The Sanders connection

7,403 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bone6
technoviking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
a crystal ball came in today for Umstead Sanders, an OLB from Hinds C.C. in Mississippi. His offer list is small (Jackson State, Murray State), however, Brian Perroni says he's the brother of 2019 5 Star ATH Trey Sanders.

Shrewd move, Jimbo, shrewd move!

Here's Umstead's highlight tape from this last year:

The kid's got hustle, he could fill in the depth chart at LBer nicely and definitely fit in on special teams.

Here are some Trey highlights:

As a running back at IMG this last year:

Playing RB in addition to DB his sophomore year:

padreislandagfan
That's some 4d chess recruiting there.
Getting a juco LB to sweeten the deal for his 5Star RB brother
I like it!
Go get em JIMBO.
Coward Jimbo
AG
1:10 on Umstead's film. WOW.
Rossko
AG
Give me kids that play like 3:27 all day. Love seeing that kind of stuff chasing down a WR screen on the outside.
technoviking
cevans_40
AG
Same conference as East Mississippi (Last Chance U). This is some pretty good competition for Juco.
technoviking
AG
247 has a story about another 5 Star 2019er coming to college station this weekend and the dude on the cover of it looks a lot like trey sanders. I'm thinking offering Umstead was a great move.
CrazyDayDuck
Reminds me a lot of when we were recruiting Martellus and then discovered his brother Michael.

I'm more stoked about Umstead than Trey actually. We need to drastically upgrade our D, and he looks the part of a true SEC Linebacker.
technoviking
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Reminds me a lot of when we were recruiting Martellus and then discovered his brother Michael.

I'm more stoked about Umstead than Trey actually. We need to drastically upgrade our D, and he looks the part of a true SEC Linebacker.
Umstead is good. Trey looks to have heisman finalist ability
CrazyDayDuck
technoviking said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Umstead is good. Trey looks to have heisman finalist ability

Two is always better than one.
CrazyDayDuck
Any word on Umstead?

With Javontae Jean-Baptiste going to Ohio State, I think we could use him.

The kid looks SEC ready now.
Bone6
Love it.

Nobody was excited about Michael Bennett when we landed Martellus. Michael had a very good career and maybe a better NFL career than his more highly touted brother.
technoviking
AG
Bone6 said:

Love it.

Nobody was excited about Michael Bennett when we landed Martellus. Michael had a very good career and maybe a better NFL career than his more highly touted brother.

So about that.... his younger 5* brother trey no showed the weekend that unstead visited, so he left college station without an offer. It sounds like if the staff feels that trey isn't interested in going where his brother goes they won't offer him.

Or maybe it means they felt confident that Vernon Jackson would commit so they didn't offer him?
CrazyDayDuck
The last couple of Crystal balls had Jackson coming our way.

Kind of feel bad for Umstead but he looks like a competitor. Jackson State got a good one imo.
technoviking
AG
yea he plays with heart. im surprised he didn't get much division I attention
MidTnAg
AG
"His offer list is small (Jackson State, Murray State)"

I don't understand the interest in Sanders. I realize he plays a position (OLB) that we desperately need, and he does have the size, but does anyone think he can ever make it in the SEC?
CrazyDayDuck
technoviking said:

yea he plays with heart. im surprised he didn't get much division I attention

Especially considering that bringing him in gives you a shot at his brother.

Maybe he has a bad time in the 40.

Something appears to be turning off scouts.
CrazyDayDuck
MidTnAg said:

does anyone think he can ever make it in the SEC?

Perroni seemed pretty excited about him.

Donovan Wilson didn't have many (if any) offers from any Power 5 schools until we showed interest. And then suddenly Saban did too. Same with Thomas a couple of years ago. Stoops only showed interest after we did.
Bone6
technoviking said:

Bone6 said:

Love it.

So about that.... his younger 5* brother trey no showed the weekend that unstead visited, so he left college station without an offer. It sounds like if the staff feels that trey isn't interested in going where his brother goes they won't offer him.

Or maybe it means they felt confident that Vernon Jackson would commit so they didn't offer him?
Man if I were him I would be really pissed at his brother then. All you had to do was show up on campus to allow me to get a full ride at a major program like a&m. You don't have to commit to a&m, just show up and be toured around so I can get a top level education and play at a power program.
CuervoAg
AG
He shouldn't be upset at his brother at all. I'm sure he wants to be wanted based on his own merit and a honest chance to play. Not to be used as a hedge to get his little bro.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." -- Dean Wormer, Faber College President
Bone6
Couldn't disagree more...

My football playing career ended in High School. I would have given my left arm to have had a full ride at a major D1 program and been part of a power 5 team. Even if I knew they didn't truly want me, I would have happily taken my free education at a school of a&m's caliber as I simply added depth or contributed on the practice squad.

EDIT: Plus, if the kid is a competitor, he undoubtedly thinks that once he's on campus he'll be able to prove the coaches that he belongs on the field (even if he's misguided).

I stand by being pissed at a brother who wouldn't sacrifice one day for a visit that could dramatically change the opportunities in my life.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.