Recruiting Update: Who is left?

44,993 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Charlie Wallace
MidTnAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[Updated: Feb 4, 2019] ----- Next Signing Day, Wed, Feb 6

We have room for THREE more recruits to sign their National Letters of Intent [NLI].

Probably down to Mowry, Shepherd (if we can flip him), and maybe Smith or Russell
#234, Braedon Mowry, 6-4, 225, WDE --- [Ags 80%, OK 20%] grades apparently ok
1#338, Javonne Shepherd, 6-6, 346, OT --- [sips 59%, Ags 39%] We really need Javonne
#785, Ainias Smith, 5-10, 187, ATH --- [Ags 100%] I assume he will sign only if the Staff determines we have room for him.
#897, Christopher Russell, 6-2, 220, ILB --- [AR 25%, Ags 0%] High Jump in rating; desperately need an ILB

Other Possibilities:
Highest rated and thus, probably the most wanted player is:
#168, Devonta Lee, 6-2, 212, ATH --- [LSU 95%, AL 4%] Can play several positions. He strongly wants to play WR. Aggies want (and definitely need) him to play LB. He did not visit A&M this past weekend; Rescheduled instead. We are probably out of the picture.
#335, Josh Ellison, 6-3, 285, DT--- [Ags 100%] grades apparently still not ok
#416, David Ugwoegbu, 6-4.5, 225, WDE --- [OK 100%] was 100% Ags; committed to Oklahoma
#508, Jay Ward, 6-1, 175, CB --- [LSU 83%, FSU ?%, Ags ?%]

Shepherd's scheduled visits: Ag Jan 11; GA Jan 18; AL Jan 25; sips Feb 1
Ward's scheduled visits: Ags Jan 18; FSU Jan 25
Russell's scheduled visits: Ags Jan 11; AU Jan 18; AR Jan 25; UTK Feb 1
= = = = =
= = = = =
Early Signing Period Summary: NO MAJOR SURPRISES -- GOOD OR BAD
23 Committed Recruits signed and returned their National Letter of Intent [NLI] during early signing period.

Top 100: 7 -- #15 Kenyon Green, #16 DeMarvin Leal, #53 Baylor Cupp, #70 Dylan Wright, #72 Brian Williams, #80 Demani Richardson, #96 Erick Young

Top 101-200: 1 -- #152 Isaiah Spiller

Other 4-Star Recruits: 6 -- #204 Kam Brown, #5 (JC) Elijah Blades, #313 Andre White Jr, #322 Derick Hunter, #358 Ke'Shun Brown, #362 Jalen Wydermyer

3-Star Recruits: 9 -- #415 Kenyon Jackson, #448 Layden Robinson, #482 Zach Calzada, #493 Adarious Jones, #530 Chase Lane, #732 Tarian Lee Jr, #791 Blake Trainor, #1389 RJ Orebo, #2K Caden Davis
= = = =
Status of some other important recruits we heavily recruited:
#9, Ishmael Sopsher, 6-3.5, 334, DT --- [LSU 62%, AL 33%]
#14, Nakobe Dean, 6-0, 220, ILB --- Georgia
#79, Adisa Isaac, 6-5, 215, WDE --- Penn State
#233, Marcus Stripling, 6-2.5, 260, SDE --- Oklahoma
Others:
#84, Marquez Beason, 5-10, 177, WR --- Illinois
#171, Eric Gray, 5-10, 193, RB --- Tennessee
#189, Marcus Banks, 6-0, 170, CB --- Alabama
#639, Zach Edwards, 6-2, 217, ILB --- [Memphis 82%, Miss State 12%]
#884, Kevon Glenn, 6-1, 220, ILB --- Florida State
#921, Tye Edwards, 6-3, 215, OLB --- [AL, AU, FSU, GA, OR also offered] must be some issues here

= = = =
SEC Recruiting Summaries: (Top 1-100, Top 101-200)
#1 Alabama. Top 100 (10), Top 200 (11) ------ Stars 5 (3), 4 (24)
#2 Georgia. Top 100 (8), Top 200 (4) --------- Stars; 5 (4), 4(16)
#3 TAMU. Top 100 (5), Top 200 (1) ---------- Stars 5 (2), 4 (14)
#7 LSU. Top 100 (4), Top 200 (2) --------------- Stars 5 (3), 4 (10)
#11 Florida. Top 100 (1), Top 200 (4) --------- Stars 5 (0), 4 (15)
#12 Auburn. Top 100 (4), Top 200 (2) -------- Stars 5 (3), 4 (9)
#16 Tennessee. Top 100 (2), Top 200 (5) ---- Stars 5 (1), 4 (10)
#21 So. Carolina. Top 100 (2), Top 200 (2) -- Stars 5 (1), 4 (4)
#22 Arkansas. Top 100 (0), Top 200 (2) ------ Stars 5 (0), 4 (10)
#23 Miss State. Top 100 (2), Top 200 (1) ----- Stars 5 (1), 4 (5)
#25 Miss. Top 100 (0), Top 200 (1) ------------- Stars 5 (0), 4 (5)
#32 Kentucky. Top 100 (0), Top 200 (0) ------ Stars 5 (0), 4 (3)
#34 Missouri. Top 100 (0), Top 200 (0) ------- Stars 5 (0), 4 (3)
#51 Vanderbilt. Top 100 (0), Top 200 (0) ----- Stars 5 (0), 4 (0)

At least 41 of the Top 100 players (by 247C) are SEC bound
At least 32 of the Top 101-200 players are also SEC bound

Feb 4, 2019
(Removed:110240)
AG
Nice post! Thanks for collecting all of this in one place.
Keller6Ag91
AG
From insiders on this site, Spiller falls in the Warmer to Hot category.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Bone6
Fisher did what I've been wanting us to do at LB for years. The state of Texas talent pool at LB has been pretty shallow going on a decade now, so why not grab a couple solid if not elite LB recruits from states that still seem to be churning out a lot of LB talent.

That's exactly what they did in landing an LB from the state of Florida and Pennsylvania.
technoviking
AG
Bone6 said:

Fisher did what I've been wanting us to do at LB for years. The state of Texas talent pool at LB has been pretty shallow going on a decade now, so why not grab a couple solid if not elite LB recruits from states that still seem to be churning out a lot of LB talent.

That's exactly what they did in landing an LB from the state of Florida and Pennsylvania.

And pretty soon Louisiana and hopefully Mississippi
MidTnAg
AG
Zach Edwards [6'2", 217, ILB, --- #482] recently decommitted from LSU. 247 has us listed as "Favorite".
He is not a high rankings player but plays a position we desperately need help in.
technoviking
AG
MidTnAg said:

Zach Edwards [6'2", 217, ILB, --- #482] recently decommitted from LSU. 247 has us listed as "Favorite".
He is not a high rankings player but plays a position we desperately need help in.

A different Louisiana kid.
MidTnAg
AG
Commitment by RB Isaiah Spiller was huge. He was probably the #1 wanted Recruit among the uncommitted group. His commitment tells uncommitted recruits that they can be a part of a very balanced class with Top Recruits at every position.
Foxo
AG
Which poll do these numbers come from?

Are we getting close to our limit?
technoviking
AG
Foxo said:

Which poll do these numbers come from?

Are we getting close to our limit?
the 247 composite rankings, which is an average of the 247 rankings, the rivals rankings and the ESPN 300 rankings.

our limit should be 28-29, depending on attrition/early enrollees.
PlanetAggie
AG
Thanks OP. Appreciate the research.
Meximan
I guess if you pour some kool aid and dream big, landing Dean & getting 5th stars onto Williams and Cupp would change the entire narrative: 4 fives plus a dozen fours if those gem-in-the-rough o-linemen get fourth stars.

But that's dreaming extra big.
beerad12man
AG
They didn't have to go deep in the current rankings. They chose those guys over many higher ranked guys because they don't see eye to eye with the rankings.

Big difference between being forced to take Lower ranked guys and choosing them over others

Edwards isn't a take right now. We like others better.we will take anywhere from 26-28. 28 might be on the high end now .
JmacAg07
AG
I have it on pretty good authority that David Ugwoegbu will go to the good guys
reyrod19
AG
MidTnAg
AG
Quote:

They didn't have to go deep in the current rankings. They chose those guys over many higher ranked guys because they don't see eye to eye with the rankings.

Big difference between being forced to take Lower ranked guys and choosing them over others.
Of the Lower Five non-kicker committed recruits, ignore their rankings and pay attention only to how other Staffs evaluated the players:
OC was offered by only 4 Power 5 universities [TAMU, Kan, Neb, Syracuse]
OT was offered by several Power 5 universities including TAMU, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson
OT was offered by only 6 Power 5 universities [TAMU, Ark, Kan, Missouri, Neb, TCU]
OLB was offered by only 4 Power 5 universities [TAMU, Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers]
OLB was offered by only 3 universities [TAMU, Illinois State, Texas State]

Quote:

I have it on pretty good authority that David Ugwoegbu will go to the good guys
If David Ugwoegbu wants an Aggie scholarship, he needs to raise his hand before either Top 200 recruits Khris Bogle or Adisa Isaac does.

#122 Dylan Wright, 6-4, 213, WR committed to the Aggies on Aug 6. This was very surprising. He was thought to be a heavy sip lean and also had stated he was not going to announce his choice until the Under Armour All-American Game in January. He stated that Coach Dameyune Craig was a big reason he chose the Aggies. It was a huge win against the sips.
MidTnAg
AG
Just because a player was ranked low does not always mean he was not going to play a significant role for A&M.
There are occasional exceptions (albeit a few). Current Players ranked below by 247C rankings; Second # is the rankings by 247Sports:

#1553/1526 Debione Renfro 2017 lowest ranked fish in 2017 class; how in the hell could anyone think this player would ever play in the SEC --- fortunately Clarence McKinney did.

#1394/1581 Ryan McCollum 2016 --- wow
#1164/1285 Carson Green 2017 --- second lowest ranked fish in 2017 class; an offensive line starter
#1144/770 Erik McCoy 2015 --- wow, wow
#1117/988 Colton Prater 2016 --- a huge surprise early on; an offensive line starter
#1053/776 Ondario Robinson 2017 --- third lowest ranked fish in 2017 class; could possibly make 3-deep at a DE spot
#1042/1192 Donovan Wilson 2014 --- wow, wow, wow
#980/1502 Jared Hocker 2017 --- fourth lowest ranked fish in 2017 class; an offensive line starter
#757/357 Dan Moore 2017 --- eighth lowest ranked fish in 2017; an offensive line starter
#585/918 Riley Anderson 2016
#550/571 Landis Durham 2015
#523/546 Nick Starkel 2016
#455/335 Kingsley KeKe 2015

How could so many 2017 recruits become a starter on the offensive line so early in their careers. Aren't they all supposed to redshirt their fish year?

There has probably rarely been a class from top to bottom with so many players participating at such a high level early in their careers as Sumlin's last full class (2017). Class was ranked only 6th in the SEC. Fourteen of those players played in at least 10 regular season games last season. 23 are still on the roster.

It is extremely fortunate for Coach Fisher and his Staff, that he has most of these already productive 2017 players for 2 and some for 3 more years, esp in our weakest area - the offensive line.
Bobcat-Ag
The reason that they are playing and playing early is due to a lack of upper class talent. While Sumlin and crew should get credit for the 2017 class, he should also take the blame for the misses in the previous classes.

Ultimately I think this is what lead to his firing.
beerad12man
AG
Agreed.

Quote:

There has probably rarely been a class from top to bottom with so many players participating at such a high level

High level? It's too early to say that. Early returns are positive but most of the guys you listed have not performed at a high level. Better than the 2016 class? Sure. But high level in comparison to our competition?

It's still too early to say that. And it's way too early to say fisher is "extremely fortunate". Especially when a lot of his guys from 2018/2019 might end up overtaking the 2017 class anyways. The 2015/2016 classes were a major disappointment save a few guys that led to them all playing. I'm glad 2017 appears to be a lot better, but we don't know if it's the type of class that can lead to 8-5/9-4 seasons or championships. Personally I think it's still a bit short of championship caliber and that is what we are striving for. 2019 and beyond are the championship caliber classes
MidTnAg
AG
2017: 6th in the SEC, zero 5-Star, eight 4-Star recruits
2016: 8th in the SEC, zero 5-Star, eight 4-Star recruits
2015: 6th in the SEC, three 5-Star, ten 4-Star recruits
2014: 3rd in the SEC, three 5-Star, eleven 4-Star recruits

High Level: My definition is NOT based on how they compare to their competitors at other schools because there is no such comparison. I am basing it on what they achieved in their first year at A&M.

This 2017 class consisted of only eight of the Top 340 recruits [247 Composite rankings]. Yet, in their first year on campus, 14 players played in 10 or more games. Eleven were a starter at one time or another. No matter the circumstances, to me, these players performed at a High Level.

If they had not played above their projections, we would not have won four SEC games last season.

Extremely Fortunate:
Quote:

And it's way too early to say Fisher is "extremely fortunate".
You must be kidding. Imagine what it would be like this season, if the experience accumulated by the first year players last season had been performed by the juniors and seniors who left the program. We would be in horrible shape.

We have a very tough schedule this season. With our weak offensive line and our lack of depth at LB, winning four SEC games this season will definitely be a challenge. Fortunately, the Aggie Staff has a solid group of experienced second year players to work with this year and to build on for our future.

Yes, we are Extremely Fortunate.
NavyAg92
AG
4-Star ILB Kane Patterson is back on the market now.
technoviking
AG
NavyAg92 said:

4-Star ILB Kane Patterson is back on the market now.

He should be the top target, but Clemson is working really hard on him
beerad12man
AG
MidTnAg said:

2017: 6th in the SEC, zero 5-Star, eight 4-Star recruits
2016: 8th in the SEC, zero 5-Star, eight 4-Star recruits
2015: 6th in the SEC, three 5-Star, ten 4-Star recruits
2014: 3rd in the SEC, three 5-Star, eleven 4-Star recruits

High Level: My definition is NOT based on how they compare to their competitors at other schools because there is no such comparison. I am basing it on what they achieved in their first year at A&M.

This 2017 class consisted of only eight of the Top 340 recruits [247 Composite rankings]. Yet, in their first year on campus, 14 players played in 10 or more games. Eleven were a starter at one time or another. No matter the circumstances, to me, these players performed at a High Level.

If they had not played above their projections, we would not have won four SEC games last season.

Extremely Fortunate:
Quote:

And it's way too early to say Fisher is "extremely fortunate".
You must be kidding. Imagine what it would be like this season, if the experience accumulated by the first year players last season had been performed by the juniors and seniors who left the program. We would be in horrible shape.

We have a very tough schedule this season. With our weak offensive line and our lack of depth at LB, winning four SEC games this season will definitely be a challenge. Fortunately, the Aggie Staff has a solid group of experienced second year players to work with this year and to build on for our future.

Yes, we are Extremely Fortunate.

No. I'm not kidding. Not by a long shot. I guess we will have agree to disagree on what is considered extremely fortunate

For me to call someone extremely fortunate I'd have to have better criteria than simply being better than the juniors and seniors from the 2017 squad. We all know that roster wasn't good enough. The 2017 and now 2018 rosters are about the minimum talent id ever expect a&m to have moving forward in the sec. jimbo will greatly improve that talent moving forward. For me to say he was extremely fortunate I'd have to think he inhereted a roster Better than the majority of our opponents. But as is, he took over a 7-5/8-4 type of roster

You jumped from being in "horrible shape" to "extremely fortunate" when in reality there's a huge gap in between. He is taking over a decent roster but no where near what we need to win at the highest levels. That isn't extremely fortunate in my book. That's just okay.
beerad12man
AG
and I mean no disrespect. I just have a different criteria for what it means for a new coach to be fortunate. I compare to what he has to coach against. You are comparing to what it could be or what we had before. We are middle of the pack from a talent standpoint so I personally don't see that as being extremely fortunate
Traveler
AG
beerad12man said:

and I mean no disrespect. I just have a different criteria for what it means for a new coach to be fortunate. I compare to what he has to coach against. You are comparing to what it could be or what we had before. We are middle of the pack from a talent standpoint so I personally don't see that as being extremely fortunate

Agree. Most of those starters are O-line guys, and our O-line is.not.good.

MidTnAg
AG
Extremely important Top 100 Visitor this weekend:
#58, Khris Bogle, 6-5, 215, WDE --- [Mia 68%, Miss 12%] [Official Visit]
If he would commit, he would be our 8th Top 100 Recruit!

Other 2019 visitors:
#156, Marcus Stripling, 6-2.5, 260, SDE --- a Top 200 must sign recruit [Ags 100%]
#379, Jalen Wydermyer, 6-5, 235, TE --- [Ags 75%, Miss 25%]
#401, David Ugwoegbu, , 6-4.5, 225, WDE/LB --- [Ags 100%]
CC #5, Elijah Blades, 6-2, 170, CB --- [Official Visit, Oregon commit]
CC #9, Keony Deng, 6-6, 231, WDE/OLB --- [Official Visit, VT 100%]
Deng has only 5 D1 offers VT, Col, Mary, Rut, TAMU
mntamu23
MidTnAg said:

Extremely important Top 100 Visitor this weekend:
#58, Khris Bogle, 6-5, 215, WDE --- [Mia 68%, Miss 12%] [Official Visit]
If he would commit, he would be our 8th Top 100 Recruit!

Other 2019 visitors:
#156, Marcus Stripling, 6-2.5, 260, SDE --- a Top 200 must sign recruit [Ags 100%]
#379, Jalen Wydermyer, 6-5, 235, TE --- [Ags 75%, Miss 25%]
#401, David Ugwoegbu, , 6-4.5, 225, WDE/LB --- [Ags 100%]
CC #5, Elijah Blades, 6-2, 170, CB --- [Official Visit, Oregon commit]
CC #9, Keony Deng, 6-6, 231, WDE/OLB --- [Official Visit, VT 100%]
Deng has only 5 D1 offers VT, Col, Mary, Rut, TAMU
That top guy may just commit soon. Fingers crossed.
MidTnAg
AG
Looking at the data on the 247Sports web site, I noticed that on Sept 9, Brian Perroni (247Sports) and Demetric Warren (Director of Scouting and Recruiting at varsitypreps.com) each placed a Crystal Ball prediction stating their belief that #210 OT Javonne Shepherd will flip from the sips to the Aggies.

After the sips unexpected & uninspiring poor play in their first two games along with the opposite occurring in College Station, Javonne may be changing his mind about his commitment to the sips he made in July.

This would be huge in that we desperately need help in the OL, which is definitely our weakest area. We currently have only one 2019 OL commitment in 247C Top 500. That is his good friend, #11 OT Kenyon Green. Kenyon is our Top commitment in the 2019 class. Both are from the Houston area.

--Javonne Shepherd, 6-6, 346, OT, North Forest -- #210 [sips-62%, Ags-38%]

Another factor that might help us with Javonne is the weekend commitment of 2020 WR Demond Demas. He also attends North Forest HS. Nationally he is #3 WR and #20 overall. A Super-Star recruit.

--Demond Demas, 6-4, 210, WR, North Forest -- #20 (Committed on 9/8 to TAMU)
MidTnAg
AG
My prediction is that our final Three high school recruits will come from the following Six:
[Rankings are 247Composite:]

#16, Nakobe Dean, ILB -- long shot, but his desire to become a mechanical engineer should greatly improve our chances
#175, Marcus Stripling, SDE
#266, Marcus Banks, CB
#279, Javonne Shepherd, OT
#385, Jalen Wydermyer, TE
#411, David Ugwoegbu, WDE/LB

#6, Ishmael Sopsher, DT is a huge long, long shot but is of the extreme top caliber talent [Like #13 Kenyon Green and #16 Dean] that we will eventually have to haul in to win the SEC WEST.

#82, Jeffery 'Scooby' Carter, 6-0, 185, CB/S. We also definitely cannot allow Carter to slip away. He is extremely valuable in significantly improving our defensive backs.
If we sign our current four committed DB + Banks, Imagine the competence our DBs two years from now.

Edited (11/12/18) to add:
#65, Marquez Beason, 5-10, 177, WR --- Illinois commit; former teammate of Brian Williams [LSU 72%, IL 22%, Ags 6%].
Although we have a slew of good young WR and have only three slots left, Marquez is such an incredible talent that Jimbo would probably make room for him if he wants to come to A&M.
I wonder what the attraction is between Marquez and Illinois?
Aston04
AG
^Add Beason to the list of possible kids. Lovie could be gone after this season.
MidTnAg
AG
Elijah Blades, Nov 12, 2018 Twitter statement:
Aggie FB Recruits
= =
#1 JC CB
Elijah Blades, 6-2, 170, CB --- JC #5, Oregon commit [2017 high school ranking, #133, 0.9396]
= =
Louisville Football Web site:
https://bigredlouie.com/2018/04/26/louisville-football-offers-top-juco-cornerback/
"Blades is a long, athletic corner with a rare combination of size and speed. He's all of 6-2 but runs in the 4.4 range and has the ability to be a lockdown corner in college. He's a tough, physical player who excels in press coverage and has good ball skills as well."
= = =
Oregon commit Elijah Blades visiting SEC school:
https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Oregon-Football-Recruiting-Commit-Elijah-Blades-visiting-SEC-school-Texas-AM-121505599/
= = =
Texags rating:
https://texags.com/players/7228/elijah-blades
AG
He may be 6'2", but if he's only 170, that could be a real issue in the SEC. Myles Jones is listed at 185, and he looks like a string bean.
technoviking
AG
I think things are gonna get crazy after the season is over regarding recruiting.
Aston04
AG
4 said:

He may be 6'2", but if he's only 170, that could be a real issue in the SEC. Myles Jones is listed at 185, and he looks like a string bean.
Needless to say, if he can cover really well, we can work out the rest.
MidTnAg
AG
All recruits listed below are listed as offered on 247Sports

Loss of #91 CB Jeffery Carter could be offset some by signing one or more of:
#189, Marcus Banks, 6-0, 170, CB --- former LSU commit
JC #5, #1 JC CB, Elijah Blades, 6-2, 170 --- Oregon commit
JC #10, #3 JC CB, Dreshun Miller, 6-2, 175 --- LSU commit

Loss of #145 ILB Christian Harris could definitely be offset by signing one (or both) of:
#15, Nakobe Dean, 6-0, 220, ILB --- He needs to fall in love with our ME Department
#130, Devonte Lee, 6-2, 212, ATH/LB --- [LSU 95%]

Loss of #145 ILB Christian Harris could be partially offset by signing one or more of:
#454, Ke'Shun Brown, 6-1, 225, ILB Apparently between UTK and TAMU
#639, Zach Edwards, 6-2, 217, ILB
#880, Kevon Glenn, 6-1, 220, ILB --- [FSU 100%]
#916, Tye Edwards, 6-3, 215, OLB --- [AL, AU, GA, also offered] -- issues?
#1396, Christopher Russell, 6-2, 220, ILB --- [AR 50%]
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.