What are the odds ?

891 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by RED AG 98
Duck Blind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My mom died in 2014. My dad canceled her cell service and put her phone in a box. It's still there today.

Fast forward to 2017. I still didn't have the heart to take her number and contact picture out of my phone. My wife and I were waiting outside of our son's school while he was at his first Jr High dance. My mom and son were big buddies…. My phone rings. It pops up my mom's picture and from her number. I look at my wife and think there's no way. I answer. It was a young lady looking for someone I didn't know, so we hung up. I thought about it for a minute and had to call back and ask a few questions. She answered and told me she was just assigned that number with her new phone. I explained who I was. She almost cried. I knew my dad still had my mom's old phone so this wasn't an instance of someone buying it and calling me.

So, I ask you math guys… In Houston, with 6,000,000 people in the area, WHAT are the odds of someone with my mom's old number misdialing ME her SON?

Let that soak in for a minute…

Thanks!
OnlyForNow
AG
I mean, very low odds. I'd also call her old carrier and be sure that the number has been reused.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Wow, astronomical odds.
Duck Blind
AG
It has been. My mom was with ATT. The caller said she just got a new phone and that number from Sprint.
n_touch
It's little things like this that leave no doubt in my mind that our world is affected by forces out of our control.
Proposition Joe
Interesting question so I did a bit of googling. Doubt this guy's data is necessarily correct, but he seems to think 1 in 1,169,590,643 chance on any given day of getting a call from an old number of some person you know (assuming you know around 100 people).

Now, whittle that down to it being a significant contact (mom, dad, child, etc...) and the odds get even more astronomical, but we're also talking not on any given day anymore but instead one time in roughly 1460 days (4 years).

Someone else would need to take the math from here, my head hurts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dothemath/comments/634dbq/what_are_the_chances_of_me_receiving_a_random/
AGBQ01
AG
I'd say it works out to ... <checks notes> ... 1 in 6,000,000
RED AG 98
AG
Not exactly the same but I've had a very similar experience. I worked with a guy for over a decade. He a bit of a drinking problem and unfortunately, after losing his job and wife decided to end things. Just a super awful deal around.

Fast forward 5 years later, and I drop my son off a friend's house for a birthday party. Couple hours later I get a call that shows up as my buddy, long since deceased. It was my son on the other end, calling from his friend's cell because his phone had died.

Sounds a bit silly now but it was pretty awful seeing his name calling my phone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.