How to get a recruit noticed

3,178 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by haydenshelton00
JoeAggie5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hopefully don't get scorched for this, genuinely asking for my son who will be in 9th grade in the fall.

What's the best way to get them on the radar of schools?

Camps specific to school? Camps in general?

Does hudl even matter?

Do they need to sit down with their high school coach and express their desire to play at next level and how can they do that? Would that turn a high school coach off?
cevans_40
AG
If he is good enough, they will find him. Now for smaller schools, you can help yourself out by having good film to send them. Camps help with the stars (if that matters to you).
technoviking
AG
Camps at schools. Hudl films. Great play on the field. Hopefully starting at known football powerhouses.
infinity ag
Move to a school distt which has a FB powerhouse.
spongeboob_squaresharts
AG
I'm by no means an expert and may be a bit bias, but I work at Hudl and have conversations on the regular with coaches and club directors looking to enhance their college recruiting programs. If a coach cares about the program, then he/she wants to see the players be successful and ultimately get recruited (alongside maybe a state title ).

I don't think it could hurt having your son set up a meeting with the coach. Are coaches busy? Yes. Will he be irritated if a freshman already wants to talk college? Maybe. But if he cares about the team and cares about the players, then he should give your son 15 minutes to discuss his goals. If he refuses or doesn't take him seriously, then maybe he's not the type of person your son should be playing for.

If the school is filming games and using Hudl (which I'm sure they are), make sure your son is staying proactive on watching game film regularly and ultimately building his profile with quality highlights that he can grow as he progresses through high school. Starting this process earlier is going to ensure that your son has a strong resume and plenty of game film for a college coach to review when it's ultimately time to start. Unless your son ends up being a Top 200 recruit, a college coach is going to want to see more than 3 highlights from his junior year.

Training camps are a great way to showcase players' skills and abilities and may help your son get on a college coach's radar early on. But these can be expensive and competition is going to be fierce so it's important to set realistic expectations for these and ensure that they're going to be worth attending. Coaches in the past have told me how they've had athletes get recruited without attending a single camp or showcase so by no means are these always necessary.

Feel free to ask me anything else about this process and anything more specific!

T&Gs
FrontPorchAg
I would add watch out for the camps. Many are just money-making endeavors. My business partners son was a mid to high level baseball player out of Johnson High School.

My partner spent thousands (probably 10s of thousands) of dollars over the years with camps, tournaments, private coaches etc. The story was always the same. Your son is on the cusp of getting a D1 scholarship and just needs a little more exposure, coaching etc.

In the end, he played one season at JUCO and is still trying to find a place to play baseball. Meanwhile his dad could have paid for college with as much money as they spent.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
TarponChaser
Both my brother and I played D1 football, if your boy is good enough the coaches will find him.

That being said, I definitely think it would be good for your boy to meet with the HS coaches and express his goals and ask what he needs to do to get there. The coaches will respect the drive and initiative and if he shows the work ethic I've never known a coach who refused to help a kid get better. My brother and I were total gym rats all through HS and probably put in 20 hours a week in offseason training.

That being said, it needs to be the kid who approaches the coaches and not you as the dad.

The recruiting game has changed a lot though. I think it's harder for kids to slip through the cracks due to all the camps and social media stuff than it was 25 years ago when I was a recruit. I can't speak to how valid these camps are for kids mainly. I do know that coaches don't put near the stock into camps that these ranking services do. Take a look at Aggie Eric McCoy- he was a 2* recruit because he didn't go to any camps but after redshirting (which I believe virtually all OL should do) started 33 straight games and was arguably the best center in the 2019 draft and a day 1 starter in New Orleans and All Rookie team.
BradenMeador
AG
Some camps including the Rivals Camp Series film every rep each athlete does and distributes it to coaches.

Also, avoid those weekend long camps at one school. Most coaches can get a good assessment in 2-3 hours so stick to one day camps.
haydenshelton00
AG
As a recently former high school football player (graduated high school in 2019), I would say that he needs to inform his coaches early on that he has a desire to play on the next level. I made that mistake of trying to get recruited by bigger schools after my senior year of football.

Hudl highlights, I would say is a very important. Put the best 3-5 highlights in the very front and continue to show the best plays first.

Camps are not necessarily important. I've been to a few and the coaches already have people in mind who they want to specifically look at. If you're good enough and have the desire to play, the recruiters will find you. I got tons of emails from smaller schools from around the country wanting me to get into contact with them, but I never really had the desire to move far off and play for a small school (plus I wanted to go to engineering school).

Not looking to get bashed, but just my two cents as a recently former player...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.