We Should Start Recruiting Mississippi A Lot Harder

3,481 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bone6
Maroon Flash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is a lot of talent there that should be ripe for picking given the problems at Ole Miss.
AgOutsideAustin
MidTnAg
AG
By my calculations, according to 247 composite, Texas has 42 4/5-star players while Mississippi has only 1.

Sumlin has to do a much much better job recruiting in Texas first.
Maroon Flash
AG
1. Mississippi is an SEC state, players there will almost unanimously go to an SEC team over any other conference.

2. Ole Miss is in deep crap with the NCAA and MSU is now being called out.

3. On a per capita basis, 1.6 x more NFL players are born in Mississippi as compared to Texas.

I said nothing about not recruiting Texas harder, but there are some studs in Mississippi that we should be going after.
B-1 83
AG
Maroon Flash said:

1. Mississippi is an SEC state, players there will almost unanimously go to an SEC team over any other conference.

2. Ole Miss is in deep crap with the NCAA and MSU is now being called out.

3. On a per capita basis, 1.6 x more NFL players are born in Mississippi as compared to Texas.

I said nothing about not recruiting Texas harder, but there are some studs in Mississippi that we should be going after.
On a per capita basis, there's not nearly the "capita" in Mississippi. Math is fun.
Meximan
The best Mississippi Meanies are along the lines, and a few linebackers. Those guys can ball.
Maroon Flash
AG
Quote:

The best Mississippi Meanies are along the lines, and a few linebackers. Those guys can ball

Fletcher Cox comes to mind.
Bone6
Mississippi prospects have been raided by Alabama, Auburn, and to a lesser extent LSU as long as people have been playing college football. Ole Miss being down does not mean the door is wide open to get Miss talent.
Maroon Flash
AG
Quote:

Mississippi prospects have been raided by Alabama, Auburn, and to a lesser extent LSU as long as people have been playing college football. Ole Miss being down does not mean the door is wide open to get Miss talent.

I am very well aware of that but you've got to at least be in it to win it. And the door is more open than it has been in a long time.

The high schools along the road from Shelby County, Tennessee to Vicksburg, Mississippi have some high end talent that isn't always well publicized. A small local high school had Pork Chop Womack and Ken Lucas on the same team. Fletcher Cox is from Yazoo City.
MidTnAg
AG
We should put more effort on recruiting better coaches. No matter where they are from.
Bone6
My point is it would still be a waste of resources to be "in it" as although it's more open than it's been since Freeze arrived at Ole Miss, it's still basically shut for us. After divorcing Brad Pitt the door for you to date Angelina Jolie is more open than it's ever been, but if I were you I wouldn't make any big bets on you marrying her.

Our position coaches should make initial contact with any prospect they perceive as a strong, blue chip caliber recruit in the area to see if there is any unexpected interest. Maybe if we have strike out at a position where the Texas talent pool is shallow/weak and need another player our coaches should scour the Mississippi film at that position to see if they can find a Mississippi prospect that could be a contributor.

Allocating significant resources to Mississippi when Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee have substantial advantages over us in the state would be a complete waste.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.