am I looking at this right?

4,571 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Chosen One
cr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am a casual follower of recruiting. I just took a peek at 247 sports.

tu has 4 of the top 5 recruits in the state.

Herman recruited very well at Houston and appears to have kicked it into overdrive at tu.

Are we concerned?
technoviking
AG
garc said:

Herman recruited very well at Houston and appears to have kicked it into overdrive at tu.

Are we concerned?
do you want to be concerned? february is a ways away, but this recruiting cycle tommy boy has a couple of advantages: he can negative recruit sumlin (saying that he's on his way out) and he still has that new car (F-250?) smell.

the only thing sumlin can do to counter it is win.

one thing to consider is the positions that are being recruited. most of the top recruits that are favoring tommy boy are WRs/DBs. whereas we are getting Olinemen. I like that aspect of it.

tu's worst position group is the OLine. if herman doesn't address that, he'll end up looking a lot like sumlin did when he didn't address the OL.
cr
technoviking said:

garc said:

Are we concerned?
do you want to be concerned? february is a ways away, but this recruiting cycle tommy boy has a couple of advantages: he can negative recruit sumlin (saying that he's on his way out) and he still has that new car (F-250?) smell.

the only thing sumlin can do to counter it is win.

one thing to consider is the positions that are being recruited. most of the top recruits that are favoring tommy boy are WRs/DBs. whereas we are getting Olinemen. I like that aspect of it.

tu's worst position group is the OLine. if herman doesn't address that, he'll end up looking a lot like sumlin did when he didn't address the OL.

i thought they added early signing this year in December?
technoviking
AG
You are correct. Still a lot of games to be played. And who knows how many of these kids will decide to sign in December and how many wait until February.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
technoviking said:

Sort of this.

tu's recruiting on OL and DL have been terrible. And it's not looking up either. Those positions often take a long time do develop due to the needed physical maturity and they're not in a good place with either one.

Regarding Sumlin, it's not that he didn't address it, it's more that we've had crap luck with a lot of OL recruits having to retire due to injuries. And a couple highly-rated busts like Ish Wilson and Tank Davis.
technoviking
AG
that's very true. but, our line this year has shown some consistency and are physically mature. they'll pretty much all be back along with a couple other redshirts like grayson reed and carson green. I like the depth we have there combined with j. turner.

this year's OL haul is impressive so far. sumlin's done well in this area lately imo.
Bobaloo
I was fortunate enough to be field level on Saturday prior to the game. Our OL are cut from the same cloth - BIG guys who are in good shape. They are just young. I'm very pumped about this group. As a general rule, I'll take an interior OL/DL over a WR any day of the week unless the WR is HOF caliber like Julio Jones. We've had good receivers for the last 15 years. The Patriots and Tech find good ones off the waiver wire or some small dust ridden town in West Texas.
TCSD84
garc said:

Are we concerned?
Sip lurkers ^^^ really need to try harder.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Lurkers....plus splash of new coach always gets a few kids

Watching local SA news last night you would think tu was ranked #1 and undefeated after a OT umpire assisted win over ksu
cr
TCSD84 said:

garc said:

Are we concerned?
Sip lurkers ^^^ really need to try harder.

Reality bites, thus I'm a lurker?! I posted up a fact: the sips have 4 of the top 5. Herman recruited very well at Houston, another fact. Much better than Sumlin did, another fact.

How much of this is a honeymoon bump and how much is sustainable, we shall see. We've had a an edge on tu in recruiting since Sumlin arrived; let;s hope this is not the beginning of the end of it.

I've been on this board forever and had an Ag tag before I got perma banned. What's your excuse for no ag tag?

hth
Class of 65
AG
Does the early signing date (dec) go into effect this year or next?
technoviking
AG
This year is the first year they can sign early.

College football's early signing period was already a formality, but now it's official. After an NCAA panel signed off on the idea last month, the Collegiate Commissioners Association a committee of league commissioners gave the new signing period final approval on Monday, it announced. The early signing period goes into effect this year, making Class of 2018 recruits the first to have the choice of using it.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/5/8/15585942/ncaa-early-signing-period-date-2017
Matsui
AG
Herman is going to do well there. Yes we had a chance but didn't capitalize on them being down.
Chosen One
As a Texas fan, I'm much more concerned about Oline recruiting than Dline recruiting. The Texas Dline is stacked for the next couple years and they have a commitment from the top DT in the state. Dline will be fine. The online was supposed to be a strength this year.

Texas started out with 18 scholarship linemen. Two guys transferred, one was a senior that would have likely started considering the injuries, the other was a very promising tackle who also could have been in line for major playing time.

Then Texas lost 6 guys to injuries including the #1 OT in the country. That has left 10 scholarship linemen for the rest of the year.

I am really excited about OT Derek Kersettler, he is a true freshmen and has played very well as a ROT and I think he will be a good one for the next 4 years. The starters are growing, the KSU game was their best game of the year. Still when healthy this should be a pretty decent group.

Back to recruiting, Texas was scheduled to lose 3 guys to graduation and 1 to early entry into the NFL, now I'm thinking they lose about 6 guys total. Texas has to guys committed that are both likely going to be OTs. They lead for a solid kid out of Utah, and are now recruiting a juco kid out of NY. Get those two and the line recruiting will be solid, however I am still hoping Texas can flip Cameron Wire away from LSU.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.