Outdoors
Sponsored by

Insurance for roof replacement

859 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by theJonatron
BartInLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure what board to post this.

At midnight our policy transfers to Progressive. The roof is 20 years (composition) and definitely needs replacement as I was up there this week. Have 6 stains on ceiling spots.
I sprayed FlexSeal on but here's my question.
Being located just north of Houston obviously a 20 year old roof has endured hail damage. I'm ignorant on how that is assessed but I'm pretty sure an experienced roofer can tell.
So if an inspector comes by next week and noticed the interior and exterior damage, obviously it happened before tonight at midnight. We began noticing one spot a year ago but in the past 6 months we found 5 more. Yeah I shouldn't have put it off.
?? Will the former home insurance cover the damages? They do a depreciation model but the new insurance does replacement cost and ignores depreciation. I think I'm in a bind. Maybe I should keep two policies for awhile? Out of my knowledge field.

TIA
htxag09
AG
First, leaks don't necessarily mean hail damage.....

Second, with a roof that old I'd confirm what kind of policy you have. Seems more and more insurers are not going to full replacement cost policies with aging roofs.

Third, inspectors, roofers, adjusters, etc. have weather data showing them when and where there were hailstorms. If they go up there after the policy switches and can see you have recent hail damage and there was a hail storm a few months ago, it should be on who was insuring at that time. But, to that point, I also believe there is a window to make that claim. If the hail storm was over 12 months ago, not sure if either will cover it.

Disclaimer, not in roofing or insurance, just what I've gathered from various sources and from replacing a roof out of pocket recently.

Also, home improvement board may get more industry responses but I'd wager a lot of those folks also frequent the outdoor board.
OneMoonGoon92
AG
I'm sorry to say but I went thru this with a roof of 17 years. I would have had to go to court and fight and I was told that the age of the roof itself in addition to the damage that wasn't handled years earlier wasn't a fight I could win. You might get lucky and they cover it but I doubt it. Your new carrier is most likely going to give you fits as well. I was selling my house and had to eat the cost of a new roof. Good luck...youre gonna need it. I hope I'm wrong tho.
schmellba99
AG
I had my roof replaced ~5 years ago after having several small areas of the roof replaced/fixed due to age and damage. Old roof was a composition roof that was 15-16 years old, give or take.

I called a buddy of mine that owns a roofing company. He came out and did an inspection to determine the condition of the roof and whether or not he thought it needed to be replaced. The entire southern side of my roof was in bad shape due to hail damage, he marked every area he found and wrote a report for me with the recommendaton of full replacement.

I called my insurance company*, they sent an adjustor out to survey the roof. He agreed that the roof was beyond repair and recommended full replacement. Insurance company essentially sent me a few documents, one of which was their estimation of the replacement cost of the roof.

I chose to go with a metal roof in lieu of shingles as a replacement. I paid the difference in cost between their estimated cost and the actual cost out of pocket, but overall both myself and the insurance company benefitted - I got a metal roof for significantly less than what it would have ran me to pay outright, insurance got a new roof that was significantly better than what they would have gotten if I had just replaced it with another shingle roof.

*Insurance company did kind of, at least what I felt like, threaten me that if they sent an adjustor out, regardless of what the adjustor recommended, they would treat it as a claim and my rates would reflect it. I thought that was pretty chicken of them, but wasn't all that concerned based on whay my buddy had observed and documented.
kingj3
AG
Unpopular but truthful take: Insurance is not a warranty. "It got old and broke" is not covered by policies

Edit to try and be helpful: If you were with the prior carrier for a long time you might have had a bad storm while you were with them and can file a claim with them.

By moving your policy, however, you have potentially put yourself in a bad spot. Your roof sounds like it is uninsurable. Progressive is probably going to send an inspector out who will note the condition of the roof and then they will issue a notice of cancellation (probably give you 30 days notice) due to the condition of roof
theJonatron
AG
You can try hiring an aggressive roofer but you'll avoid a fight buy just purchasing a new roof. My buddy is a roofer in Houston, you can try him. Ark Roofing & Restoration. He's class of 2008 too. He did my roof when I closed on a home and I paid him cash for it. Hail impact resistant - should be good for 15-20 years.

20 year roof in Texas is toast.
3tab roofs in Texas last maybe 7 years
Architectural composite roofs are given 15 years until actual cash value on the commercial side. Most of them last 12 years or so. You have to get the upgraded materials to push it further, but the heat, cold, and storms break roofs fast here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.