High school run camps for Junior High / Elementary kids

1,275 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brock Sampson
JayAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So sent my kids to a local high school's football camp that is run by the high school coaches. I sent them just to have something to do (plus really cheap), have fun, and knock some of the rust off. The camp was for incoming 2nd-6th graders. But they also have a separate camp for incoming 7th-8th.

My curiosity has made me curious from a high school coach's perspective. Are these annoying to do, does the district require them? Do you actually scout / take mental notes on any of these kids for future reference when they will be at the high school?
Raptor
AG
The main purpose is to build up the youth (the foundation) of the program. Get the kids excited about the high school football "dream" and hopefully something sticks. Scouting at that level is a waste of time. Some districts allow for coaches to make money off these camps/clinics, while others run them dirt cheap to build up interests.

I coordinate at a middle school that feeds into two high schools. Our camps help the kids see how each school runs their program and gives them insight to which program they might want to be a part of later on down the road.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Brock Sampson
AG
Gives kids and the community a chance to meet the coaches. Anything younger than junior high is to help build the culture.

Junior high camps (incoming 7th to incoming 9th) are very useful in installing the offense/defense the kids will use. Also helps coaches learn some of the kids and get them in a position.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.