LBs

5,481 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 90ags
Jarrin' Jay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love our recruiting class, overall quality and addressing needs. I don't think we have ever had this many 4 star kids in a class, Jimbo is certainly increasing the average talent on the roster (pre-development).

I only see one LB committed. Should we not sign 2-3 based on the current depth chart?
JmacAg07
AG
I believe we signed 4 in the 2019 class, then 2 in the 2020 class (maybe a 3rd with that gray shirt). With k e this class and us basically spending most of our time in a 4-2-5, we should be ok. Probably need to just take 3 next year.
Macarthur
JmacAg07 said:

I believe we signed 4 in the 2019 class, then 2 in the 2020 class (maybe a 3rd with that gray shirt). With k e this class and us basically spending most of our time in a 4-2-5, we should be ok. Probably need to just take 3 next year.
Agree. Wasn't a huge need this cycle.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Thanks for the replies.
Coryhub
If we land turner, tunmise, jeudy we don't need any LBs bc nothing will get past our DL
MidTnAg
AG
I see a very strong need each and every year for top linebackers.

One of the main reasons is because there are only a few top high school recruits each year in the US who are linebackers. And very few of these are in Texas.

Another reason is that we do not have enough top linebackers on our squad.

We only have two linebackers on our entire squad who were high school linebacker recruits in the Top 300 recruits of their senior year Edgerrin Cooper (#162) and Antonio Doyle (#89).
Our only 2021 linebacker commit was offered a scholarship by only four universities in the Power Five Conferences - Kansas State, Missouri, North Carolina State, and us.

This will definitely NOT win us any championships.
Macarthur
MidTnAg said:

I see a very strong need each and every year for top linebackers.

One of the main reasons is because there are only a few top high school recruits each year in the US who are linebackers. And very few of these are in Texas.

Another reason is that we do not have enough top linebackers on our squad.

We only have two linebackers on our entire squad who were high school linebacker recruits in the Top 300 recruits of their senior year Edgerrin Cooper (#162) and Antonio Doyle (#89).
Our only 2021 linebacker commit was offered a scholarship by only four universities in the Power Five Conferences - Kansas State, Missouri, North Carolina State, and us.

This will definitely NOT win us any championships.

Look, if there is a great one, sure, you gotta take one, but you do realize we have 14 LBers on the roster and we only play 2 even on base defense.
MidTnAg
AG
I am talking about quality, not quantity.

Linebackers according to 247Sports:
We have zero 5-Star players and five 4-Star players with no 4-Star or 5-Star commits.
Alabama has five 5-star players and eleven 4-star players with three 4-Star commits.
Meximan
Alabama has like five 3 stars on their entire roster, period. Contrasting anyone to Alabama is not fair in any universe.

Also 5 fours is a three deep with fours at all three levels. A&M only starts two at a time. How many teams can say they go three deep with 4 star players in any unit?
Ugly
AG
Meximan said:

Alabama has like five 3 stars on their entire roster, period. Contrasting anyone to Alabama is not fair in any universe.

Also 5 fours is a three deep with fours at all three levels. A&M only starts two at a time. How many teams can say they go three deep with 4 star players in any unit?
The teams we are trying to compete with.
beerad12man
AG
Staff likes seegars and are more than comfortable with just two(including Phillips) after three last year and four the year before. It's a position we reality only play 2 per play, and maybe 3 a game.

Edit: So now 1 with seegars decommitted. Still that's 8 backers in 3 years for 2 spots. With adding a potential injury or 2, 1-2 not panning out, etc, that's still enough numbers wise when you only play 3-4 a game. Get into quality all you want but we have the bodies. Develop them.
beerad12man
AG
As for comparing us directly to Alabama?

It's ridiculous. Look, I get it. We have to beat them to win our own division. Yes. But if you compared lsu, auburn, Clemson etc to bama. They'd look terrible too. Particularly at linebacker in which bama has smoked everyone in recruiting at.

No one compares head to head with bama up and down the roster. We aren't going to be able to match them tie to toe either. Yet auburn was won 2 sec west's and a national title, lsu has won a national title, and Clemson has beat them twice for national titles all in the last 12 years or so. If you looked at a couple positions, it would look similar to us at linebacker. Where it just doesn't compare to the #1 recruiting program in college football history.

What we need to do is this. we need to close the gap as much as we can at as many positions as we can. stop worrying about exactly what they have in comparison to us, win more and more on the field and keep increasing recruiting as much as we can. To say it "this will definitely NOT win us any championships" is an unknown. We are actually trending quite strong to giving ourselves a respectable chance. That includes linebacker. On paper none of those teams should have stood a chance against bama either. You can only try to get closer than where you are giving yourself more chances
Kramer
AG
And Seegars de-commits.

Who's Auburn got verbals from? Might give them a call.
beerad12man
AG
So much for seegars. Probably at least somewhat mutual, but I do know we liked him a lot. Defer to 2022. Next year we still have white, russel, lee, Doyle, cooper, and Phillips for 2 spots and a quality back up or 2. Maybe even Hansford who might come back. Maybe keshun brown but he also opted out at one point so he's a flight risk.

Land Perkins, Harris and a couple of others in 2022.
Jevertson
AG
What about that kid that decommitted from tennessee
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I would think / hope we have 2 LBs lined up for this week or the 2021 signing date. We can't have a class with 0 LBs.
90ags
are we looking at Harold Perkins? Says we offered and he's moving up the charts (so is the LB out of The Woodlands, but he didn't play in their playoff game for some reason..injured?)?

Guess they are both '22 class.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.