Facebook account hacked

1,486 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Azariah
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried resetting the password but the codes Facebook are sending me don't work. In fact, they keep sending the same code which can't be right. You'd think every time I request the code I'd get a new code, not the same two codes each time.

Tried securing the account by confirming my ID and setting a new email address and got some recovery emails but again, none of those work.

Also, somehow I now have an @meta email address which I never set up.

Every time I try to reset thing I seem to get stuck in a do loop of emails that send a code that don't work.

Am I just screwed here. Threads on Reddit seem to indicate Facebook is useless for assistance here.
BCStalk
Go through the process of a hacked account. You will have to submit photo ID and a picture of yourself typically holding a paper with a handwritten number on it. I have been through a couple of hackings recently due to my account access for work and it is not terrible to get it back but can take weeks. Once you do get it back, I highly suggest adding two factor authentication.
BadMoonRisin
AG
BCStalk said:

Go through the process of a hacked account. You will have to submit photo ID and a picture of yourself typically holding a paper with a handwritten number on it. I have been through a couple of hackings recently due to my account access for work and it is not terrible to get it back but can take weeks. Once you do get it back, I highly suggest adding two factor authentication. deleting it.
ftfy
Psycho Bunny
BadMoonRisin said:

BCStalk said:

Go through the process of a hacked account. You will have to submit photo ID and a picture of yourself typically holding a paper with a handwritten number on it. I have been through a couple of hackings recently due to my account access for work and it is not terrible to get it back but can take weeks. Once you do get it back, I highly suggest adding two factor authentication. deleting it.
ftfy
Deleting facebook account was the best decision in my life. Unplug and enjoy life.
Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
agracer
AG
BCStalk said:

Go through the process of a hacked account. You will have to submit photo ID and a picture of yourself typically holding a paper with a handwritten number on it. I have been through a couple of hackings recently due to my account access for work and it is not terrible to get it back but can take weeks. Once you do get it back, I highly suggest adding two factor authentication.
I did the photo ID thing and even got another email linked to the account, but the codes they sent didn't work.
Wildmen03
AG
agracer said:

BCStalk said:

I did the photo ID thing and even got another email linked to the account, but the codes they sent didn't work.
Similar thing happened to me, picture ID and everything. The fun part was they changed my facebook language to spanish so I had to translate every email.I eventually gave up and walked away from the account. I randomly tried to log in about a month later and it suddenly worked.
agracer
AG
Wildmen03 said:

agracer said:

BCStalk said:

Similar thing happened to me, picture ID and everything. The fun part was they changed my facebook language to spanish so I had to translate every email.I eventually gave up and walked away from the account. I randomly tried to log in about a month later and it suddenly worked.
Reddit was full of problems and folks were saying they just tried the same codes a few days later and they worked.

Also tried logging in with google but the TFA is linked to an old tablet which is 600 miles away right now. I need to fix that too. That tablet is about to die.
nai06
AG
How bad do you want the Facebook account back? Sign up for a month of meta verified for $15 and you can actually get in contact with a live person. You can even do it through Instagram if you have one of those as well.

My wife has a previously verified FB an insta accounts and when someone got a hold of her Facebook, even her publicists had a hell of a time getting it fixed. When she paid for meta verify, they had it done in 36 hours.

It sucks, but it's a pretty surefire way to get it fixed. Then cancel the monthly meta verified service.
agracer
AG
nai06 said:

How bad do you want the Facebook account back? Sign up for a month of meta verified for $15 and you can actually get in contact with a live person. You can even do it through Instagram if you have one of those as well.

My wife has a previously verified FB an insta accounts and when someone got a hold of her Facebook, even her publicists had a hell of a time getting it fixed. When she paid for meta verify, they had it done in 36 hours.

It sucks, but it's a pretty surefire way to get it fixed. Then cancel the monthly meta verified service.
That might be an option. I use it a lot to communicate with various groups and I organize ARA Rimfire matches at the range I belong to thru facebook so it's it's unfortunately become a necessity evil.
Burdizzo
AG
I am still trying to figure out what happened to my account a couple of years ago. Looked at it one morning to find that somehow my profile picture was a posterized image of Che Guevara. I immediately changed it and have not had any problems, but I still think their security is crap. The number of fake accounts is off the charts.
agracer
AG
WTF…got logged in on my PC using the code they emailed. Tried to change my password and it said

You can't make this change at the moment"

"this is because we noticed you are using a device you don't usually use and we need to keep your account safe. We'll allow you to make this change after you've used this device for a while."

WTF does that even mean? I'm for sure on a device I use all the time.

I logged out but now can't get back in.
Rec
AG
This happened to me 2 weeks ago… apparently whoever hacked my account got it suspended. I just find it hard that fb couldn't figure out that after 16+ years, all of a sudden I reset my password at 4:30am, change my phone and email… and then break enough rules to get suspended within a couple hours…. After 2 weeks of trying to get it back I got a message saying I was ineligible to use Facebook and the decision was final. So F em I guess… I won't miss the feed but I had a lot of groups that I will miss.

It is strange to have been completely erased… everything I have ever done is totally gone. Maybe it's a blessing in the long run?
agracer
AG
Rec said:

This happened to me 2 weeks ago… apparently whoever hacked my account got it suspended. I just find it hard that fb couldn't figure out that after 16+ years, all of a sudden I reset my password at 4:30am, change my phone and email… and then break enough rules to get suspended within a couple hours…. After 2 weeks of trying to get it back I got a message saying I was ineligible to use Facebook and the decision was final. So F em I guess… I won't miss the feed but I had a lot of groups that I will miss.

It is strange to have been completely erased… everything I have ever done is totally gone. Maybe it's a blessing in the long run?
There are a ton of threads on reddit with similar stories.

Like HTF can Facebook not have their IT crap together to allow people to recover their accounts or change passwords. The codes they send don't work, but like I noted above I actually used the code as a PW to get in on my PC last night but could not change any passwords once I got in.
Rec
AG
agracer said:

Rec said:

There are a ton of threads on reddit with similar stories.

Like HTF can Facebook not have their IT crap together to allow people to recover their accounts or change passwords. The codes they send don't work, but like I noted above I actually used the code as a PW to get in on my PC last night but could not change any passwords once I got in.

At this point i m not sure if I wouldn't delete my acct if they gave it back (after I retrieved the info from my groups info). I don't have any trust anymore, being the product isn't as fun as consuming a product… they definitely are not concerned about their users (widgets)
Azariah
AG
BCStalk said:

As long as there is a button saying, "I can't access my codes" two-factor does nothing.
saw em off
Azariah said:

BCStalk said:

As long as there is a button saying, "I can't access my codes" two-factor does nothing.
Depends on the type of 2FA. Codes via text is the least secure form of 2FA. A hardware key such as a Yubikey is the strongest method.
Azariah
AG
saw em off said:

Azariah said:

BCStalk said:

Depends on the type of 2FA. Codes via text is the least secure form of 2FA. A hardware key such as a Yubikey is the strongest method.
And any button that lets you bypass that because you forgot or don't have access your codes means your security is only as strong as whatever the alternate method of authentication is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.