Outdoors
Sponsored by

purchasing a browning 725 shotgun.

1,836 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by FIDO*98*
BmtAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am considering purchasing a used browning 725 field model over and under shotgun. It was manufactured in 2012. Anyone on here familiar with this model? Anything I should know about?
26 Power
AG
I bought a used Browning 725 Field, 20 ga with 28" barrel last year. Believe manufacture date was 2019.

The action on mine was very tight, and it appeared to have very few rounds through it. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've only put around 100 through it so far. I really like the gun, and mine has operated perfectly in the field. The action is still tight, but I'm sure it'll loosen up with more use.

I've read about some 725's needing firing pins replaced, but I haven't had any issues to date. Your post is a good reminder for me to get to the range soon. Good luck with your research and decision!
BmtAg96
AG
Anyone know if browning has made any changes to this model over the years? Would a 2012 model be identical to a 2024 model?
cledus6150
AG
Be aware that the 725's do not accept the invector/invector + chokes, the 725's switched to the DS style chokes. Depending on which fi ELD model 725 you are getting some minor changes may have occurred but not likely anything major.
pfo
AG
The Browning 725 is the best value in top quality sporting clays guns. The 12 ga comes in right and left hand but I believe the smaller gauges are right hand only. Also, they come with adjustable comb or without in the 12. Get the adjustable comb. Its adjusts up or down and left or right. The 725 is also approximately 1 pound lighter than the Perazzis, Krieghoffs and other top brands in the 12 ga. Finally the Brownings are ported so the increased kick from being lighter is offset by the porting.
BmtAg96
AG
I'm looking at a 725 field 28" barrels. Will mostly be using it for hunting. Should I consider the sporting model instead?
pfo
AG
BmtAg96 said:

I'm looking at a 725 field 28" barrels. Will mostly be using it for hunting. Should I consider the sporting model instead?

Have you shouldered the gun you want to buy? If you have, and it fits you properly, buy it.

Also, if you would like to consider other guns, Rizzini makes very high quality shotguns for reasonable prices. Also Caesar Guerini makes a wonderful selection or high quality guns at reasonable prices. For hunting quail especially, I really prefer the lighter guns in 20 and 28 gauge. The Caesar Guerini Magnus Light is outstanding as is the Rizzini light.
BmtAg96
AG
Have not shouldered one as there are none available locally. I did fire an older model citori and it felt fine.
pfo
AG
Understood. If you buy the gun online and it doesn't fit you can have it fitted to you. I use Larry FeLand in Cyprus Texas.
80sGeorge
AG
BmtAg96 said:

No expert but would like to add that some recommend avoiding porting on field/hunting guns.
FIDO*98*
AG
BmtAg96 said:

There are some important differences in the Field model and the Sporting model. The biggest of which is the rib height. The field model has a flush rib and the sporting is raised. I much prefer the raised rib so that was reason enough for me to get the sporting model, but I also shoot mainly clays and hunt with a Beretta A400. Barrel length is also a consideration. The Sporting model puts you in at least 30" barrels and the Field you're looking at either 26" or 28" which I would prefer in a hunting gun. IIRC the hunting gun is a bit lighter as well. I don't love the porting on my Sporting model, but the noise issue is overblown for hunting and isn't a problem at all if everyone is using ear protection. I do like the palm swell of the sporting model that the field gun doesn't have

Ordinary Man
I previously had a 725 Sporting with a 32" barrel, and shot around 10,000 rounds a year. The bottom firing pin may start to stick (depending on if you shoot dirty shells) at 10,000-20,000 shots which causes soft primer hits on the shell, and some shells may not fire. Some shells shoot dirtier than others, but not a big deal unless you are a high volume shooter.

This is a simple fix. You need to unscrew the stock, knock out the retaining pins with a pin punch to remove the upper and lower firing pin. Use a pipe cleaner with solvent to clean the firing pin chamber, and emery cloth to clean the firing pin. I did this once a year and could do it in 30 minutes.

There are YouTube videos on how to do this. Other than general maintenance, the gun is solid.
BmtAg96
AG
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the 725 vs the CXS? The CXS is a crossover gun that is designed for hunting and skeet shooting. I know the 725 is a higher grade model with a mechanical trigger vs inertia for the CXS. They appear to have a similar design as far as profile, rib height, etc. The 725 has more decorative elements, engraved silver receiver vs the CXS being more plain. Similar grade walnut on both.

I am looking at used 12ga, 28". The used 725s are around $1,800 and are typically older with a manuf date around 2010 - 2012. The used CXS run around $1,500 and are typically around 2-3yrs old.

The biggest difference I can see is the weight. The CXS 28" is 8.0 lbs vs the 725 28" is 7.8 lbs.

26 Power
AG
I believe the 725 has a 14.25" length of pull, vs 14.75" for the CXS. That's assuming these have not been modified w spacers or pads.
BmtAg96
AG
If you had to choose between the two which would you go with? I have narrowed down to these 2 models.
cledus6150
AG
The CXS internally is essentially very similar to the 625 and earlier models (not talking wood and scrolling), having the inertia triggers and invector + chokes. I would recommend a CXS over a 725 but that is because I am a 625 lover and that is the closest you can get to a new production 625.
80sGeorge
AG
https://www.shotgunlife.com/shotguns/guns/a-new-yet-familiar-browning-citori.html

https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/gun-review-browning-725

https://www.shotgunlife.com/shotguns/guns/the-new-browning-20-gauge-725-sporting-is-a-gem.html
HumbleAg04
AG
I'll sell you a 1983 Superposed 4 barrel matched set skeet/skeet 12,20,28,410.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I shoot a 725 sporting and it's the best dove gun ever made IMO.
FIDO*98*
AG
I wouldn't look at it as Pros and Cons. They are both high quality but they are totally different guns in the way they handle. You need to try them out before you buy
BmtAg96
AG
Unfortunately that's probably not possible.
theJonatron
AG
I used my 725 Citori Sporting in a clay shoot a few weeks ago. I shot a 78 and usually average 80 - 84 with my A400, but have shot as high as 94.

Its a great gun and would say it was shooter error to be below my average. I just need to get use to it. It's my first over under and I absolutely love the way it feels, shoots, and looks like. It's nice to take clients and providers to a clay shoot with a nice gun. It's like showing up with a nice watch.
FIDO*98*
AG
BmtAg96 said:

Unfortunately that's probably not possible.

Have you ever shot a Silver Pigeon? The 725 was designed to compete with that gun because the OG Superposed->Citori->626->CXS was designed for a different shooter altogether. I think most would tell you the 725 is an upgrade, but you still have the loyalists like Cledus who like swinging a 2x4.
cledus6150
AG
Hahaha yeah I do love my 2x4's they do a great job breaking clays and hammering birds too! Browning and Blaser's shoulder very well beretta's just never pointed well for me at all!
FIDO*98*
AG
Yeah, really liked the Blaser F3 until I shot one. Ended up buying a Zoli instead. I can shoot just about any brand of Semi with equal results, but over/unders get a bit more finicky for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.