Outdoors
Sponsored by

Borer insects

1,212 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by two1993ags
southernboy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anyone showing signs of them on your trees? I saw a few oaks on my place that looks like they got hit with buckshot. I couldn't see any entry past the bark but if it's them I'm they got in.
Serious Lee
saw same thing on one of my live oaks. tree services have been busy in our neck of the woods cutting down dying pines due to borers.
Thunderstruck xx
Where?
southernboy1
AG
I'm in Karnes County. I sprayed pyrethrin last evening. I still haven't seen the insect yet.
Ranch Dressing
AG
In my experience carpenter ants will eat through dead/inner layers of oaks. Specifically live oak trees. Personal example, I have a 250+ yo live oak. When pruning this past winter, saw the inner layers eaten through by carpenter ants. The tree is healthy. Hopefully this info is helpful.
agsalaska
AG
I have them all over two different trees here in Bell County. My buddy owns a pest control company and he sprayed both trees and it appeared to work.

They look like I shot them with a shotgun about five times. They seem as healthy as ever so I am not too worried about it.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
OnlyForNow
AG
Sure it's not a woodpecker?
agsalaska
AG
100%. It's too low to the ground.

I'll take a picture of it when I get home
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
OnlyForNow
AG
Pics would certainly help.

If it's in concentric circles around the tree, it's peckers.
AJ02
AG
Pine beetles got one of our big pines towards the end of last summer. Tree guy says it only takes 36 hours for them to destroy a pine beyond repair.

Had them treat the rest of our pines in the hopes the others wouldn't get hit. Haven't noticed any insect issues with our oaks. Yet.
agsalaska
AG
Man I got out of town without snapping those pics. I'll be back from Houston Sunday.
two1993ags
If the holes aren't through the cambium and in somewhat linear pattern it's probably sapsuckers. They quite often hit trees on lower trunk-typically younger trees.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.