Recruiting in Houston

10,377 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OilFieldIRI
DM44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Read an article tonight that declared Herman owns Houston in terms of recruiting.

Sips are doing really well overall. But, looks like A&M and sips each have six 4-star commits from the greater Houston area. Sips appear to be most interested in DBs and receivers. A&M seems to be more diversified, which is a good thing.

technoviking
AG
I'm interested, which website was this article from and who was he author?

It's been pointed out several times in other threads what you've hit on: right now tommy boy's vaunted class consists of DBs and WRs. He needs to focus on the Oline or mighty Sam will go from being the next Colt McCoy to David Ash 2.0 in a hurry.
MidTnAg
AG
Regarding recruiting overall:

247 Rankings of Commitments of Top 20 from Texas

Sips: #2 (S), #3 (S), #4 (WR), #5 (CB), #9 (S), #10 (WR), #13 (DT), #15 (CB), #18 (RB)
TAMU: #6 (WR), #8 (S), #12 (SDE)

Clearly, sips are doing much better than us so far in Texas.
= = =
247 Rankings of Teams

Sips have the #2 ranked class so far: 5 Stars (1), 4 Stars (14), 3 Stars (4)
TAMU has the #13 ranked class so far: 5 Stars (0), 4 Stars (5), 3 Stars (8)

Clearly, sips are doing much better overall than us so far.

Hopefully, we can catch up eventually.
technoviking
AG
again... the top recruits are all DBs and WRs. that's cool that the three deep will be full of high 4 stars and all. it sets up nicely for some highly touted transfers in the future

their lines need more work than their secondary or receiving corps do.
Maroon Flash
AG
You want a team that shows up to play or a team loaded with 4 and 5 stars that grossly underachieves?
helloag99
The real question... can sumlin differentiate his program vs tu herman. Aka sec vs bdf....
Chosen One
Maroon Flash said:

You want a team that shows up to play or a team loaded with 4 and 5 stars that grossly underachieves?
Please, if the roles were reversed you would be all over how you will be playing for championships next year.

If you look at the talent in this cycle, there is tons of WR and DB talent and Texas is stocking up. There isn't a lot of OL talent this cycle and that is why Texas is looking out of state right now. Texas will take 4 or 5 guys because that is all they have room for and they already have 2 guys committed.

It's not often you get such deep classes of DB and WR and Texas has done well in both areas. But don't be fooled

Texas has according to 247

#7 rated drop back passer in the country
#12 rated duel threat QB in the country

#7 rated Running back in the country

#7 rated Tight end in the country
#1 rated Juco Tight end (for now)

#7 rated DT in the country

#4 rated ILB in the country

As for the Oline
#21 rated OT and #33 rated OT

Texas just hosted the #1 Juco OT this last weekend and is leading for the #20 rated OT as well.

This class for Texas is a long way from being over and right now it sucks seeing them lose two games they easily could have won, but those are the breaks. Hopefully some of our injured linemen can come back for the last few games to give the offensive line a boost.

When it's all said and done I think Texas will lose a couple guys the Juco TE and one WR are pretty iffy right now, I'm also not sure Cam Rising sticks with his commitment as well. Have to wait and see. Texas is entering the easier part of their schedule so I expect to see a few more wins. But this is Texas Ags and some where in between my sunshine pumping and your doom and gloom is where they will end.
technoviking
AG
How many commits are expected to sign in December for tommy boy?
Punked Shank
AG
Easy part of the schedule? TCU, WVU, and tech will probably wipe the floor UT.

And baylor isn't a given W either..
Chosen One
coastsrs said:

Easy part of the schedule? TCU, WVU, and tech will probably wipe the floor UT.

And baylor isn't a given W either..
Nothing is a given, just ask LSU about Troy Oklahoma about ISU, and Clemson about Syracuse. I haven't watched a second of Baylor football but seeing as UTSA dominated them, I feel pretty good about our chances.

I'm not concerned about teams that are all offense and no defense, I am however pretty sure TCU is going to destroy Texas in two weeks. I'll be happy if Texas scores in that game.

As for guys who will sign in December

Cam Rising, Brennan Eagles, Dominick Wood-Anderson, Casey Thompson, Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, and if he commits Anthony Cook. Might be a couple more those are the ones I've seen of the top of my head.
TCSD84
Dominick Anderson just decommitted. Chosen one with his finger on the pulse of sip recruiting. I guess 3-4 doesn't sell that well after all.
MetoliusAg
1. For the past 8 or 9 years, utex recruiting classes have had quite a few commits who were given inflated ratings. That's why the sips are 46-43 in this decade. This year the inflation will continue.

2. The sip poster said 2017 is an unusually talent-laden year for pass receivers in the state of Texas high school ranks. Is he right?

No. Ever since 7-on-7 teams, spread offenses, and summer football camps became ubiquitous in Texas high school football, the state has been producing a ton of D1 wr prospects every year. But only a few of them typically go on to become really good D1 receivers. The rest become solid contributors, JAGs, medical schollies, or transfers. Last year 13 of the state's top 50 ranked prospects were receivers. This year 12 of the top 50 ranked prospects are receivers.

3. The one thing helping the sips the most in recruiting for 2018 is their depth chart. Their 2017 and 2016 classes have been giant turds.
Chosen One
TCSD84 said:

Dominick Anderson just decommitted. Chosen one with his finger on the pulse of sip recruiting. I guess 3-4 doesn't sell that well after all.
Dude has been looking for a reason to de-commit since he committed. He will likely end up at either blOwU or Bama.

He is only a stop gap, he will go to some school for one year and then he is off to the NFL, he is that good. I'm sorry to see him de-commit, but even if we beat OSU I expected him to leave at some point. Same thing with the kid from Kentucky, he will eventually de-commit as well, he is just looking for a school closer to home where he feels equally at home.
technoviking
AG
Chosen One said:

TCSD84 said:

Dude has been looking for a reason to de-commit since he committed. He will likely end up at either blOwU or Bama.

He is only a stop gap, he will go to some school for one year and then he is off to the NFL, he is that good. I'm sorry to see him de-commit, but even if we beat OSU I expected him to leave at some point. Same thing with the kid from Kentucky, he will eventually de-commit as well, he is just looking for a school closer to home where he feels equally at home.
dude, you just said you thought he would sign in december. now you're saying you expected him to leave all along.
Chosen One
etcetera said:

1. For the past 8 or 9 years, utex recruiting classes have had quite a few commits who were given inflated ratings. That's why the sips are 46-43 in this decade. This year the inflation will continue.

2. The sip poster said 2017 is an unusually talent-laden year for pass receivers in the state of Texas high school ranks. Is he right?

No. Ever since 7-on-7 teams, spread offenses, and summer football camps became ubiquitous in Texas high school football, the state has been producing a ton of D1 wr prospects every year. But only a few of them typically go on to become really good D1 receivers. The rest become solid contributors, JAGs, medical schollies, or transfers. Last year 13 of the state's top 50 ranked prospects were receivers. This year 12 of the top 50 ranked prospects are receivers.

3. The one thing helping the sips the most in recruiting for 2018 is their depth chart. Their 2017 and 2016 classes have been giant turds.
I'll address these one after another.

1. How many of the guys we have on our roster were offered by A&M, or bama, or some other school only to come to Texas? There is always going to be guys that are hits and misses. 2002 might have been the best class Texas ever signed according to the ranking systems, however of the 5 5'star guys that Texas signed in that class only a couple actually panned out. One of them just happened to be Vince Young.

2005 might have been one of Mack Brown's worst classes according to the recruiting services, it was ranked 20th with only 14 signees. However it produced more guys that went on to become the back bone of the 2008 - 2009 seasons including: Quan Crosby, Colt McCoy, Jamal Charles, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Lewis, Henery Milton, Michael Houston, Roy Miller, and Rod Muckleroy. Out of those 14 players on 3 didn't pan out.

Do you know how I know your logic doesn't hold water? 5 DBs committed with 4 being in the top 75 players in the country and the 5th being ranked # 135 according to the 247 composite rankings and we have one of the best defensive backfields in the country. Deshon Elliott was just named a Thorpe Award finalist, Holton Hill has been virtually unchallenged this year. Our weak spots have been Brandon Jones, a guy your school made a video for. That is how much you wanted him, and Chris Boyd, but even Boyd had shown incredible improvement over the last couple games.

You want to know the real reason we have so many great players committed. Texas has so many great recruiters on their staff. DB coach Jason Washington might be the recruiter of the year, and he isn't our best recruiter, that would be Tim Beck.

2. You might be right about 2018 receiver class when compared to the 2017 class but look at 2019 and 2016 and before, you will see this class is pretty deep with good WRs. I never said it was the deepest class, but it is deep.

3. Not sure how you or anyone can call a class of true freshmen a bust when most haven't had a chance to either develop or fizzle out. Hell Texas is getting pretty damn good production out of several signees from that class including Sam Ehlinger, Toneil Carter, Josh Thompson, Derek Kerstettler, Ta'Quon Graham, and Cade Brewer. As for our 2016 class, it has been equally as productive if not more so.

My only complaint about this year has been the injuries to our offensive line, other than that, this has been a year where 3 plays are the difference in Texas being 3-4 and 6-1. That is why most of our recruits are not jumping ship.
Chosen One
technoviking said:

Chosen One said:

TCSD84 said:

dude, you just said you thought he would sign in december. now you're saying you expected him to leave all along.

I said he is a december signee, I didn't say he would sign with Texas, most of us were expecting this since he committed. Even then he was pretty wishy washy with his commitment. Bama hasn't stopped recruiting him since he committed to us. I'm actually hoping he signs with them as he would give Texas a shot at the TE from Illinois.
technoviking
AG
fair enough. do you expect all three safeties to sign? or do you think one will look elsewhere?

i'll admit, so far the cornerback recruiting has got me the most concerned going forward, and that's one area like you said tommy boy is doing well in. we can patchwork a secondary for next year, but the year after that could get really young and inexperienced really quickly.

the OL recruiting has me the most pleased.

A&M really needs to hold on to Dashaun White. There's talks of moving Brian Johnson down to OLB and I would assume redshirting him, which is cool because he looks like a talented tackler. The last two years of LB recruiting have been nice but only having one LB commit this year could leave the squad threadbare in the future. LBers seem to be hard to come by in Texas nowadays. Y'alls LB commit is out of Florida via Missouri. It's crazy to see two Texas LBs committed to TAMU and UT combined. This is the state of football in Texas I suppose though.

the three major battles i see going forward are Joseph Ossai, Bobby Brown and to a lesser extent Dashaun White - Dashaun seems pretty solid. Max Wright is a big get, but being able to bolster that defensive line further, considering Max's injury, is going to be critical in the next couple years. looking forward to 2019 Sumlin has the team in position for a some standout DEs in Marcus Stripling and NaNa Osafo-Mensah.

MetoliusAg
Sip:

1. utx has a great pass defense?

You have the 113th-worst pass defense nationally out of 130 D1 teams. That isn't "elite" pass defending. It isn't "good". It doesn't even qualify as "mediocre". Sucktastic is what it is.

2. Over-inflated recruiting class rankings

If your recruiting class rankings haven't been overinflated for the past several years, why does your program sit at 46 wins and 43 losses this decade?

Why are you on the cusp of a 4th straight losing season?

Which of the other nine schools in the B12 have had recruiting class rankings on par with yours?
Chosen One
technoviking said:

fair enough. do you expect all three safeties to sign? or do you think one will look elsewhere?

i'll admit, so far the cornerback recruiting has got me the most concerned going forward, and that's one area like you said tommy boy is doing well in. we can patchwork a secondary for next year, but the year after that could get really young and inexperienced really quickly.

the OL recruiting has me the most pleased.

A&M really needs to hold on to Dashaun White. There's talks of moving Brian Johnson down to OLB and I would assume redshirting him, which is cool because he looks like a talented tackler. The last two years of LB recruiting have been nice but only having one LB commit this year could leave the squad threadbare in the future. LBers seem to be hard to come by in Texas nowadays. Y'alls LB commit is out of Florida via Missouri. It's crazy to see two Texas LBs committed to TAMU and UT combined. This is the state of football in Texas I suppose though.

the three major battles i see going forward are Joseph Ossai, Bobby Brown and to a lesser extent Dashaun White - Dashaun seems pretty solid. Max Wright is a big get, but being able to bolster that defensive line further, considering Max's injury, is going to be critical in the next couple years. looking forward to 2019 Sumlin has the team in position for a some standout DEs in Marcus Stripling and NaNa Osafo-Mensah.

1. I feel really good about all the DBs sticking with their commitment. Even if Texas gets Anthony Cook I don't see any of them de-committing. DeMarvion Overshown is 6'4 and the coaches expect him to grow into a linebacker, he has also talked about this. BJ Foster and Caden Sterns are the most vocal of the class and seem to be our biggest recruiters along with DeShawn Jamison and AlVonte Woodward. All those guys are pretty solid. Green has been the quietest of all our recruits, so I'm not sure about him.

2. Your happiness with oline recruiting is my dispair. I never saw the number of injuries coming that Texas has suffered. Of the 5 guys we anticipated starting at the beginning of the year, 4 are now injured. Add to that two guys who could be starting now if they stayed with Texas and you have the perfect poop storm for our oline. Texas has two guys committed and we need about 3 more. Hell there are guys on Shaggy that are begging for Texas to reach out to Sherman to see if he can't fix our oline.

3. White isn't going anywhere as long as Sumlin is your coach. If Sumlin goes then I think he is open for business. Ossai is a coin flip, but you guys get the last official visit before he makes his announcement so that probably puts you in the drivers seat.

4. Max is solid to you guys no matter what happens with the coaches, I think he was meant to be an Aggie. Too bad, he would do fantastic as a strong side DE in our defense. At lease until he grows into a DT, which I expect him to do.
Chosen One
etcetera said:

Sip:

1. utx has a great pass defense?

You have the 113th-worst pass defense nationally out of 130 D1 teams. That isn't "elite" pass defending. It isn't "good". It doesn't even qualify as "mediocre". Sucktastic is what it is.

2. Over-inflated recruiting class rankings

If your recruiting class rankings haven't been overinflated for the past several years, why does your program sit at 46 wins and 43 losses this decade?

Why are you on the cusp of a 4th straight losing season?

Which of the other nine schools in the B12 have had recruiting class rankings on par with yours?

Not the place for this discussion, table it for the Old Rivalry board. Keep this about recruiting.
MetoliusAg
They're simply facts that undermine your false recruiting claims.
technoviking
AG
A&M took a blow today as Dominic Livingston decommitted and is trending to LSU.

That puts even more of the onus on Sumlin to get Bobby Brown. He's gotta come away from this cycle with at least one big man in the middle. Maybe Tayland Humphrey becomes a focus, but his offer list makes me think there's a lot to be desired..
MetoliusAg
He still has us as his favorite, but yeah, he's looking at all his options. Other programs have been after him hard.

As you know, pretty much every P5 team needs to sign two interior DL in every recruiting class. Problem is, those guys are few in numbers.

It's a challenge every year, and it has been that way for at least the past 30 years. It must drive coaches crazy.
Chosen One
technoviking said:

That puts even more of the onus on Sumlin to get Bobby Brown. He's gotta come away from this cycle with at least one big man in the middle. Maybe Tayland Humphrey becomes a focus, but his offer list makes me think there's a lot to be desired..
Brown is yours, no doubt, his top schools are Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, and Bama. I don't see Bama taking him with so many great players on their radar and very few scholarships to offer. He doesn't talk much to Texas anymore and hasn't visited in a long time. That leaves you guys and blOwU. I'm pretty sure he will pick the Aggies.
technoviking
AG
it's looking like you are right with a CB rolling in for Bobby Brown to a&m this morning.

anthony cook has had ~1,000 crystal balls roll in for texas, when is he gonna commit?
Chosen One
Looks like Cook has rescheduled his commitment date to Dec 20.

I'm much less optimistic about Texas getting him now as it looks like LSU has really made a huge push for him by selling him on a small DB class and immediate playing time. The 9.95 guys say that right now Ohio State is a distant third with physical distance being the key factor. With all signs pointing to Holton Hill leaving early for the NFL he'd have a shot at starting at Texas next year or at a minimum being in the two-deep.

If I had to guess, I'd say he is looking to see how Texas finishes their season.
technoviking
AG
that's a scary prospect having all those DBs back there for the next few years. it'll serve y'all well in the pass happy big 12.

i'm generally excited about a&m's class. but, i fear what may happen to it if sumlin is given the hook. of course, if having a coach that can win in this division at home means that this class gets blown up, i'll take it. but, it's a risk. i hope the next guy is able to convince these guys to come. depending on how sumlin is treated during his exit, he could help the aggies keep the class together too. we'll see

what's the deal with ayodele getting a CB to Owho? dashaun white had some too.. it was obviously because of his reaction to a&m losing to MSU..
Chosen One
I'll take Tom Herman any day over Charlie Strong, it was worth losing a very promising 2017 class to get rid of a guy that was never going to be more than a 6-6 coach. Nothing against Strong, but he just wasn't the right fit for the Big 12 style of play.

If you get rid of Sumlin, a guy that will never be better than a 3rd place finish in the SEC West, and you bring in a upgrade, even if he is a marginal upgrade, it will be worth losing one class. Besides you will get an upswing in recruiting the next year like Texas has this year.

GoodOldAgs
technoviking said:

What? According to his 247 page he has offers from Bama, Auburn, FSU, UGA, LSU, OU, and more. He has a very good offer list, his film is awesome, and he is an absolute must get as he can step in day one and replace Henderson as a starter.
Chosen One
So word out of Austin is that Texas will likely be saying goodbye to Oline coach. If this is Sumlin's last go-around with you guys. I'm really really hoping Texas goes hard after the Marine. That dude is legit and I'd sure love to have him in Austin.

Which brings me back to Sumlin. If in fact you guys lose him. You will likely lose some key recruits in the process. However with that said I think you will keep the following guys

Max Wright
Luke Matthews
Jalen Preston
Colton Blanton

I'm pretty sure you will lose DaShaun White, he was close to flipping to OU on his visit. Leon Oneal is a 50/50 right now sadly if he flips it will also be to OU. I sure hope you will keep him.

The haven't hard anything about the rest. I know Texas is going to go hard after 3 of your commitments, White, Brown and possibly Barton Clements.
Chosen One
Football Brainiacs just posted that Dashaun White will be visiting Texas this weekend. Dashaun has acknowledged that Kevin Sumlin will likely be fired and he is ramping up his visits at this time.
Chosen One
Interesting tidbit was posted on the Spurs Talk website.

Ossi was on his visit this past weekend to Texas A&M and the coaches told him they would be retained for another year. If true it's pretty big news and will take all your committed guys off the table.

I'm not sure this is good or bad news for you guys, it saves a promising class but I think it is also putting off the inevitable. I'm sure many here would agree with me on this.
technoviking
AG
sumlin is going.. sumlin is staying.... sumlin is...

i'm having to temper my recruiting expectations right now because i don't know what to expect. if sumlin goes i imagine a good part of the class will be poached. if he stays i'm looking forward to keeping the majority of the class. but... sumlin is still the coach.

appreciate the info.
LtZogg
Oops
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Chosen One
Any new news about who A&M is targetting?

Since this is a transition class how many recruits are expected to sign this cycle?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.