumpet vines are nearly impossible to get rid of once establish. However on the bright side. once I had some trumpet vines I started seeing fireflies in my yard again and hummingbirds do seem to love them as well
oklaunion
AIM herbicide may be something to look at. It will burn down vegetation but I don't think it translocates.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.